Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 20-inch 40V Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Push Lawn Mower w/ 5.0 Ah Battery & Charger - $358 IPU only

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 10:59 am
Apr 29, 2020
18 posts
12 upvotes
yeti13 wrote: I cannot mow my 2500+ sq foot lawn with one charge, how are you guys doing yours? The 5ah batteries are so expensive.

Aliexpress has 40v batteries but I'm afraid of getting junk cells.
What height are you going at it with? And are you doing it when wet ?

I find wait till it dries which is usually afternoon and or if long you start at a higher height and take two passes reducing to the desired on the second one
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4675 posts
731 upvotes
Great price for this mower. I got mine halfway through last summer for around the same price.

I picked up the 40v leaf blower too, so now I have 3ah and 5ah 40v batteries.

I've got a 50x100 lot and this can do 2 cuts on a single charge.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Nov 21, 2014
21 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I've had mine for 3 years, 30x30 front yard and a little bigger in the back. I can do both twice before a charge, but you just charge it after each use and you're fine. Compared to gas it's whisper quiet, but in reality it sounds like an electric buzz. My neighbours always mention how quiet it is. Very light, no fluids so I store it upright, and up on a shelf in the winter...battery inside of course. Never run out of gas or oil...never would go back, I even bought their trimmer that uses the same battery...it's a little louder.
Nov 15, 2006
461 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
How does Ryobi’s lawnmowers compare with Greenworks?
Feb 26, 2016
900 posts
198 upvotes
Vaughan
I've always used gas lawn mowers. what kind of maintenance is required on electrical ones? i'm assuming blade sharpening but anything else? considering it as i hate dealing with the mess of changing the oil and fueling it up..
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12004 posts
356 upvotes
I've had this mower for 3 years now (slight cosmetic differences only) and it's a dream. No gas, no oil, no pull start, weighs nothing, cuts great, larger size battery does my entire lawn front and back easily (it came with 2 large batteries and I got one of the smaller ones with the hedge trimmer if I ever need a backup). Sharpen the blade once a year (no issue to flip it and remove it without worrying about oil/gas) and bring the batteries inside through the winter. That's it for maintenance.

If your grass is thick, and long, and wet, it will not have enough power to cut full width. And I find the height settings too low - we only cut on the highest setting. But it's a terrific mower overall.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19006 posts
3661 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I've been researching this one. Good reviews, but numerous complaints about the Ryobi batteries going belly-up when they're left to sit for the Winter without being charged. You could probably mitigate by charging once per month in the Winter.

I ended up getting the Ego Power, but this unit is still a good deal, especially for smaller properties.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
17411 posts
4883 upvotes
Was looking at the Ego ones but can't justify the cost on my small lot. Just an aside. I see a lot of units with lights. Does anyone mow their lawn at night? Snowthrowers I can see using lights as I have many times had to clear the driveway after sundown in days gone by but I don't recall ever using the lights on my lawn tractors except maybe when it was getting close to sunset. Actually mowing the lawn in the dark? Never. Maybe for golf courses when you have to do that though most services that do lawns only do them during the day.
Aug 2, 2014
335 posts
258 upvotes
Vancity
Oakvillian23 wrote: What height are you going at it with? And are you doing it when wet ?

I find wait till it dries which is usually afternoon and or if long you start at a higher height and take two passes reducing to the desired on the second one
When the grass is bone dry it's doable. I keep my grass at least two inches long, and I try to only mow a 1/3 off at a time. I would literally have to do a slight jog or really brisk walk to get it all done on one charge, though.

Even slightly moist grass? Forget it. Even if I mow high it bogs down quick and kills the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
7657 posts
947 upvotes
TO
born2be_lazy wrote: Bought this 2 years ago @ $296, works great for my needs. Not a huge lot but I can mow the whole front/back and still have 1 cell left of battery. The folded storage option makes it very easy to keep in my garage without taking a lot of space.
I'd get this just for the space saver and the good battery life.
Anyone here bought the snowjoe one from past month that was in the$150 range?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3028 posts
1061 upvotes
Vancouver
yeti13 wrote: When the grass is bone dry it's doable. I keep my grass at least two inches long, and I try to only mow a 1/3 off at a time. I would literally have to do a slight jog or really brisk walk to get it all done on one charge, though.

Even slightly moist grass? Forget it. Even if I mow high it bogs down quick and kills the battery.
Yeah the wet grass is a killer, so I do map my mowing around the weather and the sprinkler times. If there's a stretch of rain when I planned to mow, it does get pretty long and make it harder to mow.

Another thing is also what you do with the trimmings. I find that I can cut through slightly thicker/taller grass if I bag it rather than mulching.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
7657 posts
947 upvotes
TO
What does the brushless feature in name of this mower mean? I
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
1989 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
not to hijack this thread... but it s not a good price unless u need one like right now.

i got mine for $298 back in 2017.... i know i know... no time machine but just want to tell u guys if this mower goes down to 249 ish or lower, that would be awesome.

this mower is pretty good overall, however, i would definitely recommend to grab the EGO 21" self-propel one, which is the premium in its class. (i have the ego mower at my parent's house as i take care of their lawn too) TRUST ME, the ego mower is a beast and no turning back once u tried...
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego-po ... 1001470384

ryobi also offers self propel model... do a favor to your back and get the self propel one if you have the budget...
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 9?rec=true

P.S: i was excited as i thought i had the excuse to get the ego mower for myself too as it stalled randomly... a quick fix in case it happens to anyone, now it is back on its business and going strong!!!

Jan 7, 2013
474 posts
216 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
My brother also has an EGO mower and it is a beast. But noticeably more expensive than the Ryobi.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)