Hot Deals

[Home Depot] RYOBI 20-inch 40V Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Push Lawn Mower w/ 5.0 Ah Battery & Charger - $358 IPU only

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 10:59 am
Dec 11, 2004
206 posts
21 upvotes
SquadG wrote: The Ryobi adapter for Ridgid/AEG is only available on eBay and its made in Australia. There's a Chinese version but I can't find it right now.

By the way, Ridgid will release an inflator by the end of summer if you can wait. Priced at $80.
When will we see the Ridgid/AEG mowers? Any insight as to why North America does not have it?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1873 posts
1351 upvotes
Montreal
believeit wrote: When will we see the Ridgid/AEG mowers? Any insight as to why North America does not have it?
I am sorry. I don't have this information :(

This is why I got the Makita with adapters
Apr 1, 2015
354 posts
113 upvotes
Oakville
i got the same model last year... works well but having another 5amp battery is kind of needed to avoid hassle. ive been using gas for about 20+ years prior and honestly... the power isn't a whole lot different unless you're clear-cutting some ridiculously high grass. the fact that its light and can fold up was a huge boon for me--i hang it on the wall in my shed on a hook and it takes up little space. i would also recommend the 40v trimmer/edger... power is fine.

don't bother with the 18v ones imho, just pay a bit more
Last edited by MattSF on May 23rd, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 21, 2012
388 posts
500 upvotes
Ontario
SLee wrote: The type of electric motor being used, brushless typically being the preferred type:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless ... hed_motors
Brushless is always the preferred type to a DC motor. At least they *should* last longer. Motors with brushes have a physical metal wire brush that makes contact and drags across contactors. Brushless require an intelligent control signal that creates a dynamic magnetic field that pushes against permanent magnets in the rotating piece of the motor. The circuitry is more complex but will last longer then a physical brush that wears out. Brushless can have way higher efficiency and power over a dc motor if it's designed right. Higher voltage brushless motors means the system will have higher torque, and power. When comparing the batteries of different voltage systems you need to compare the VA (Volt x Amps). Power = V x A. So a "36V 6Ahr == 72V 3Ahr".
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1971 posts
604 upvotes
Mississauga
twopointfivebar wrote: Wow! I did not know these exist!

I'm committed to Ridgid, but there's a few tools I want that's only available on the Ryobi line. Such as the Tire Air Compressor/Inflator.

Thanks for the insight, I have started my hunt!
Me too ...have ridgid ... let me know which ridgid -> ryobi adapter you get ..as i need one as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13304 posts
4389 upvotes
Ottawa
woolo wrote: not to hijack this thread... but it s not a good price unless u need one like right now.

i got mine for $298 back in 2017.... i know i know... no time machine but just want to tell u guys if this mower goes down to 249 ish or lower, that would be awesome.

this mower is pretty good overall, however, i would definitely recommend to grab the EGO 21" self-propel one, which is the premium in its class. (i have the ego mower at my parent's house as i take care of their lawn too) TRUST ME, the ego mower is a beast and no turning back once u tried...
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego-po ... 1001470384

ryobi also offers self propel model... do a favor to your back and get the self propel one if you have the budget...
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 9?rec=true
So the Ryobi is ok with the shut off fix? The Ego looks nice but it's almost twice as much. The cheapest Ego model is $579 and there is no deal on those typically.

I have a tiny lawn so thinking that self propelled is not necessary. I have a good Honda gas mower, and I do use the self propelled feature, but these electric ones are so much lighter. Thinking either this Ryobi with 5ah battery or the $580 Ego would be good enough. I don't mind spending a little more if the quality is noticeably better.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1176 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
bpcrally wrote: For winter battery storage, would it be best to leave the battery indoors and on the charger? I assume the charger is smart enough to maintain the battery this way?
Don't do that. There are specific instructions when you purchase the mower/battery for when they won't be in use for a prolong time like a season. I don't remember now what it is but it definitely wasn't to do this.
Last edited by Electrah on May 23rd, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 18, 2008
476 posts
142 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: So the Ryobi is ok with the shut off fix? The Ego looks nice but it's almost twice as much. The cheapest Ego model is $579 and there is no deal on those typically.

