• Sep 8th, 2019 8:25 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6042 posts
586 upvotes
SW Ontario
tvisforme wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm trying to be open-minded, but I'll admit that I fail to see the attraction of a cordless electric mower. Yes, I get that you're not having to manipulate the cord around the yard. That being said, there seem to be a lot of trade-offs - battery life, charging time, battery replacement etc - that a corded electric doesn't have.
They are powerful enough and last long enough for the average home. Unless you only cut it a few times a year or cut it really short then this isn’t for you.

It’s kind of the flexibility and portability is gas, but with the simplicity and cleanliness of electric.
Nov 9, 2008
7 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
KevinD50465 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 8:31 am
I do not recommend this. I have owned this for 4 years and totally regret buying this over a decent gas mower. If you have a small lawn you may be happy with it but on my 70' x 165' yard it takes up to 4-6 battery charges to complete. It does not have the power to cut through longer grass so if you accidentally let it get an inch longer than you normally do, expect it to choke up and force you to cut at a snails pace and use more batteries. It takes 90 mins to charge a battery so you won't get it done in one go.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Greenworks. I bought the Greenworks Twinforce DiLithium Powered 20" Mower back in 2013 and it still works like a champ, even chomping through crazy tall grass. I've not noticed any reduction in battery power over those 5+ years. And, because it has 2x 10" blades it has more torque than a 1x 20" blade. My property is 50'x150' and I can easily mow the front and back yards with just one battery, but the mower auto-switches to the second onboard 40V battery if need be.

My mower seems to be a big step up from this Ryobi for those that need something better. Even the Ryobi rep at Home Depot who was demonstrating his 20" mower to me realized it couldn't hold a candle to my Greenworks mower.
Last edited by blazercomp on Apr 12th, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1001 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
tvisforme wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm trying to be open-minded, but I'll admit that I fail to see the attraction of a cordless electric mower. Yes, I get that you're not having to manipulate the cord around the yard. That being said, there seem to be a lot of trade-offs - battery life, charging time, battery replacement etc - that a corded electric doesn't have.
I have a corded mower and the set up time is what is making me itch to get a battery one.

As I need to take the cord out, unwind it, lay it out, then mow, then fiddle with the cord while mowing.

Then I roll up the cord, lug everything back to the front of my town house (Im a mid unit so I need to pack it all up to go to the front) and repeat the process.

I figure with a battery mower, so long as I remember to keep the battery charged I can save myself a good 15-20 minutes of just moving stuff around and getting "set up"

Plus the cost/weight of a 100 ft cord jacks up the cost of a corded mower to make it pretty much a personal preference between a battery or corded.

I bought a corded mower for about $300 + cord @ $100 (roughly) then its pretty debatable to get a battery, at least in my eyes.

Having said all that though, how does this compare to an Ego mower?

Not to spark a debate, and this is a great deal but if the Ego mower is significantly better I may just save my dollars to get an Ego later on
May 24, 2017
288 posts
202 upvotes
GTA
This is a pretty good deal. If I didn't replace my batteries last year on the black and decker, I would buy this. I was actually very happy with the black and decker mower. I could not find a reasonable replacement battery. However, with some you tube searches, and checking specs, I bought the internal "guts" of the individual batteries for about $130 shipped to my door. Posting a pic (if it will let me). Your models may be different, so do the same thing I did. Google search! The YouTube videos helped with tutorials on how to open the plastic case, etc.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190413-001011.png
Nov 24, 2012
804 posts
580 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
GT!! wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:17 pm
How about turning this around ... I fail to see the attraction of a gas mower (and I own one).
It's a valid question in its own right, but not really a reversal of what I was asking about (since I was comparing corded and cordless electric).
chillychin wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:57 pm
I have a corded mower and the set up time is what is making me itch to get a battery one. As I need to take the cord out, unwind it, lay it out, then mow, then fiddle with the cord while mowing. Then I roll up the cord, lug everything back to the front of my town house (Im a mid unit so I need to pack it all up to go to the front) and repeat the process. I figure with a battery mower, so long as I remember to keep the battery charged I can save myself a good 15-20 minutes of just moving stuff around and getting "set up". Plus the cost/weight of a 100 ft cord jacks up the cost of a corded mower to make it pretty much a personal preference between a battery or corded. I bought a corded mower for about $300 + cord @ $100 (roughly) then its pretty debatable to get a battery, at least in my eyes.
To each their own, I suppose, although its never taken 10-15 minutes to set up a cord; I just wheel it out on top of the mower, toss it across the yard and mow. The cord certainly didn't cost $100 either and it has lasted for at least a decade now.
Dec 10, 2007
40 posts
19 upvotes
I bought this mower last year for the same sale. My only concern about it is battery longevity; I already had to replace one battery, which thankfully HD did under warranty.
Nov 26, 2007
767 posts
174 upvotes
London
I took a close look at this, and decided to wait for a sale on the Ego mower instead. I found this felt cheap in comparison, and lacked adjustment for someone over 6 feet tall. The Ego “feels” so much nicer.

That being said, the Ego was significantly more expensive and I can’t speak to the mowing quality difference.
Nov 21, 2008
472 posts
15 upvotes
Montreal
Got one last year, and I very much like it. It does feel a bit cheap compared to a metal gas mower, but I see no difference in mowing skills. I also like how it folds when I put it back in the shed.
Nov 26, 2013
562 posts
374 upvotes
Winnipeg
mavrik13 wrote: I took a close look at this, and decided to wait for a sale on the Ego mower instead. I found this felt cheap in comparison, and lacked adjustment for someone over 6 feet tall. The Ego “feels” so much nicer.

