[Home Depot] RYOBI 20" 40V Li-Ion Lawn Mower w/ 5Ah Battery & Charger - $298

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2019 8:25 pm
Sep 26, 2015
347 posts
163 upvotes
NeedaSuit wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 7:51 pm
see what I'm to gauge is whether to get the ryobi 20inch, while still needing a trimmer after.

reading comments that the kolbat is so-so & it is also just 16inch cut
I was in the same boat, needed both a mower and trimmer. Ended up going with Kobalt, seems like there are quite a few people that are happy with it.
May 17, 2017
15 posts
Contemplating between getting this and the makita lawn mower package: https://www.atlas-machinery.com/makita/dlm380z/ which also comes with the blower, but I’m more worried as to what the more reliable lawn mower is between the two.

Would anyone advise and provide some input for a 1st time non gas lawn mower purchaser?
May 22, 2016
200 posts
79 upvotes
Jivo88 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 11:33 am
Contemplating between getting this and the makita lawn mower package: https://www.atlas-machinery.com/makita/dlm380z/ which also comes with the blower, but I’m more worried as to what the more reliable lawn mower is between the two.

Would anyone advise and provide some input for a 1st time non gas lawn mower purchaser?
15" deck and 36V? I would be passing on that immediately.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3286 posts
1944 upvotes
Ottawa
SS76SS wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 11:40 am
15" deck and 36V? I would be passing on that immediately.
Yeah a mower with a 15 inch deck is almost in "aww that's cute" category.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Jan 22, 2013
215 posts
53 upvotes
VANCOUVER
For someone looking for a mower and trimmer, are battery powered ones worth it? I'm debating between corded and battery powered electric mowers. I'm not sure if I can justify the extra cost of the battery powered ones since I do have access to an electric outlet, but I do prefer a cordless trimmer so I can walk around the property without worrying about cords. My lawn size is about 200-300 sqft
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3286 posts
1944 upvotes
Ottawa
baingar wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 11:50 am
For someone looking for a mower and trimmer, are battery powered ones worth it? I'm debating between corded and battery powered electric mowers. I'm not sure if I can justify the extra cost of the battery powered ones since I do have access to an electric outlet, but I do prefer a cordless trimmer so I can walk around the property without worrying about cords. My lawn size is about 200-300 sqft
I had a gas trimmer that works fine enough but it was 4 cycle and heavy as shit. Got the Ryobi 40V trimmer and love it. It's not idling as you walk around, it's quiet. So I got the chainsaw. Then I got the lawnmower.....
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Oct 23, 2005
545 posts
169 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 4:28 pm
I'll be using this in conjunction with a reel mower (Fiskars), which I like but the reel mower doesn't mulch leaves (I get a lot), it won't cut long weeds and the grass tends to lay down. Though the lawn is thin so its a bit like a comb-over.

Anyway, the thing about using a reel mower for the last 5 years is it gets you out of that need to mow the whole lawn in one go, I just do pieces here and there as required, so if this won't do the whole lawn in one go it won't bother me. I'll probably only use it 4 or 5 times a year too so it should last.

I am really curious about its leave mulching capabilities though, can anybody chie in on this?
I am probably in the same boat of yours. I have been using Fiskar reel mower for the last 8 years, I enjoy using it. However, since i move to current home that i have a share lawn, I could not leave the clipping behind like i use to. It means i need to rake it every time.
When i was in HD last week to check out the Ryobi, the construction of the machine is not as good as the Ego. The folding capacity is also less user friendly in compare to Ego. Like someone already said, it reflects in the price.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1555 posts
126 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 4:22 pm
The issue of longer grass would probably be solved if they would put a side discharge on these instead of forcing you to mulch. It would make it work a lot less hard and make the batteries last longer. But seems that isn’t an option.
This mower does not mulch? Though letting the clipping fall to the ground is good for the growth of future grass?
May 7, 2012
788 posts
347 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 2:47 pm
This mower does not mulch? Though letting the clipping fall to the ground is good for the growth of future grass?
This mower can mulch or you can attach the bag to the rear discharge (open the discharge first). I mainly use the bag option in the fall to pick up leaves.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
reggyDeal wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 2:47 pm
It mulches or bags. That’s my point. No option for side discharge.
Jan 22, 2019
164 posts
124 upvotes
How are people liking this lawn mower? I'm about to pull the trigger on it to replace my 15+ year old gas mower that doesn't bag or mulch. I only have a 50x110ft lot.
Apr 14, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
There is a side discharge accessory that you can purchase separately. It fits where the mulch plug goes at the back. But no idea how well it works.
Jan 22, 2019
164 posts
124 upvotes
Seems like this is a much better deal than the 56V - 2x 2.5a WORX lawnmower that was on sale for $299 earlier in the winter. Guess I'll buy it. Really hoping the battery doesn't die quick. $200 for a new battery is expensive.