Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] SquareD QO 100-amp (12-slot) sub-panel - $41.60 (60% off regular)

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 8:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 6, 2015
9 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa

[Home Depot] SquareD QO 100-amp (12-slot) sub-panel - $41.60 (60% off regular)

For anybody looking to add a small sub-panel to feed an outbuilding, new addition or finishing a basement , this is a very good deal. Found in the liquidation area not far from Electrical aisles. Quantities seem limited everywhere.

Model # CQO112L100GC
1 Phase, 3 Wire, 120/240VAC
12 Spaces, expandable to 24 circuits maximum with the use of QO Tandem breakers
Type 1 Indoor enclosure with combination flush/surface trim to meet all mounting situations.
CSA approved for vertical, horizontal or inverted mounting
Accepts aluminum or copper conductors
Main Wire Size - AWG/kcmil Al/Cu: #4-1
13 replies
Feb 7, 2004
510 posts
195 upvotes
St Thomas
I’m moving into a new house next week with an unfinished basement which I will be finishing (3-4 rooms including bathroom and utility room). I’m pretty sure the main panel is only 100 amps. I have been eyeing sub panels mainly for extra slots. Is it silly to consider a 100 amp sub panel or better to have the head room and not need it?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16469 posts
9268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Labrie wrote: I’m moving into a new house next week with an unfinished basement which I will be finishing (3-4 rooms including bathroom and utility room). I’m pretty sure the main panel is only 100 amps. I have been eyeing sub panels mainly for extra slots. Is it silly to consider a 100 amp sub panel or better to have the head room and not need it?
Similar boat here.... I have an old 100A that is FULL and want to add a few more circuits. I purchased a full panel a few years back as these subpanels at the regular price made NO sense in terms of economics - ie $100+ for the subpanel and then you still need to buy the breakers which at the price of the breakers would easily exceed the price of the main panel kit (w/ the assortment of breakers).

The major downfall of another main panel is that they are BIG physically when you just need a handful of circuits. I still haven't installed my new main panel as a subpanel yet as it would require a much larger hole than I would like. I might just buy this subpanel, use some of the breakers in the panel kit, and then sell the rest...
Jul 27, 2016
196 posts
129 upvotes
victoria
craftsman wrote: Similar boat here.... I have an old 100A that is FULL and want to add a few more circuits. I purchased a full panel a few years back as these subpanels at the regular price made NO sense in terms of economics - ie $100+ for the subpanel and then you still need to buy the breakers which at the price of the breakers would easily exceed the price of the main panel kit (w/ the assortment of breakers).

The major downfall of another main panel is that they are BIG physically when you just need a handful of circuits. I still haven't installed my new main panel as a subpanel yet as it would require a much larger hole than I would like. I might just buy this subpanel, use some of the breakers in the panel kit, and then sell the rest...
I would do a load calculation first. also the sub panel need to be fed off a 100 amp breaker in your main panel and I dont think can run a 100 amp sub panel off a 100 amp main panel.

you care probably better to upgrade your service.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2600 posts
2577 upvotes
Montreal
DominicL044247 wrote: I would do a load calculation first. also the sub panel need to be fed off a 100 amp breaker in your main panel and I dont think can run a 100 amp sub panel off a 100 amp main panel.

you care probably better to upgrade your service.
This sub panel doesn't have a main braker so you can bring up to 100A in power. It just mean the metal is thick enough to support 100A.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16469 posts
9268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone try price matching with Lowes?
Dec 8, 2013
163 posts
264 upvotes
Newmarket
Probably clearing them out for the new model that supports the new arc fault breakers that just snap in. Still a great deal if you need more space.
Apr 3, 2018
192 posts
145 upvotes
Bobcat11 wrote: Probably clearing them out for the new model that supports the new arc fault breakers that just snap in. Still a great deal if you need more space.
was told by an associate that HD stores are clearing load centers that do not comply with the new electrical code. Can not be installed in new home, but still ok for old home.
Nov 26, 2008
866 posts
510 upvotes
GTA
Great website for calculations! This is going to help with the ev charger addition
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3897 posts
1412 upvotes
Montreal
Labrie wrote: I’m moving into a new house next week with an unfinished basement which I will be finishing (3-4 rooms including bathroom and utility room). I’m pretty sure the main panel is only 100 amps. I have been eyeing sub panels mainly for extra slots. Is it silly to consider a 100 amp sub panel or better to have the head room and not need it?
Depending on your panel, you may be able to replace some single breakers with double ones (2 breakers that occupy the space of 1). If you're only short a few this is the easiest and cleanest solution.