Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Snow Joe 10-inch 24V Cordless Electric Snow Shovel Kit with 5.0 Ah Battery + Charger $128

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2022 9:12 am
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2156 posts
2153 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: Looks like more work than just using a shovel or push sled. I'd say go for a real snow blower if you don't want to stick with shovelling.
My neighbour has small electric snow blower and it seemed to work well, though he did have to go in and recharge a few times, and that was with the 2ft of light powder snow we got. My other neighbours have real gas blowers and they are still much better than any electric.
Big downside of gas is the noise, smell and maintenance. When I was shovelling with my push plow, I was pretty annoyed when the fumes came my way. It certainly took me me longer with the push sled, but it's easy on my back. I did finish faster than the electric blower though.

Even this guy wasn't happy with his electric snowjoe blower (blew the battery fuse).

Painful to watch. Really shouldn't try moving that much wet snow all at once with that blower.
May 31, 2009
119 posts
145 upvotes
I have the corded one.
This thing is a pain to use in a small community, to the point I just stopped using it at all.

No directional for throwing, just up and forward. If its windy, snow will just fly into your face or back onto your driveway. The snow gets launched pretty far, so snow, slush, ice might fall onto cars parked on the road or onto your neighbor's driveway(it goes far)

Not sure if the cordless one has less strength that may ease the inconveniences of what I face.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
5309 posts
30219 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone use these on an ODR? I don't mind lugging my large Ariens 24" into the rink, but it's work and I always risk cutting the liner. Something smaller like this is easier I find. Plus, I don't want to spend a lot...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1520 posts
988 upvotes
engineered wrote: Looks like more work than just using a shovel or push sled.
Wrong. I have a huge upstairs patio. Snowblower is too heavy to carry up and down two flights of stairs. Also hard to navigate the patio with the bigger equipment.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
elfion wrote: Wrong. I have a huge upstairs patio. Snowblower is too heavy to carry up and down two flights of stairs. Also hard to navigate the patio with the bigger equipment.
Wrong in that specific case, and I agree with you that a snowblower doesn't make sense there.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31712 posts
13046 upvotes
cloak wrote: Painful to watch. Really shouldn't try moving that much wet snow all at once with that blower.
But the thing is it did well with the wet snow, it's just the battery didn't last.

The thing that's painful is the guy can't replace a fuse, even though he know it's just a fuse :facepalm: Instead returns it and calls it a day on it lol. Like what? He even says it was impressive, good, etc. when it worked. So, why not replace the fuse? Why not RMA the battery if didn't want to open it? Why not exchange the whole thing?

I dunno he seems to not understand the point of a fuse is to protect you from things like shock, fire, etc. Just thinks it's an inconvenience that shouldn't be there lol. But even if he thought that why didn't he replace the fuse with a shunt or something--I mean yeah maybe would be fire time after that but you know, he's not inconvenienced by the pesky fuse anymore :lol:

Granted maybe SJ should make the fuse user-replaceable or something instead. Most cordless tool batteries (Milwaukee, Ryobi, DeWalt, Makita, etc.) I thought the battery or tool shut down the output electronically-once the load is removed and/or the battery cools it's good to go again. Why is SJ using a fuse? Weird.

Anyway as for the tool that this thread is actually about it seems like an okay deal. I think has been cheaper on clearance but then you have to wait for spring for that, so this price isn't bad now. 5Ah battery itself is basically worth this price (though not sure how many other SnowJoe/SunJoe tools it's usable in).
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16549 posts
5027 upvotes
Markham
these would be more fun

48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Nov 15, 2006
646 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
Keigotw wrote: these would be more fun
I would need a bigger home and lot first.
Jun 3, 2008
235 posts
228 upvotes
Newmarket
DougO wrote: This Toro looks like it might be better than the EGO.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/toro-p ... 1001638728

Too bad it costs way more than the most expensive Toro Heavy Duty gas blower...
You are comparing a $128 special use item with a $2300 snow blower?

I have this power shovel and it works fine for small areas such as porch, deck and walkways... not meant to handle your driveway, you need to spend a lot more $$$.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5160 posts
1928 upvotes
engineered wrote: Hopefully EV snow blowers continue to get better and come down in cost.
It looks like there are some really powerful ones, but you gotta pay quite a bit.
https://www.treehugger.com/best-electri ... rs-5210680

I don't think I would for anything less than the Snow Joe SJ623E Electric Single Stage Snow Thrower, 18-inch, 15 Amp Motor, Headlights. I'd avoid batteries and go corded as they don't last and will eventually need replacing and they won't be cheap.
Same reason I use a corded mower. It's a bit more hassle to manage the cord, but not a big deal if you aren't going more than 100ft away from the plug.
Best EV ones are EGO brand, hands down. Pretty expensive tho. It's the batteries that make up alot of the cost. They are interchangeable so if you buy one tool with batteries you can save money and buy another as a bare tool.
I just saw at Rona they now have a zero turn lawn mower. Looks awesome Flushed Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)