[Home Depot] Ryobi 5 piece tool combo

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 10:06 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
86 posts
82 upvotes

[Home Depot] Ryobi 5 piece tool combo

5 piece tool combo is showing up for $119 for Richmond bc location. Regular $199.
146 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
8549 posts
3154 upvotes
$158 and 1 or 2 instock for winnipeg. At $119 would be a great deal.
ING Direct since the beginning!
BuyBuyBuy O Why
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
86 posts
82 upvotes
Got the confirmation email for instore pickup. $135.97 final cost. Richmond bc store still showing 11 in stock
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1838 posts
760 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
This may seem like a great deal, but the items included in this kit have limited use.
1): There is no impact driver. If you've ever tried driving a screw with a drill, then tried it with an impact driver, you would never want to use the drill again.
2): Flashlights are bulky filler. You are better off to go to Costco (or Dollerama), and buy a camping "miner style" LED headlamp. That way you have two hands free, and the light is pointed where you are looking, not where you happened to set the flashlight down.
3): You might be able to cut a couple small branches off a tree, if you had an appropriate blade, with that reciprocating saw before the battery runs dry. And realistically, that's the only thing I can think an average person would use a reciprocating saw for. Otherwise, it's also filler. If you are planning any demolition work, a cordless saw is not the way to go.
4): Same goes for the circular saw. Buy, borrow or rent a corded saw.
5): I'm sure the drill will work fine for mild drilling applications, except for what I mentioned in #1.
6): The radio, since it has Bluetooth, I'm neutral on. My 10 year old Milwaukee radio has no Bluetooth and requires AUX IN, so I have to leave my phone plugged in to play stored music. Somewhat problematic if I have to sprint over to the radio to answer a call.
It's still filler, though.
Jul 16, 2012
227 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If you can get it for a good price and you are invested in the ryobi ecosystem, nice deal. Keep the batteries and the tools you need, sell the rest and you come out in a good spot. South Etobicoke in the GTA shows it at 158. Nice find OP
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2803 posts
1571 upvotes
Markham
Thanks OP! Been waiting on a deal for a couple of Ryobi batteries so this is pretty good. I can take the batteries and Kijiji the rest.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2007
86 posts
82 upvotes
That's what I am doing keeping the batteries and radio and selling the rest on kijii.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2803 posts
1571 upvotes
Markham
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 6:26 pm
This may seem like a great deal, but the items included in this kit have limited use.
1): There is no impact driver. If you've ever tried driving a screw with a drill, then tried it with an impact driver, you would never want to use the drill again.
2): Flashlights are bulky filler. You are better off to go to Costco (or Dollerama), and buy a camping "miner style" LED headlamp. That way you have two hands free, and the light is pointed where you are looking, not where you happened to set the flashlight down.
3): You might be able to cut a couple small branches off a tree, if you had an appropriate blade, with that reciprocating saw before the battery runs dry. And realistically, that's the only thing I can think an average person would use a reciprocating saw for. Otherwise, it's also filler. If you are planning any demolition work, a cordless saw is not the way to go.
4): Same goes for the circular saw. Buy, borrow or rent a corded saw.
5): I'm sure the drill will work fine for mild drilling applications, except for what I mentioned in #1.
6): The radio, since it has Bluetooth, I'm neutral on. My 10 year old Milwaukee radio has no Bluetooth and requires AUX IN, so I have to leave my phone plugged in to play stored music. Somewhat problematic if I have to sprint over to the radio to answer a call.
It's still filler, though.
I'll take a Milwaukee Fuel M18 High Demand 9.0 over any wired tool any day, every day.

But you're right, these brush motor tools with relatively weak batteries won't run particularly well or long.
Jan 1, 2008
221 posts
31 upvotes
I have a few old Ryobi tools that were given to me but the NiCad batteries are near dead. I was looking to upgrade to lithium batteries + new charger but for about same price I saw this kit too @ 119$ online (Montreal)

Tools feels cheap but for occasional light use around the house it will be perfect.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
2963 posts
784 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Thanks OP!

Shows a $119.00 price at Montreal area stores. Not certain what will be included with the ISPU as the description refers to "an online only Special Buy available while supplies last."? Will find out tomorrow if they accept the order.

Ordered through GCR for a big 2.5% cash back. Money Bag
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1133 posts
323 upvotes
Hamilton
I used the recip saw to cut a triple 2x10 beam.... I did use the high capacity battery... but with a good blade it works quite well.
Also cut 6x6 post caps for my fence. (About 35 of them)
Mar 21, 2009
151 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
I have had my Ryobi told for over 13 years. Granted, sample size of one, but they all still work. Every single one of them. The ni-cads are long dead, but with the lithiums they run well and for a long time. I am the family handy man. I would guess my Ryobi told get used a couple times a week. Three drills and impacts get the most use. The longevity of the tools convinced me to buy the mower and trimmer. My tools have hundreds of hours on them, and they work as good as the day I bought them. The only thing that ever broke was the variable speed trigger on a drill, but the drill still works. So, sure if you count 13 minutes of experience with a brand enough to write them off, fine. I have 13 years with my tools and they still work great.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
I bet someone would sure appreciate a posting of a receipt as a $119 purchase, so a price match could be done.