Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 20-inch 40V Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Push Lawn Mower w/ 5.0 Ah Battery & Charger - $358 IPU only

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 10:59 am
Newbie
Nov 8, 2018
34 posts
68 upvotes
My experience is the opposite to most people on here. I had this mower for 5 years. I regretted purchasing it and just sold it. My lot is about 10,000 sqft(minus house and deck) and it would take me a day to finish my lawn because I would have to wait for the batteries to recharge. I had 4 batteries and 3 chargers because I had the trimmer and blower as well. I believe that these were 3Ah batteries though. If you have a larger yard, many slopes and obstacles or let your grass get more than a few inches, DON'T BUY THIS. You will get frustrated and regret your purchase. This mower does not have the power or running time to do an efficient job.

For those people saying that you just can't let it get too long or don't cut it when it's wet or make 2 passes, those aren't sacrifices that someone should have to make when dropping $350 on a lawn mower. I am so much happier with my new Toro 20340 and it takes me an hour or less to cut now even if the grass is wet or long.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure this mower would be great for smaller yards but you may still run into issues with it choking up and staling on long grass because it lacks the power of gas.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1873 posts
1351 upvotes
Montreal
KevinD50465 wrote: My experience is the opposite to most people on here. I had this mower for 5 years. I regretted purchasing it and just sold it. My lot is about 10,000 sqft(minus house and deck) and it would take me a day to finish my lawn because I would have to wait for the batteries to recharge. I had 4 batteries and 3 chargers because I had the trimmer and blower as well. I believe that these were 3Ah batteries though. If you have a larger yard, many slopes and obstacles or let your grass get more than a few inches, DON'T BUY THIS. You will get frustrated and regret your purchase. This mower does not have the power or running time to do an efficient job.

For those people saying that you just can't let it get too long or don't cut it when it's wet or make 2 passes, those aren't sacrifices that someone should have to make when dropping $350 on a lawn mower. I am so much happier with my new Toro 20340 and it takes me an hour or less to cut now even if the grass is wet or long.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure this mower would be great for smaller yards but you may still run into issues with it choking up and staling on long grass because it lacks the power of gas.
You should look at the DLM413Z... There's a guy on YouTube that cut 20 inch tall grass and entire lot without recharging.
Sr. Member
Jan 31, 2018
551 posts
1032 upvotes
Winnipeg
KevinD50465 wrote: My experience is the opposite to most people on here. I had this mower for 5 years.
I'm not discounting your experience, but yards approaching 10,000 sqft is WAY bigger than this mower was designed for. And were the brushless variants even available 5 years ago? Anything bought today should be both more powerful, and more efficient, with higher peak current output from the newer batteries.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2008
975 posts
581 upvotes
For winter battery storage, would it be best to leave the battery indoors and on the charger? I assume the charger is smart enough to maintain the battery this way?
Newbie
Nov 8, 2018
34 posts
68 upvotes
SquadG wrote: You should look at the DLM413Z... There's a guy on YouTube that cut 20 inch tall grass and entire lot without recharging.
That is a 17" mower. I would have to make many more passes. As I said, I am happy with my brand new Toro 20340 self propelled stow and go which actually takes less space than the Ryobi to store and is a 22" mower. It would take me 30% more passes with that Makita. It's also nice to not have to schedule a full day or 2 weeknights to cut the lawn.

PS. My wife says that she is also much happier now that she doesn't have to hear me bitch about the Ryobi every time I mow.
Newbie
Nov 8, 2018
34 posts
68 upvotes
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: I'm not discounting your experience, but yards approaching 10,000 sqft is WAY bigger than this mower was designed for. And were the brushless variants even available 5 years ago? Anything bought today should be both more powerful, and more efficient, with higher peak current output from the newer batteries.
No, this mower was recommended for yards up to 1/4 acre when I bought it in 2015. 10,000 sqft is the size of my lot not my yard. I would imagine my yard is about 50-60% of that.

And yes, it was a Ryobi 20" Brushless Mower. It was not sufficient from the day that I bought it so it wasn't bad batteries and I highly doubt that the power draw changed much otherwise my mower battery would have lasted longer per Wh thanthe new ones.
Last edited by KevinD50465 on May 23rd, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1873 posts
1351 upvotes
Montreal
KevinD50465 wrote: That is a 17" mower. I would have to make many more passes. As I said, I am happy with my brand new Toro 20340 self propelled stow and go which actually takes less space than the Ryobi to store and is a 22" mower. It would take me 30% more passes with that Makita. It's also nice to not have to schedule a full day or 2 weeknights to cut the lawn.

PS. My wife says that she is also much happier now that she doesn't have to hear me bitch about the Ryobi every time I mow.
They have larger lawn mower but are more expansive then the Toro which I guess you paid $400 for it. If you are happy with the Toro, good for you. I was just telling you that there's options out there which aren't necessarily bad now days and are well rated, even for big lawn.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2005
3128 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
wrecker wrote: How does Ryobi’s lawnmowers compare with Greenworks?
Ryobi is a Japanese manufacturer and they tend to generally make better quality components in their equipment
[AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | Biostar X370GTN ITX | Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz | WD BLUE 1TB & Sandisk 120GB m.2 | Silverstone SG13]
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8898661390.png
Feedbacks:
Ebay
HoFo
Heatware
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2005
3128 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
wonginator wrote: How is this compared to the Costco bundle if you plan to buy a trimmer as well? Greenworks is 80v and also brushless, and 1 inch wider.

https://www.costco.ca/greenworks-pro-21 ... 04517.html
Ryobi is generally regarded as better quality than Greenworks as I have heard green works breaks down faster and is less durable. If you want better quality then go with ryobi, if you want a better bundle deal then go with the Costco bundle.
[AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | Biostar X370GTN ITX | Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz | WD BLUE 1TB & Sandisk 120GB m.2 | Silverstone SG13]
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8898661390.png
Feedbacks:
Ebay
HoFo
Heatware
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1873 posts
1351 upvotes
Montreal
maritrunks wrote: Ryobi is a Japanese manufacturer and they tend to generally make better quality components in their equipment
TTI makes what you see at HD.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
1496 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wow! I did not know these exist!

I'm committed to Ridgid, but there's a few tools I want that's only available on the Ryobi line. Such as the Tire Air Compressor/Inflator.

Thanks for the insight, I have started my hunt!
.
.
redflagdeals... buy now, think later.
Jr. Member
Feb 27, 2004
152 posts
83 upvotes
maritrunks wrote: Ryobi is a Japanese manufacturer and they tend to generally make better quality components in their equipment
Ryobi is TTI Chinese manufacturer, same as ridgid and Milwaukee
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1873 posts
1351 upvotes
Montreal
twopointfivebar wrote: Wow! I did not know these exist!

I'm committed to Ridgid, but there's a few tools I want that's only available on the Ryobi line. Such as the Tire Air Compressor/Inflator.

Thanks for the insight, I have started my hunt!
The Ryobi adapter for Ridgid/AEG is only available on eBay and its made in Australia. There's a Chinese version but I can't find it right now.

By the way, Ridgid will release an inflator by the end of summer if you can wait. Priced at $80.
Images
  • r87044.png
Last edited by SquadG on May 23rd, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top