[Home Depot] Samsung Washer/Dryer Combo (PM costco) $1695 all in

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:47 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2344 posts
789 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
sixteen12 wrote: The dryer has a light, not the washer... at least no washer I've experienced.

My LG washer even has a magnetic stop to keep the door open ~2 inches. Never have a mold issue.
I found that some of the newer washers even have a small builtin low speed fan that vents out the back to keep the air moving inside while the washer is just sitting. One model I looked at said the fan takes 1 watt constantly with no way to turn it off.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8188 posts
2821 upvotes
Toronto
Best to try to PM HD to Lowes with their 15-25% events. I got a new washer/dryer set by LG from HD that way. Fell below $2k for their newest model.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1263 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I currently have a Samsung top load that is being recalled. Not sure if this is part of the recall...

Do anyone know if they'd sell this separately? I might just return my current one and go for this with the voucher Samsung is providing.
Feb 6, 2014
88 posts
35 upvotes
The Samsung top load is the worse appliance I have ever owned. It is not the same number as the one at Costco, so maybe they have improved it. But it was recalled, and they gave us a choice, a slight modification or 350$ to buy another samsung washer. I will never buy another Samsung appliance after this experience.

The top loader flashes error every other wash. Have to reset it all the time. The washer is 4 year old.

And, on another note, top washers without the middle "stirrer" do not wash well, but that's beside the point.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2002
694 posts
172 upvotes
Kelowna
hulk007 wrote: I noticed Costco and HD serial numbers are not the same? How did you manage to get a price match?
Costco tacks on a /A4 and /AC to the end of the model numbers but the guy at HD didn't care... it doesn't seem to designate a different model. I suspect it might have to do with Costco selling them as a pair.
Jun 12, 2016
623 posts
265 upvotes
Mississauga
I also own a Samsung top load washer similar to this one. It is very loud and it does tend to stop due to load being unbalanced (UL code) from time to time. This thing is so loud that it makes you wonder when this thing will go. If you or someone who does the laundry is on the shorter side (5'4 or shorter), they might have a hard time getting to the bottom of the drum when emptying the washer without a stool.

On the other hand, it has a large capacity and you can always add garment anytime since the door is on top. Not sure if I would purchase another Samsung when this one stops working.
Aug 22, 2005
922 posts
155 upvotes
Brampton
sixteen12 wrote: The dryer has a light, not the washer... at least no washer I've experienced.

My LG washer even has a magnetic stop to keep the door open ~2 inches. Never have a mold issue.
My Maytag has a light in the washer also... :-(
Oct 9, 2013
99 posts
19 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
Lonelyplant wrote: The Samsung top load is the worse appliance I have ever owned. It is not the same number as the one at Costco, so maybe they have improved it. But it was recalled, and they gave us a choice, a slight modification or 350$ to buy another samsung washer. I will never buy another Samsung appliance after this experience.

The top loader flashes error every other wash. Have to reset it all the time. The washer is 4 year old.

And, on another note, top washers without the middle "stirrer" do not wash well, but that's beside the point.
I own one of the top loaders that was also part of the recall. Read similar concerns. Outside of being upset that our options were crappier than the U.S. ones, I've found great results compared to my past front loader, especially on cold water, vibration/noise has been better, and I've received the unbalanced error maybe 2 or 3 times in the life of the washer and always with blankets and sheets.

So while the recall and response was less than optimal, I'll give the washer credit for performing.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1092 posts
189 upvotes
Waterloo
Samsung and appliance in the same sentence just don't belong.
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
djrobinn wrote: Doesn't the light that stays on bug you then?
Never had a washer that has a light. However, where is the washer that a light would be annoying?!

Manufacturers suggest that front load washers be left open when not in use, so if there is a light that turns on when you have the door open, that is going to end up wasting electricity if you follow the instructions! Usually the light is triggered by a mechanical switch that interacts with the door, so there is a sweet spot where the door is open but the light doesn't turn on. I leave my dryer's door slightly ajar at a point where the light remains off. Just a bit of air circulation is all you need to prevent mold/smells building up in the washer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5924 posts
1644 upvotes
Calgary
i love my Samsung front loaders, we just leave the door open when not in use, no mold.
Oct 22, 2007
194 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had a lg front loading washer. No moldy smell but keeps door open. Do you guys also use those affresh cleaners once a month to tub clean the washer?
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
184 upvotes
raskal wrote: side load generally means the door is closed most of the time and then it begins to stink. top loaders you can leave the door open more easily
Bought the Kenmore Elite He3T front loader washer in 2004 and I always leave the door open about one inch and I've never had a problem with smell or anything else. Did you know that if you set spin cycle at the highest possible speed the drum will spin at 72mph! In some locations you could get a ticket for going that fast ;)
Last edited by Abeesee on Sep 27th, 2017 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can save even more by NOT spending ;)
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
184 upvotes
mc_bee wrote: I've had a lg front loading washer. No moldy smell but keeps door open. Do you guys also use those affresh cleaners once a month to tub clean the washer?
Nope, but my washer has a SANITARY cycle which brings the water to 160F IIRC. Twice a year I run the washer at the Sanitary cycle with nothing but a little bit of bleach.
You can save even more by NOT spending ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1877 posts
904 upvotes
mb
Thatdealguy wrote: I bought a front load washer and it's a pain to clean. Molds are forming and it's starting to smell inside. I will only buy top loaders from now on
You're supposed to leave the washer door open on a front load.