Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Sun Joe Dethatcher / Scarifier $146 (Save $52)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2021 6:22 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1394 posts
783 upvotes
Can this machine do either dethatching or scarifying? (You don't have to do both every time you run it).
Edit- it looks like 2 separate attachments, so yes.

I'm getting too old to be using the rake, and I think the rake is only doing a half ass job.

Also, how often do you have to replace the tines? It looks like they are $40-$50
https://www.amazon.ca/Sun-Joe-AJ801E-DT ... B073ZD43FZ
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
Bought this in the spring at full price. It was sold out everywhere at the time. Worth every penny.
Sep 5, 2015
373 posts
1259 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Was chatting with Amazon for a price difference match. They suggested me to return the previous one and buy again at a lower price. That is a stupid policy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
ashwani2k wrote: Was chatting with Amazon for a price difference match. They suggested me to return the previous one and buy again at a lower price. That is a stupid policy.
I don't believe that Amazon has ever offered a price match policy. Because of the dynamic pricing it would be a nightmare to deal with. They just make it a hassle so 95% of the general public wont bother.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2005
1274 posts
633 upvotes
I picked up the 10A RADLEY brand from HH for $99 last week and attempted to detatch over the weekend.
Still a tedious process. I only did half my lawn. The unit kept on overheating after 10 or 15 ft of continuous use and it would stop and would have to get restarted after a bit. So it was constant stop and go which I used that time to empty the bag that was doing the poor job of collecting.

My Lawn looks terrible now. I've started to water it like crazy and fertilized it as well and hopefully it will recover.

I did pick up nearly two full bags of crud.

The sun Joe pictured appears to be a better quality at obviously higher price.

The radley has a very cheap construction.

But given that I probably won't be using it for more than a few times I guess it's okay at the price point.

Never used a detacher before so not quite sure what to expect. I did read the link posted earlier on from New Zealand. It helped to put some things in perspective but keep in mind you would have to reverse the time of year.
Jul 10, 2018
6 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary, AB
You’re really supposed to use a de-thatcher in spring before the grass starts to get too long.
Jun 2, 2015
122 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
MarginSoldier wrote: Thanks OP! Ordered one from homedepot!

BTW, anyone has experience with the 13.5 or 12 amp Sun Joe Tiller/Cultivator? Both are cheaper at Amazon than Homedepot so I'm thinking of getting a price match. TIA

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DTIC79Q/ref ... 9NHZ4JN0RA

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sun-jo ... 1001016102
Curious to know as well. Ive been looking to get one of these for awaile. Any feedback from anyone?

Thx
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2996 posts
601 upvotes
Burnaby
nice deal.
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM; AMD Ryzen 5 3600; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB + 16GB; WD Black SN770 1TB;
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6456 posts
925 upvotes
It is now August. Is it too late to dethatch? Plan to buy it but use it next spring but it will pass 180 day return policy.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1737 posts
565 upvotes
jtcb wrote: It is now August. Is it too late to dethatch? Plan to buy it but use it next spring but it will pass 180 day return policy.
Not sure where you are but you can use it in the fall, it’s still too hot in southern Ontario to dethatch. I’m no expert, but I’d wait to the temperatures drop to the low 20’s then dethatch and overseed.
Oct 5, 2012
113 posts
71 upvotes
Edmonton
Drizzt wrote: Can this machine do either dethatching or scarifying? (You don't have to do both every time you run it).
Edit- it looks like 2 separate attachments, so yes.

I'm getting too old to be using the rake, and I think the rake is only doing a half ass job.

Also, how often do you have to replace the tines? It looks like they are $40-$50
https://www.amazon.ca/Sun-Joe-AJ801E-DT ... B073ZD43FZ
Thanks for finding those tines - I've been looking for them. I've had this for about 5 years and lend it out as much (it probably averages doing 4 or 5 yards a year) as I can and just noticed this year that the tines are shorter and requiring me to lower the device to the -10 setting rather than the 0 setting. Not sure that I need to replace them yet but if they go on sale I will grab them. Not sure if someone I was lending it to was hitting too much concrete or what, but they have been relatively solid. The handle which engages the motor broke on me this year but I fixed it with some shims of aluminum epoxied to it.
Jun 22, 2021
19 posts
27 upvotes
416Tom wrote: Curious to know as well. Ive been looking to get one of these for awaile. Any feedback from anyone?

Thx
I ended up price beating with Walmart.ca (same price as Amazon.ca) with HD. Just figure I better buy it now (reviews seem promising) and probably use it in the fall.
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
Just to alert people who want to buy online and ship to your door.

I ordered one from homedepot.ca shipped to my door. The package was sent from the US via UPS. Now UPS wanted me to pay $115 import fee. I contacted home depot and they told me don't pay the fee and they will contact UPS about this issue. The package is scheduled to deliver tomorrow. I hope they can sort it out before the delivery, otherwise I will have to refused delivery.

So if you can pick it up in store please do so, just don't order online and ship it to your door.
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB Tablet Plan
Mar 29, 2007
340 posts
241 upvotes
Calgary
gzlwl wrote: Just to alert people who want to buy online and ship to your door.

I ordered one from homedepot.ca shipped to my door. The package was sent from the US via UPS. Now UPS wanted me to pay $115 import fee. I contacted home depot and they told me don't pay the fee and they will contact UPS about this issue. The package is scheduled to deliver tomorrow. I hope they can sort it out before the delivery, otherwise I will have to refused delivery.

So if you can pick it up in store please do so, just don't order online and ship it to your door.
Thanks for the alert, I just checked mine and see a $110.01 owing on UPS... chatting with Home Depot right now.

Edit: Home Depot said they'll redirect the import fees to themselves. If it shows up before then, reject it and it'll get re-delivered when they've paid the fees
May 14, 2007
157 posts
78 upvotes
Revelstoke
Ryobi has a 18V brushless one on its way.. as much as I want one of these to save the back, I think I'll wait a year or two as the products get better
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18695 posts
5727 upvotes
Wow price foes up so much? I remembwr paying like $80-$90 few uears back
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto

Just checked my tracking and same for me. Hopefully HD just pays it first and not have to redeliver
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2017
1337 posts
1406 upvotes
McLaren wrote: Just checked my tracking and same for me. Hopefully HD just pays it first and not have to redeliver
Same. $139.86 owing for import charges. Somebody messed up and will be a costly error. Have to chat with HD this morning. Pain in the butt.
Jun 4, 2010
85 posts
46 upvotes
Edmonton

Can you let me know where you are seeing the import fee on your tracking? From the order status on Home Depot, I clicked the tracking number and it shows that mine is coming from the US as well, but I do not see any mention of an import fee. Expected to be delivered this afternoon.
Sep 3, 2020
122 posts
139 upvotes
mikerosoft wrote: Can you let me know where you are seeing the import fee on your tracking? From the order status on Home Depot, I clicked the tracking number and it shows that mine is coming from the US as well, but I do not see any mention of an import fee. Expected to be delivered this afternoon.
It says 'Import Fees are due for this package. Pay Now'. If you click on Pay Now it will show the fee.
Calling HD for this....