Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Scott's turf builder fertilizer, $9.97

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 6:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2510 posts
3353 upvotes
West GTA
doubleA wrote: Should I use this soil or this other Triple Mix in my lawn for over-seeding?
https://www.lowes.ca/soil/sta-green-283 ... 29177.html
If you're using triple mix as a seed cover (and to add some good fresh soil to the existing lawn), you might be surprised as to how much you actually need.

Say your lawn is 3k sqft. Say you plan on putting a uniform 1/4 inch layer of soil on it. So, let's do the math:

0.25/12*3000 = 62.50 cubic feet of soil, or 2.3 cubic yards. Assuming one bag is about one cubic foot, that's 63 bags of soil. That's a lot of bags!

You might end up being better off with a bulk soil delivery.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3127 posts
12769 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
embguy wrote: 1. dethatch lawn
2. Spread seed over lawn
3. Spread fertilizer over lawn
4. Spread gardening top soil over the lawn
5. Drag the back side of a rake over the lawn to mix them and spread them evening over the lawn.
6. Water everyday to ensure the seeds will germinate.
for step 4, isn't supposed to be starter fertilizer?
download (1).png

what is the recommended grass seed, the existing grass seed from Costco doesn't stay for next season look like its seasonal.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1071 posts
1013 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Rlcky wrote:
for step 4, isn't supposed to be starter fertilizer?
download (1).png

what is the recommended grass seed, the existing grass seed from Costco doesn't stay for next season look like its seasonal.
Yes you will need starter fertilizer of any kind in the beginning. High on P and some K (2nd and 3rd number labeled on fert). For second and 3rd application, switch to higher rate of N (better slow release during summer to prevent burn) with some iron. In fall you want some K to prevent disease and damage during winter harsh weather.

For seed, check the label at the back. Better go with higher rate of fescue or KBG, lower rate of annual rye. Also make sure you are not buying last season products (higher chance for early season of clearance item)

Personally, I had good experience of cil golf green.
Many people recommend spear seed from home hardware but I never tried.
For costco seed, don’t use the 4kg bag as some reported they changed the mix since 2017 and quality goes down.
The coated seat should be good on paper, but expensive as you spend 50% of the money for coating.
Some also reported good result of garden club from Canadian tire, but don’t go with the bulk bag that is more than 8kg as the mix has no KBG.

I get seeds from fairgreen sod (gta area) this season but noticed they seem change the mix slightly this year. But they are also good seeds highly regarded. I would recommend anyone to search and try seed from local sod/seed farm if available.

Money wise, $5-8 per kg is a fair/good price for a good mix (no coating) but the priority is to get good seed even f it is expensive. With bad seed, everything goes wasted in the end. Get good seed and get more than enough, you may need spot treatment later after first batch of shoots out.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Jan 17, 2008
730 posts
371 upvotes
anshiren wrote: The issue of pre-mixing is
a. the rate for seed or fertilizer, and
b. properly mix everything evenly.

You want 2-7lb/1000 sqrt ft of seed for overseeding (manufacture normally only suggest 2lb but personally I find 5-7lb is better, also Allen from Lawn Care Nut YouTube channel suggests the same, his words are “grass seed is cheap, throw it down baby”).
Same thing for fertilizer, there is a suggested rate, normally you do not want over 0.8lb/1000 sqrt ft (unless it is milo
or some other organic fertilizer).
If pre-mix together, unless you can find a large enough container, it will be hard to get the right amount/ratio. Also, it needs to be mixed really evenly or you may have clump for grass and some bare spots (at least I know tall fescue tends to clump even if you seed evenly and it looks ugly).

For soil there is no specific requirement, simply just top dress and 1/8-1/4 inch and it doesn’t matter if you missed or put a bit thick at some spot. But again if too much fertilizer it may risk burn the lawn, and too little seed may give a poor end result which would be a shame for all the efforts and money invested.

That is only some of my thoughts, but hey, whatever works for you, it will be the best method.
Great advice, but I don't add fertilizer to my mixture. Just seed, soil and manure.
Around 6 weeks after the initial seeding I will add some fertilizer with a spreader, but my initial seeding mixture is just seed, soil and manure. It smells funky for a day or 2 but the grass grows must quicker than with fertilizer. I don't know the science behind it. I just know it works.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1071 posts
1013 upvotes
Mooooonnn
jestik wrote:
Great advice, but I don't add fertilizer to my mixture. Just seed, soil and manure.
Around 6 weeks after the initial seeding I will add some fertilizer with a spreader, but my initial seeding mixture is just seed, soil and manure. It smells funky for a day or 2 but the grass grows must quicker than with fertilizer. I don't know the science behind it. I just know it works.

I see. It is true that one do not need to worry about the ratio of fertilizer in that case, as manure is very forgiven and also the smell helps to repel some animals away from the turf. However if I were to mix and seed, I may not know the right amount/ratio of seed and that is my only concern.

Putting down fert later is a better practice. I think if one puts fertilizer with a higher N (or fast release) while seeding, the existing grass will be taking the Nitrogen as well and then growing faster before the new seed germinate, and it will create shade and compete with the new grass, which is not ideal. Also, putting fertilizer too early will encourage top growth for existing lawn which is not recommended.

