• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2021 2:43 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2018
8 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton

[Home Depot] Ryobi 5 Piece Starter Set $149

This kit is available to be purchased online. Not sure if this is a sale price, but I am all about Ryobi and have never seen this offering before that is in stock.

RYOBI introduces the 18V ONE+ Cordless 5-Tool Combo Kit with
(2) 1.5 Ah Compact Lithium-Ion Batteries and Charger
(1) Bag
(1) The ONE+ Drill/Driver features a 1/2 -inch heavy duty single sleeve keyless chuck with 24-position clutch to match your drilling and driving needs (2 speed brushless)
(1) The ONE+ Hand Vacuum has a powerful motor and a dual-filter system that captures material for removal and provides exceptional suction power.
(1) The ONE+ 5 1/2" Circular Saw features front pommel handle for 2-handed operation and a left side blade for better cutline visibility (Great for ripping plywood)
(1) The ONE+ Random Orbit Sander delivers 10,000 orbits per minute (OPM) for a smooth, swirl-free finish on your work surface.
(1) The ONE+ Work Light features an ergonomic design that also has the capability of mounting on a 2x4. This 18V LED Light also has a rotating head for adjustable light beam direction.
Last edited by Snowdawg2002 on Mar 5th, 2021 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
92 replies
Dec 10, 2012
88 posts
135 upvotes
TERREBONNE
Pretty good deal for a basic package Thumbs Up Sign
Jul 13, 2016
162 posts
276 upvotes
$150 for two 2AH batteries and a Drill, Hand Vac, Sander and Circular Saw is a great deal. The circular saw probably doesn't have a lot of kick, even with a larger battery.
Feb 1, 2009
326 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
soupmaster666 wrote: $150 for two 2AH batteries and a Drill, Hand Vac, Sander and Circular Saw is a great deal. The circular saw probably doesn't have a lot of kick, even with a larger battery.
Battery size doesn’t affect “kick” or power.

Good deal for a starter kit, not brushless but who cares at this price. I went with the drill combo kit sale on now as well and will have to buy the circular separate.

Edit: Seems like battery size does affect power. You can save 3 seconds when drilling with a 2.5” bit into a pair of 2x4s by doubling the battery size....totally worth it.
Last edited by Asriel on Mar 5th, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 9, 2003
122 posts
30 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: $150 for two 2AH batteries and a Drill, Hand Vac, Sander and Circular Saw is a great deal. The circular saw probably doesn't have a lot of kick, even with a larger battery.
2x 1.5 Ah batteries according to the website
Mar 15, 2016
124 posts
179 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If you know you won’t be expanding your horizons go for it! But I’ve learnt the hard way to pay for higher end tools up front
May 28, 2009
29 posts
14 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
The saw was perfect when we built our fence and gates, was very happy to have it. It did 2x4s okay but it wouldn't be happy with anything bigger than that
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1843 posts
1547 upvotes
Ottawa
Decent price, but everything other than the drill and circ saw are just useless filler items.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1452 posts
663 upvotes
Ottawa
Agree about the vacuum and light, but no love for the sander? And strange to see a set with only a drill and no impact driver. Can't decide whether that's good or bad.
Apr 24, 2010
751 posts
414 upvotes
Canada
Asriel wrote: Battery size doesn’t affect “kick” or power.

Good deal for a starter kit, not brushless but who cares at this price. I went with the drill combo kit sale on now as well and will have to buy the circular separate.

The video was comparing 4AH and 6AH batteries. The difference between 1.5AH and 4AH or 6 AH should be more significant.
Jun 15, 2019
331 posts
291 upvotes
Can I renovate my basement with this? Newbie first time - completely using YouTube to make my basement from a new build scratch. Any tips would be appreciated
Nov 23, 2004
789 posts
1395 upvotes
Ontario
Strandednomad wrote: Can I renovate my basement with this? Newbie first time - completely using YouTube to make my basement from a new build scratch. Any tips would be appreciated
You get a lot for the money with this kit as far as batteries and tools go which make it a decent well rounded kit for general homeowner DIY, but probably not a lot of it will be useful for reno work beyond the drill and saw IMO (assuming you're doing framing and drywalling as the reno?). You'll want a driver for reno work, which this kit doesn't include, but folks always part out ryobi kits on kijiji/marketplace so you can probably get a standalone driver fairly cheap there. Or if the drill has enough torque you can throw a driver bit in the drill and make do assuming you aren't driving into anything too tough where the lack of impact from a driver would be an issue.
Jun 10, 2003
705 posts
117 upvotes
Halifax
Strandednomad wrote: Can I renovate my basement with this? Newbie first time - completely using YouTube to make my basement from a new build scratch. Any tips would be appreciated
Everything there should be more than enough as long as you dont need to drill into concrete. I would look out for a compressor kit as well, having a nail gun is going to come in real handy and if you are framing any walls you can rent a framing nailer.
Aug 30, 2015
774 posts
524 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I am waiting for a kit with reciprocating saw and hammer drill. Do they go on sale at all?
May 5, 2016
177 posts
83 upvotes
this is definitely great value for a starter kit! good luck to anybody that can score this.
Nov 22, 2007
73 posts
40 upvotes
Langley
This is a nice set, they had it around the end of December 2020 for the same price. I told my buddy to get it, since he was looking into buying some basic power tools for around the home. Sander and circular saw is a bit useless to him at the moment, but he likes the other things.
Feb 8, 2006
484 posts
152 upvotes
Asriel wrote: Battery size doesn’t affect “kick” or power.

batteries make a massive difference. smaller batteries just cant provide the power needed for certain tasks but once you step up to 4ah or 6ah batteries, the tool is magically able to complete the job.
Dec 14, 2004
169 posts
27 upvotes
If I didn’t already have a Ryobi ONE+ drill/driver combo and the sander, I’d be all over this one. What I need for the spring is a ONE+ circular saw, router and maybe a belt sander. Been waiting for a deal on that stuff for a while.

BTW, anyone know when lumber and plywood prices might come back down to earth? :-)

- dvdrat
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1738 posts
573 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I find this to be a slightly odd collection of tools.

To me, a more useful 5 tool starter pack would be:
Drill
Impact Driver
Reciprocating Saw
Circular Saw
Work Light

You do get a lot for the money though.