I have a tiny lawn so thinking that self propelled is not necessary. I have a good Honda gas mower, and I do use the self propelled feature, but these electric ones are so much lighter. Thinking either this Ryobi with 5ah battery or the $580 Ego would be good enough. I don't mind spending a little more if the quality is noticeably better.

Any tests I've seen Ryobi is always in the bottom half and EGO is near the top, so there appears to be a definite difference in quality, but doesn't necessarily mean Ryobi is bad. Plus they are half the price and with a really small yard, might be all that's needed.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19006 posts
3661 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
DougO wrote: ... I don't recall ever using the lights on my lawn tractors except maybe when it was getting close to sunset. Actually mowing the lawn in the dark? Never. Maybe for golf courses when you have to do that though most services that do lawns only do them during the day.
I also don't know why they have lights in the mowers. Maybe their marketing analysis determined that this feature was one of the 'checkbox items' that reviewers and other websites point out, so they didn't want to be disqualified for lack of headlights.
TorontoEh wrote: What does the brushless feature in name of this mower mean?
Brushless motors are a more advanced (and expensive) kind of motor versus a motor that uses brushes. Brushless motors will normally last much longer without repairs compared to a brush motor.
wonginator wrote: How is this compared to the Costco bundle if you plan to buy a trimmer as well? Greenworks is 80v and also brushless, and 1 inch wider.

https://www.costco.ca/greenworks-pro-21 ... 04517.html
I don't have the experience to compare Greenworks vs Ryobi, however, I should mention:
- The Costco bundle is $699 on the website but $649 in-store in Ontario.
- The Costco bundle has only 2 Ah batteries, so you'll only have enough charge for smaller properties.
bpcrally wrote: For winter battery storage, would it be best to leave the battery indoors and on the charger? I assume the charger is smart enough to maintain the battery this way?
Lithium Ion batteries actually prefer to be stored at a lower charge. (The Ego batteries have a smart discharge system where they automatically discharge to 30% if you let them sit for a while.)

Definitely store Li-ion batteries at room temperature. I personally would charge them up once a month to ensure the basic circuitry still has power. I have the Ego though and they claim their system is really advanced, and it doesn't matter whether you keep them on the charger or leave them lying around.
Apr 21, 2012
388 posts
500 upvotes
Ontario
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Lithium Ion batteries actually prefer to be stored at a lower charge. (The Ego batteries have a smart discharge system where they automatically discharge to 30% if you let them sit for a while.)
This is correct. You want to leave Lithium Ion batteries sitting between 60 and 80 percent charge. Don't leave them at 100% because they slowly degrade at full charge.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8321 posts
621 upvotes
Wondering if I should jump back into the cordless mowers... I really hate the noise of gas powered ones. Maintaining them isn't an issue. I know with brushless motors and better battery cells they are MUCH MUCH better than previous yrs one... I had one of that homelife ones about 10yrs ago... thing was a pile of garbage.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13304 posts
4389 upvotes
Ottawa
mobbie wrote: This is correct. You want to leave Lithium Ion batteries sitting between 60 and 80 percent charge. Don't leave them at 100% because they slowly degrade at full charge.
actually 40% (or about 3.7 Volts) is often stated as the ideal charge for long term storage. A lot of manufacturers will ship their batteries at 50% or so.

I usually aim for 50-70 percent if I know I won't be using the battery for a while. With some electronics that have built in battery, they drain after a month or two, and you have to make sure they don't get too low. So I keep reminders to check the battery every 1-2 months. Really annoying with so many electronics that have nonreplaceable batteries.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13304 posts
4389 upvotes
Ottawa
mopex wrote: Any tests I've seen Ryobi is always in the bottom half and EGO is near the top, so there appears to be a definite difference in quality, but doesn't necessarily mean Ryobi is bad. Plus they are half the price and with a really small yard, might be all that's needed.
I might go for the Ego just because it's so widely recommended by almost any review site or user review. You pay full price but it seems like there are no downsides. I also like that they are committed to the 56V platform. I just wish there was a deal on them.
Mar 2, 2017
907 posts
657 upvotes
I was this super close to getting the ego last week as the gas ones frustrated me but the self propelled one was close to 800. Opened up the mower and cleaned the carburetor which was a pain and now it’s working again:

If I had to pick all over I would go with battery powered ANYDAY over the gas ones and this one looks like a good buy. Though I would still probably get the ego given I’ve used it and it’s a beast