That being said, the Ego was significantly more expensive and I can’t speak to the mowing quality difference.
It’s better but not a night and day difference. Ego doesn’t go on sale often and when it does the discount is not significant. I would have preferred the Ryobi simply for the compact storage.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1835 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mobile_mic wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 4:44 pm
There is definitely a reduction in power for my Ryobi 40V vs my previous Craftsman gas mower. I generally mow once per week with the Ryobi and have no problems with my lawn. It struggles a bit in wet grass and thick weed, but that's electric for you. I don't have to add or change oil, and I no longer keep a jerry can of gasoline in my shed. I no longer own a 2 stroke trimmer, and get by just fine with my Ryobi battery powered trimmer (although it is weaker). Farewell 2-stroke engine oil and a special mixing container (I don't miss em)! I was leary about switching to battery powered, but now I can't imagine going back to small combustion engines. I definitely think the 20" Ryobi was a solid upgrade over the original 16" from a few years back on multiple levels. I even sold my 2 year old Ryobi 40V 16" on kijiji with a battery and charger for $250 which I thought was great given I got the 20" brand new for $300+HST.

Mic
For the trimmer, I completely agree with you... I switched from my 2 stroke, to an 18V, battery powered ryobi unit quite a few years ago, and could never see myself going back to any 2 stroke for this task (or any other). And it using standard Ryobi one 18V batteries, is nice also )nothing too custom). It isn't as powerful as a gas one, but unless you have fields of weeds, it is still pretty adequate.

However for my mower, I really don't see an issue or reason to switch. I have a 22 year old craftsman, and it still starts on first pull, and no issues. I don't baby it whatsoever. People mention maintenance on gas powered mowers as the downside.. Hmm.. Mine is 22yrs old mower, still on the original spark plug.. Oil is changed every 4 or 5 years (I just use 10W30 synthetic) and takes a whole 10 minutes max and the oil always comes out still looking super clean. Air filter, I just blow it out and reinstall it every other year It is probably due to be replaced after 22yrs, but for now, it works). And gas, yes, it uses gas, just like the electric uses electricity in a battery. It uses so little gas, that typically I go through "maybe" 2 tanks of gas per season. Only real maintenance is to add some fuel conditioner in the last fuel tank of the year, to make it easier for the first start the next year, and avoid the drying out of any carb seals.

So initial investment of about $250 on gas mower, on sale, 22 years ago.. And at most maybe $150 in gas/oil in the last 22 years... On the electric unit, it costs a little more up front (not by much when on sale), and then even after needing 1 replacement battery (probably in 5 to 8 years), it would cost more than all the costs in 22 years on my gas mower.. And when I run out of battery, it takes 90 minutes to charge again (unless you have a spare already on charge).. on gas, it take about 5 minutes to add some gas and keep going. And decreased power on electric would be annoying, since often I'll be too busy to mow every week, and then having to do 2 passes (once high, and once lower) to avoid it bogging down would be annoying.

So is it cleaner for the environment sure (assuming batteries are recycled properly).. Does it offer a lot of advantages? I don't see it. And cost, well, battery is still pricier overall.

Anyhow, to each their own. For now, I'll stick with my gas mower.. But it is nice to see the prices coming down.
Oct 31, 2018
74 posts
109 upvotes
4330 Adelaide St Tor…
Nice deal. Looks like the 5A battery cost $200 already. So $298 for a combo pack is pretty decent. Thanks OP
Lehmann L
Dec 16, 2006
73 posts
27 upvotes
miltonmichael wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 12:59 pm
Nice deal. Looks like the 5A battery cost $200 already. So $298 for a combo pack is pretty decent. Thanks OP
The flyer is a bit confusing...does the 5A battery and charger simply come in the box or is it in addition to whats normally included?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6042 posts
586 upvotes
SW Ontario
svcbn wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 6:32 pm
The flyer is a bit confusing...does the 5A battery and charger simply come in the box or is it in addition to whats normally included?
I think this is just a regular item just 25% off. So charger and battery included in the ‘kit’
Aug 20, 2018
45 posts
72 upvotes
Yeah as mentioned above [edit], you get the mower, charger, and one battery.

I took the plunge on this as I had the UK version before I moved, and I was lucky enough to get some other things on clearance in the UK so I have about four other batteries.

I should mention that I haven’t used this new one yet, but my Ryobi in the UK did get around my whole garden on one charge unless I’d gone out when still a bit damp (which you shouldn’t anyway) or the grass had got long.

This stands up really nicely too for storage.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1001 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
tvisforme wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 5:41 am
It's a valid question in its own right, but not really a reversal of what I was asking about (since I was comparing corded and cordless electric).

To each their own, I suppose, although its never taken 10-15 minutes to set up a cord; I just wheel it out on top of the mower, toss it across the yard and mow. The cord certainly didn't cost $100 either and it has lasted for at least a decade now.
I have this cord I believe: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky- ... 1000110992

I could have gotten a better deal somewhere likely, but I bought this a few years ago already

If I had more space in my garage I could probably leave the cord in a pile, but then I suspect that would still add on some time to untangle it when I take it out. Plus the weight of it.

If I lived in a fully detached house, I could just dump the cord out some where but in a single car garage mid unit town house, its a bit of a pain since I have to pack up and lug things from the front to the back.

And my lot size is pretty deep, so yah I did need the 100 ft cord to "comfortably" be able to maneuver around my backyard