Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Sun Joe Dethatcher / Scarifier $146 (Save $52)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2021 6:22 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5086 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
NewsyL wrote: I received a warranty replacement unit from Sun Joe yesterday. Delivered by UPS. Box was beat up with holes in it,

Odd thing was that once again my security camera, with its' "Human Detecting AI", did NOT get triggered when it was dropped off. This is the 3rd delivery I've had by UPS since putting these camera in and every one of these was missed by the cams. My cams are quite reliable when it comes to the postman, FEDEX, and Amazon drivers. I can only conclude that UPS drivers are not human. :rolleyes:

Geeez... I'm really starting to wonder. Another UPS delivery yesterday (per the RFD Danby Air Conditioner thread) and this time the security cam triggered but all the video showed was a white screen. This is getting wierd!

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1366 posts
755 upvotes
I have also received an invoice in the mail today (Sep 14th, due Sep 7th)
Sep 23, 2017
91 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
WTF!!

UPS has sent an invoice for 139.70 due dated on Sep 7.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
1090 posts
369 upvotes
sortur wrote: Thanks OP. Received my order from Amazon. It was in a brown box though, not the regular sun joe box that I saw on on YouTube unboxing videos. Nonetheless unit looked brand new and had the exact same parts. tried it and very happy with the purchase. Had to buy a 50ft 14 awg extension cable as the ones I had at home were 16 awg.
Got mine a few weeks ago, and it was brown box too from amazon, stupid thing it was missing a bolt to put the handle together. I guess i'm ok with it coming in a brown box, since it went into recycle anyways. I used it this past weekend, and got the same results as the dudes on youtube, somehow it was satisfying seeing the results, now to see how the grass looks next year, on to overseeding...

One question for the rest of you, what setting did you use and why?, I mowed my lawn down (i didn't measure how low, but will measure next time) and set the dethatcher to 0 and it brought up a bunch of thatch. made me wonder if i should go deeper or use the scarifier..
Aug 2, 2014
121 posts
74 upvotes
Bedford, NS
Saw craftsman detaches at princess auto for $58 this week. Tempting for the price.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1366 posts
755 upvotes
send an email to [email protected] with the invoice number and they will confirm if HD paid the fees. Mine are paid up apparently, even though I received an invoice.
TheRFD wrote: WTF!!
UPS has sent an invoice for 139.70 due dated on Sep 7.
Sep 23, 2017
91 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Drizzt. Sure will do tonight.
Mar 16, 2008
209 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
dealCker wrote: Got mine a few weeks ago, and it was brown box too from amazon, stupid thing it was missing a bolt to put the handle together. I guess i'm ok with it coming in a brown box, since it went into recycle anyways. I used it this past weekend, and got the same results as the dudes on youtube, somehow it was satisfying seeing the results, now to see how the grass looks next year, on to overseeding...

One question for the rest of you, what setting did you use and why?, I mowed my lawn down (i didn't measure how low, but will measure next time) and set the dethatcher to 0 and it brought up a bunch of thatch. made me wonder if i should go deeper or use the scarifier..
Many would suggest Dethatcher on lowest -10 setting.

I overseeded on relatively dry soil and used the scarifier to power-rake the seed in.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
1090 posts
369 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Seems like a great deal. However I'm gonna wait for the Ryobi P2740 to launch...and then later go on clearance...before buying one of these.
That does look interesting, i really didn't like managing the extension cord when i was using my machine... wonder if it will be this cheap though...
Mar 25, 2006
40 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
did the SMS chat with Home Depot and they said its been taken cared of. Called UPS to confirm invoice number and they also confirmed its been paid. So I wouldn't worry too much.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21124 posts
5803 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
dealCker wrote: One question for the rest of you, what setting did you use and why?, I mowed my lawn down (i didn't measure how low, but will measure next time) and set the dethatcher to 0 and it brought up a bunch of thatch. made me wonder if i should go deeper or use the scarifier..
Dethatcher should be on 0, +5, or +10.
Scarifier should be on -10, -5, or 0.

I scarified on -5, making 2 passes in a chess-board pattern. But that was too deep for some areas. My property is not very flat, and the -5 went too deep on the curved areas, ripping up too much grass. It's because the curve of the hill forms a 'belly' that goes higher up into the machine. Also, the curved areas get more shade in my yard and tend to be more moist, so I think the grass roots were not as deep. In retrospect, I should have just used a dethatch rake on those areas.

Flat areas generated huge amounts of thatch, and I could clearly see the chess-board pattern afterwards. Though it's filling quite nicely now after overseeding and spreading peat moss.

Note: Some sources suggest you should not do a chess-board pattern, or anything with 90 degree angles. It creates too much opportunity for the scarifier to catch on the soil 'edges' and lift it up too much.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
dealCker wrote: That does look interesting, i really didn't like managing the extension cord when i was using my machine... wonder if it will be this cheap though...
Well given it didn't hit stores this year, it won't be out until next spring most likely. Which means it will be full pop at that time; however, will probably go on clearance by fall which is when you'd need to cash in. I'm in no rush. Grass is garbage anyway, I'm not in any kind of rush to "fix" my lawn, if anything I'd like to find a way to stop it (and the weeds) from growing so I don't have to mow it as much lol. Yeah I know about synlawn, etc. but those are big money as well.

As a side note, UK (and possibly other countries) have had the Ryobi for a while now. It uses two 18V batts in parallel (or uses them sequentially) to increase run time, which is pretty cool. Some people have imported it from there but that makes the price insane so not really worth it at all.