Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Ryobi 5 piece tool combo

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 10:06 am
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1207 posts
1189 upvotes
popup wrote: maybe a dumb question, but what does "Bluetooth stereo" do in this combo? Listen to music while using other tools?
It just means you can connect your phone wirelessly to the speaker. You'll still need to use one of the batteries to power the radio but you don't have to tether your phone to it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1207 posts
287 upvotes
Winnipeg
If I didn't have 2x handful of drills and a JBL BT speaker I would be all over this deal!
Le_arned to Churn now I use it as my hanrness.
Buy low sell high, always make a way to get what you want!💪😁👌
Nov 23, 2011
331 posts
71 upvotes
North York
Thanks op.
I have gotten much use from my Ryobi tools over the years.
As a do it yourself hacker around the house I grabbed this deal and picked up at store close to me.
Now to unload some of my older tools on Kijiji for cheap.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3532 posts
1683 upvotes
Vancouver
silvergate wrote: Thanks guys. The reason why i was asking is that the employee at hd richmond can't find the stocks. The website shows there are 4 remaining. Also didn ispu and item was cancelled with no reason. Another Employee said it was already out of stock. I argued that there were 4 remaining and said that those might be reserved for other customers. The first guy i asked was shocked to see the price. Anyway a good deal if you can find it.
Yep, one of those 4 is for me, I have yet to pick it up :)
Last edited by charlesd79 on Aug 7th, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3532 posts
1683 upvotes
Vancouver
aquariaguy wrote: Anyone else have trouble ordering online? I used literally 7 different credits cards from my family and relative and says ERROR all the time. So frustrating!
Try Paypal.
Mar 28, 2016
141 posts
416 upvotes
lleb13 wrote: It just means you can connect your phone wirelessly to the speaker. You'll still need to use one of the batteries to power the radio but you don't have to tether your phone to it.
Apparently the radio can also be powered from an outlet, so don't have to use one of the batteries if just using it in your shop. Also has a USB out so you can charge your phone from it as well. Bonuses in my book :)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1793 posts
674 upvotes
GTA
Thx OP.
Sick deal.. picked up a set.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1659 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote: Try Paypal.
Does it affect returns?
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3532 posts
1683 upvotes
Vancouver
aquariaguy wrote: Does it affect returns?
Don't know, I never returned something bought through Paypal from HD. It shouldn't, IMHO. And when you use PayPal just put it on one of your CCs (I know most people do, but there are some who use their debit accounts).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9678 posts
2334 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I modified the radio and removed the linear transformer, shaved almost 1kg off it and it is balanced now instead of tilting to one side, perhaps they choose that instead of a switch mode power supply to reduce FM interference? Or just to add weight...
It's wayyy over engineered, the amount of plastic is just mind blowing, the transformer had it own thick plastic cage?! And the whole assembly slide into another it
Sep 1, 2008
322 posts
306 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: I modified the radio and removed the linear transformer, shaved almost 1kg off it and it is balanced now instead of tilting to one side, perhaps they choose that instead of a switch mode power supply to reduce FM interference? Or just to add weight...
It's wayyy over engineered, the amount of plastic is just mind blowing, the transformer had it own thick plastic cage?! And the whole assembly slide into another it
Interesting. Could you post the instructions on how to do that? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9678 posts
2334 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It's very easy to open, just undo all the screws on the back, no clips, then the front and rear slides open.

The transformer is held by 4 screws, simply disconnect the connector with the 2 black wire to the PCB (lower connector)

The power connector is held by 2 screws, once the assembly is out, remove another 2 screws to reveal the connector, reassemble the connector assembly if you do not want to be left with a hole in the battery compartment.

No wires to cut and the process can be reverted back, please do take note of the screws lenght, 4 of them are shorter and if I'm not mistaken, it's the upper 2 in the corner and the lower middle 2
The transformer is rated 17VAC 1.8A, I suppose one could replace it with a ~18V 2A+ switching power supply easily with world voltage 120-240V :) if they want to for better efficiency and weight, might impact FM reception though unless you use an external brick.

There's plenty space inside, one could hack in wireless charging probably, replace the speakers or perhaps even incorporate a charger inside it if you add a separate power plug
Jun 24, 2012
197 posts
115 upvotes
TORONTO
Daijoubu wrote: I modified the radio and removed the linear transformer, shaved almost 1kg off it and it is balanced now instead of tilting to one side, perhaps they choose that instead of a switch mode power supply to reduce FM interference? Or just to add weight...
For us layman, what is the the purpose of a linear transformer and what's the impact of removing it?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9678 posts
2334 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You loose the ability to plug it in and it can only run on battery
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3649 posts
1470 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Just a heads-up if you are still looking for this... if you go to the webpage, it no longer shows a price/availability for this item. I get the message: "Limited Stock. Call store for availability". This is the same for all store locations if I try to change stores (it was showing $119 this morning). Maybe they decided that the price should be different after all? Not sure what it would scan in store now? Maybe someone will be able to report back...
I can't afford to save that much!