[OP]
May 7, 2015
346 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Home Depot is so expensive

With all this quarantine BS
gives me time to install my dishwasher.

Homedepot sells the supply line, power cord, and power line I need to purchase. But the price is twice or three times as much as online.

Eg their water supply line is For 6ft is 17$ amazon has it for $5 . Romex 12/2 power line is going to be 45-50$ for the length I need. $20 on amazon.

Wtf eh, amazon shipping date is a month out.

In true RFD spirit I’m not spending a penny more than I have to.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 2nd, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1349 posts
1469 upvotes
Amazon has a lot of junk on it. No refunds, returns pain in the ass.

Home Depot stands by their product. Any issues you bring it back.

So Home Depot is more expensive for your certain parts, Amazon is cheaper but 1 month out. So you have to decide if it's worth it lol. Quite the pickle you are in. Can't have it both ways.

You should try shopping at Reno Depot/Lowes/Rona lol
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17228 posts
3452 upvotes
Toronto
I'd rather pay the extra money and have it now. Amazon delivery times are almost a month from the order date.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
HD is 90 days return vs 30 Amazon
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12070 posts
8360 upvotes
Edmonton
danmartin471 wrote: HD is 90 days return vs 30 Amazon
With HD, as long as it still has the HD bar code on it, you can return it without a receipt, which effectively means no time limit. After our reno project was wrapping up, I grabbed whatever stuff we still had leftover and returned it to HD without a receipt.

Actually (to make a short story longer), what really happened was I used the same credit card for most things, so they scan in the items, then you scan in your card, and if it finds a match based on a sale in the last 90 days, it gets refunded back to your credit card. Anything else gets put on a gift card (based on the lowest price in the last 90 days or something). So I ended up with a $300 refund, and another $200 on a gift card. Which worked out fine by me. Didn't get any flack from the CSR, which was nice.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15859 posts
13075 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
So ...
Looks like you’ve made up your mind then
Do get back to us in May to let us know how the install went
:rolleyes:

Lol, and if you are still married by then

No DW at our house would definitely cause a marriage breakdown
More so with this Covid 19 crisis
Where we are together pretty much under the same roof 24/7

A few DW parts are waaaay cheaper than a divorce

* Another case where a Bargain ... ain’t no bargain if it’s going to cost you a lot of time or frustration.
Or end up costing you more money in the long run.
Dec 26, 2005
621 posts
151 upvotes
Amazon sells a lot of crap that is MIC but you wont know that till you recieve it.
I will gladly pay more for a product made in NA.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
CNeufeld wrote: With HD, as long as it still has the HD bar code on it, you can return it without a receipt, which effectively means no time limit. After our reno project was wrapping up, I grabbed whatever stuff we still had leftover and returned it to HD without a receipt.

Actually (to make a short story longer), what really happened was I used the same credit card for most things, so they scan in the items, then you scan in your card, and if it finds a match based on a sale in the last 90 days, it gets refunded back to your credit card. Anything else gets put on a gift card (based on the lowest price in the last 90 days or something). So I ended up with a $300 refund, and another $200 on a gift card. Which worked out fine by me. Didn't get any flack from the CSR, which was nice.

C
that's really nice! yeah they have a neat billing system.
Probably had to upgrade because of the canadian government requiring them to report to CRA.
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
[OP]
May 7, 2015
346 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SquadG wrote: For a dishwasher, you don't need 12/2... 14/2 is sufficient. How many feet you need?

If your dishwasher need 1450W or more, then use 12/2 but if not 14/2 is plenty.
I was thinking this, i have plenty of 14/2 at home. If i get impatient I will just go with that.
BUT i was thinking of future proofing, and perhaps one day get a garbage disposal -under the sink, hook it all up to the same circuit?

what do ya think?
[OP]
May 7, 2015
346 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PointsHubby wrote: So ...

* Another case where a Bargain ... ain’t no bargain if it’s going to cost you a lot of time or frustration.

hahaha, maybe you're right suck it up and just buy it.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2599 posts
2570 upvotes
Montreal
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: I was thinking this, i have plenty of 14/2 at home. If i get impatient I will just go with that.
BUT i was thinking of future proofing, and perhaps one day get a garbage disposal -under the sink, hook it all up to the same circuit?

what do ya think?
The dishwasher need to be on his own circuit. You could always get a 14/3 and do a split phase: 1 load on the dishwasher and 1 load on your another motor.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1767 posts
552 upvotes
Edmonton
Amazon does have a lot of no-name junk... not sure for dishwasher parts but know it is true for a lot of things. Heck, if you search for backpacks on Amazon, it prioritizes the counterfeit brand over genuine Herschel brand. A fair comparison would be to compare prices with RONA/Lowe's. If the brands are different at Home Depot and Lowe's, I tend to look at both stores and try to decide which brand is better value.
[OP]
May 7, 2015
346 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PointsHubby wrote: So ...

Guess what, Amazon actually delivered most of the stuff today.
I took @SquadG advice and did a 14/3 which makes way more sense.

I gotta get me a GFCI breaker!

Thanks everyone. amazon ftw i guess
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2599 posts
2570 upvotes
Montreal
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Guess what, Amazon actually delivered most of the stuff today.
I took @SquadG advice and did a 14/3 which makes way more sense.

I gotta get me a GFCI breaker!

Thanks everyone. amazon ftw i guess
No need. You can use 2 GFCI outlets unless your dishwasher is wired in directly.
Jun 5, 2016
593 posts
783 upvotes
The Home depot website has a lot of stuff cheaper than in store (lots of JAG plumbing, some other brands) that you can have shipped to the store for free, and usually pretty quickly.

I agree HD is expensive but HD and Lowes basically have a duopoly so why bother competing on price
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9481 posts
4688 upvotes
Markham
I love Home Depot and Costco due to quality,selection and return policy

Thats why i try not to buy in Canadian tire
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3616 posts
2248 upvotes
smartie wrote: I love Home Depot and Costco due to quality,selection and return policy

Thats why i try not to buy in Canadian tire
Home depot I feel is a level higher than Reno depot.
[OP]
May 7, 2015
346 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SquadG wrote: No need. You can use 2 GFCI outlets unless your dishwasher is wired in directly.
I wanted to do the split outlet thing, instead of 2 outlets. and since gfci outlets dont let you split, the breaker is my only option -probably more expensive too. so i believe.