• Oct 25th, 2020 10:33 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5075 posts
3265 upvotes

[Home Depot] Scotts Turf Builder Fall Lawn Food $12.88 for 400m2

Good sale for good stuff.

I usually get in two applications of this, and when the snow melts next year, I have the greenest lawn on the street with less damage than others.

Perfect time for this!
47 replies
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1351 posts
771 upvotes
Ajax
Price is a bit better at Costco. 17.2kg for $39.99

Works out to $2.33 per kg at Costco whereas home depot is $2.50 per kg. Back at the beginning of August the 17.2kg bag was on sale at costco for $29.99 which would have worked out to $1.74 per kg...I know no time machine. Not bad if you don't need a 17.2kg bag. Thx OP
Images
  • Screenshot_20200910-142342_Chrome.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1325 posts
1292 upvotes
What’s the best way to store fertilizer? I find if you don’t do it right that it will absorb moisture from the air and clump up.
Apr 10, 2019
510 posts
1043 upvotes
Ottawa
sparkaction wrote: What’s the best way to store fertilizer? I find if you don’t do it right that it will absorb moisture from the air and clump up.
In a garbage can with lid in basement.
Jan 11, 2019
75 posts
19 upvotes
Could this be used as a starter fertilizer when you overseed in fall?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
sparkaction wrote: What’s the best way to store fertilizer? I find if you don’t do it right that it will absorb moisture from the air and clump up.
Crap. I already cashed on this deal. Are you saying I should remove it from the shed? I plan to use it in October.
- casual gastronomist -
Sep 1, 2008
551 posts
1260 upvotes
I thought fall fertilizer is mostly about giving nutrients to the roots, which means high Phophorus contents. But this bag is 32-0-10 which is Nitrogen-Phophorus-Potassium (N-P-K). Lawn experts please feel free to chime in.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2426 posts
3197 upvotes
West GTA
xqcftwx wrote: Could this be used as a starter fertilizer when you overseed in fall?
Nope, you need a high 'middle number' for starter, phosphorus, because it's what boosts root development and early establishment. This one's got none.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1325 posts
1292 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Crap. I already cashed on this deal. Are you saying I should remove it from the shed? I plan to use it in October.
You will be ok as the bag is airtight. After you open the bag up the rest into an airtight container.
Dec 25, 2004
885 posts
185 upvotes
Badder wrote: I thought fall fertilizer is mostly about giving nutrients to the roots, which means high Phophorus contents. But this bag is 32-0-10 which is Nitrogen-Phophorus-Potassium (N-P-K). Lawn experts please feel free to chime in.
This is definitely the nitrogen time of year. You can hit the lawn as much as every 2 weeks as long as we’re maintaining temp above 15 degrees.
Dec 16, 2017
138 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote: This is definitely the nitrogen time of year. You can hit the lawn as much as every 2 weeks as long as we’re maintaining temp above 15 degrees.
You don't want to go overboard with nitrogen. Adding it in excess will burn your lawn and I experienced it first hand.. Everyone be careful hope much fertilizer you put. This is not the type of slow release fertilizer that you can experiment with. Look at up the Lawn Care Nut YouTube channel for demonstration on how to apply fert.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2426 posts
3197 upvotes
West GTA
Badder wrote: I thought fall fertilizer is mostly about giving nutrients to the roots, which means high Phophorus contents. But this bag is 32-0-10 which is Nitrogen-Phophorus-Potassium (N-P-K). Lawn experts please feel free to chime in.
Grass (and most plants) use mostly nitrogen for green growth. Phosphorus is more for flowering and root establishment. Potassium is for hardening off plants - winter and disease resistance. Plants need all three for all kinds of things, this is mostly a broad strokes simplification.

Mature grass uses mostly nitrogen to grow green shoots, and not much phosphorus or potassium. Nitrogen also tends to leach fairly quickly, while the other two can stay in soil for years. Since you're generally adding fertilizer to thicken your lawn and improve its appearance, Nitrogen is where it's at. Phosphorus application IS used by young weeds to establish and grow, so high-P fertilizers can come with some unwanted guests. P is also a nutrient that's significantly responsible for eutrophication of water bodies, so is very hard on the environment - using as little as possible is responsible.

Young grass uses a lot of P to get established and they have tiny root systems, meaning having nutrients further into the soil isn't as helpful as having them spread immediately next to the grass. Using a starter with lots of P boosts young grass. I typically use a thin layer of bagged lawn soil when overseeding thin areas, which usually has some starter mixed in so I'm light with a separate starter if I use any at all.
Oct 9, 2017
137 posts
115 upvotes
Damnit, just bought this a couple days ago, at normal price.
Jan 13, 2017
773 posts
356 upvotes
Kinda off topic, but when growing grass should I add sheep manure and top soil with the grass seeds in? And then add the lawn fall fertilizer afterwards? Newbie in trying to grow grass in my backyard, its all weeds right now and whatever remaining grass is all brown. tks.
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
skjohnson wrote: Damnit, just bought this a couple days ago, at normal price.
Take receipt in and they will refund difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2571 posts
3458 upvotes
Toronto
Dragonrana2 wrote: Kinda off topic, but when growing grass should I add sheep manure and top soil with the grass seeds in? And then add the lawn fall fertilizer afterwards? Newbie in trying to grow grass in my backyard, its all weeds right now and whatever remaining grass is all brown. tks.
top soil covering the grass seed is good enough for it to germinate. i seeded a week ago with some top soil, and grass already coming up without additional watering, cause its been perfect weather last few days (for starting grass), cloudy warmish and light rain constantly.

I had bad experience with manure, while they are suppose to be composted and the heat is suppose to have killed any weed seeds, i ended up with a lot of weeds from the manure. I know they are from the manure cause it was a type of weed not found in my neighbour's lawn and only on my lawn. for grass i would just stick with chemical fertilizers.
Dec 13, 2008
470 posts
215 upvotes
Just experimented with overseeding in the backyard with no success. Put soil down, seed, covered seed with soil with light raking, and moss to top it all off. No growth - its been about a week now (6 days).

I'm thinking it might've been the wet soil i've used or the seed is useless. Tempuratures have been hovering around 14-18 C, so these are ideal temps. No rain but gets a bit of water every day.

Any suggestions?
sonyminidiscman wrote: top soil covering the grass seed is good enough for it to germinate. i seeded a week ago with some top soil, and grass already coming up without additional watering, cause its been perfect weather last few days (for starting grass), cloudy warmish and light rain constantly.

I had bad experience with manure, while they are suppose to be composted and the heat is suppose to have killed any weed seeds, i ended up with a lot of weeds from the manure. I know they are from the manure cause it was a type of weed not found in my neighbour's lawn and only on my lawn. for grass i would just stick with chemical fertilizers.
I'm just here for the deals....
Jan 13, 2017
773 posts
356 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: top soil covering the grass seed is good enough for it to germinate. i seeded a week ago with some top soil, and grass already coming up without additional watering, cause its been perfect weather last few days (for starting grass), cloudy warmish and light rain constantly.

Thanks for answering my questions. Also, when do you add the fertilizer? When you just laid down the seeds or a few weeks after you see the grass beginning to grow? I don't want to burn the new young grass if I don't need to fertilize it.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3513 posts
953 upvotes
What's a good spreader that isn't too expensive? The Scott's mini one sucks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5075 posts
3265 upvotes
goob3r wrote: What's a good spreader that isn't too expensive? The Scott's mini one sucks.
Scott's mini one is okay-ish, have to fiddle with the settings and clean it out once in a while.