By putting fertilizer later or use a balanced manure with lower N and slow release, that will be better and will not give the existing grass too much boost while still providing enough P for new root growth. For seeding a new lawn with only bare soil, I think it is fine to use starter fertilizer directly while seeding.

Personally I did something similiar: put some starter fert and slow release organic fert (chicken manure) when seeding. After 6-8 weeks when I finish the first mow, I will then put one more light application with more N and some iron (home hardware organic fertilizer) and that is good till fall.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
Dec 1, 2006
947 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
I got my soil from HD and Costco fertilizer from last year.

Where do I get a good deal on grass seed that is NOT seasonal?

I hear this is seasonal
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... 2282625/2/

Should I get one of these? Are these good deals?
https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/g ... -shade-mix
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scot ... #store=600
Banned
Apr 8, 2015
345 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver, ON
Whats the best soil to use at the moment with overseeding/fixing up bare spots?

I heard there was a deal a few days ago on topsoil but cant find it.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2016
1054 posts
1321 upvotes
canada
jamesdavid3 wrote: Whats the best soil to use at the moment with overseeding/fixing up bare spots?

I heard there was a deal a few days ago on topsoil but cant find it.
I got a pretty good deal from Lowe's the other day. 28.3L bags of top soil premixed with fertilizer. It's clearance so YMMV. I also used the 10 bucks off from email sign up so 70 bucks for 40 bags.

https://www.lowes.ca/soil/sta-green-283 ... 35180.html
Apr 19, 2004
962 posts
456 upvotes
Earth
bloodylankan wrote: I got my soil from HD and Costco fertilizer from last year.

Where do I get a good deal on grass seed that is NOT seasonal?

I hear this is seasonal
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... 2282625/2/

Should I get one of these? Are these good deals?
https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/g ... -shade-mix
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scot ... #store=600
Grass seed
Reno depot in Aurora has it on clearance
Costco usually is cheep. On sale now
Grassseed
1kg for $6.49 - $2.95lb
1kg for 9.99 - $4.55lb
4kg for
$21.97 - $2.50lb costco reg
$16.99 - $1.93lb costco on sale
$15.99 - $1.81lb $3.99kg - 2012
$14.97 - walmart
5kg for 29.99 - $2.70lb
10kg for 49.99 - $2.20lb
25kg for 129.99 - $2.36lb
22lb / $38 - $1.72
22lb / $35 - $1.59 pick seed. TSC
Images
  • 20190505_082316.jpg
Oct 23, 2010
70 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
anshiren wrote: I see. It is true that one do not need to worry about the ratio of fertilizer in that case, as manure is very forgiven and also the smell helps to repel some animals away from the turf. However if I were to mix and seed, I may not know the right amount/ratio of seed and that is my only concern.

Putting down fert later is a better practice. I think if one puts fertilizer with a higher N (or fast release) while seeding, the existing grass will be taking the Nitrogen as well and then growing faster before the new seed germinate, and it will create shade and compete with the new grass, which is not ideal. Also, putting fertilizer too early will encourage top growth for existing lawn which is not recommended.

By putting fertilizer later or use a balanced manure with lower N and slow release, that will be better and will not give the existing grass too much boost while still providing enough P for new root growth. For seeding a new lawn with only bare soil, I think it is fine to use starter fertilizer directly while seeding.

Personally I did something similiar: put some starter fert and slow release organic fert (chicken manure) when seeding. After 6-8 weeks when I finish the first mow, I will then put one more light application with more N and some iron (home hardware organic fertilizer) and that is good till fall.
I tried putting down topsoil after seeding and realized it was such a gruelling exercise that I ended up only putting topsoil for areas where I had big patchy areas where there was no grass and only mud. Should I continue with topsoiling my entire lawn? If so, any tips on how to throw down topsoil faster?
Dec 1, 2006
947 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
hseeng wrote: Grass seed
Reno depot in Aurora has it on clearance
Costco usually is cheep. On sale now
Grassseed
1kg for $6.49 - $2.95lb
1kg for 9.99 - $4.55lb
4kg for
$21.97 - $2.50lb costco reg
$16.99 - $1.93lb costco on sale
$15.99 - $1.81lb $3.99kg - 2012
$14.97 - walmart
5kg for 29.99 - $2.70lb
10kg for 49.99 - $2.20lb
25kg for 129.99 - $2.36lb
22lb / $38 - $1.72
22lb / $35 - $1.59 pick seed. TSC
I hear the Costco isn't that great and doesn't grow back the next year. Thats why I was looking seed that'll grow back every year.
I'll assume I need 75% Kentucky and 25% Rye
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1071 posts
1013 upvotes
Mooooonnn
sen6es wrote:
I tried putting down topsoil after seeding and realized it was such a gruelling exercise that I ended up only putting topsoil for areas where I had big patchy areas where there was no grass and only mud. Should I continue with topsoiling my entire lawn? If so, any tips on how to throw down topsoil faster?
1. You can do core aeration and detaching, and remove the thatch by mowing with bag, then throw it down the seeds. After that lightly rake with back of bow rake or leaf rake, to rake the seeds in. Some also recommend to put a layer of batch master or peat moss to hold the seed and moisture.

2. To top dress, there is no faster way: either put it down bag by bag, or if you ask a bulk delivered. Use a wheel barrow and shovel. Plan ahead and divide the work to several days maybe better than kill your back overnight.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice