44 posts
103 upvotes

[Home Depot] Scotts Lawn Soil 28.3L $3.14/bag at Home Depot after Price Match

Time for lawn overseed / repair.

Lowes: https://www.lowes.ca/product/soil/scott ... oil-159200
$3.49 regular $6.99

Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/scotts ... 1000404109
$6.48

HD price match over chat: $3.49 * 0.9 = $3.14 per bag (+tax of course)
45 replies
Oct 16, 2005
618 posts
44 upvotes
Price is reasonable but man, the bags I bought this year had a 50/50 blend of dirt and wood chips. Will not buy again.
May 24, 2013
40 posts
28 upvotes
Ancaster
echoing what another user said about the bag being full of twigs and wood chips. the quality of this product has deteriorated over the last few years. i picked up a couple bags this year hoping it would be better. nope worse than ever. i don’t recommend it even at this price
Jul 19, 2016
334 posts
143 upvotes
Ontario
Seems like there are more complaints than positives for this product.
Too many wood chips, and crab grass and weeds growing instead.
Reminds me of the scotts 911 product I used once, and will never recommend that ever again!
Guess will hope to find no name top soil on sale soon.
Aug 25, 2011
156 posts
133 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Even the big yellow bag now has a lot of small wood chips! Any recommendation?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4546 posts
2632 upvotes
I've had better luck with Home Depot's house brand than Scotts. Don't pay more for literally garbage.
Jan 24, 2011
925 posts
266 upvotes
Da Mango wrote: Price is reasonable but man, the bags I bought this year had a 50/50 blend of dirt and wood chips. Will not buy again.
+1

Too many wood chips ....
Nov 1, 2007
65 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Garbage! Full of wood chips and weeds growing
Apr 29, 2020
46 posts
35 upvotes
This year I have been using the Golfgreen Enriched Lawn Soil from CT... the price isnt as good as this but if you get a CT Money rewards offer (i.e. 25x or 50x) it becomes pretty attractive. All told really happy, I think in the 8 bags I have used I got 2 chips
Feb 22, 2013
906 posts
739 upvotes
There are a lot of wood chips but weeds? We need Project Farm on this.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3228 posts
4702 upvotes
Langley, BC
time to stock up! the kids have been begging for me to get them more splinters in their feet.
Jul 3, 2019
227 posts
161 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I feel like all soil bags are a gamble. Even HD Vigoro has good batches and bad batches filled with wood chips.
It's honestly hard to find one brand that has consistent black topsoil year round.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1621 posts
1037 upvotes
I don't get why this is posted as HD deal, rather than a Lowe's deal? HD price matches, yes, but with that logic, all hardware and garden deals from Lowe's, HH, CT would then be HD deals.
Jun 27, 2018
191 posts
133 upvotes
Add another one to the complainer group. Touted as a high end product, but not. I stopped buying this and used regular garden soil.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3881 posts
3028 upvotes
Ottawa
Well ... I got about 20-30 bags of Scotts Lawn Soil a couple of years ago at the end of the season for a good price from Lowes. Finally put them all on my front and rear yards this spring with grass seeds. I got so much of the Spotted Spurge weeds in both yards that were never there (first time seeing them ever) and I spent so much time plucking them from my lawn. Even after a 2 weeks periods of no pulling, my front lawn was being overrun with these weeds. I swear that I would never get another bag of these awful Scotts Lawn Weeds again even if they are free! Smiling Face With Horns
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2751 posts
234 upvotes
gumby wrote: Well ... I got about 20-30 bags of Scotts Lawn Soil a couple of years ago at the end of the season for a good price from Lowes. Finally put them all on my front and rear yards this spring with grass seeds. I got so much of the Spotted Spurge weeds in both yards that were never there (first time seeing them ever) and I spent so much time plucking them from my lawn. Even after a 2 weeks periods of no pulling, my front lawn was being overrun with these weeds. I swear that I would never get another bag of these awful Scotts Lawn Weeds again even if they are free! Smiling Face With Horns
I had to look up Spotted Spurge, and that is what I got lots of on my lawn too this summer. I've added Vigoro Garden and Black Earth this year, and some soils from Miller Compost. Not sure if the Spotted Surge was in one of those mixes, or got introduced to the new soil, but they are annoying.