Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Sun Joe Electric Multi-Angle Pole Chain Saw 10 inch 8.0 Amp - $87.27 (after PM)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 11:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1101 posts
782 upvotes
Waterloo

[Home Depot] Sun Joe Electric Multi-Angle Pole Chain Saw 10 inch 8.0 Amp - $87.27 (after PM)

Happened to find myself in the market for a pole chainsaw. Past deals would suggest that this is a good unit and a great price.

Walmart.ca has it for $96.97 Sun Joe SWJ803E-CMO Electric Multi-Angle Pole Chain Saw | 10 inch | 8.0 Amp (Camo), while Home Depot has it for $178. Both in stock, free shipping (neither have it available in store). As a note, I had a really tough time getting through to someone to do the PM at Home Depot. I found a lot of patience with the online chat eventually yielded success. I couldn't get through on the phone and leaving my number in the queue for call back didn't seem to get results either.

Reviews on the unit are good. It's camo but who cares.
41 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3928 posts
1825 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Thanks OP! Might suggest putting YMMV as it not certain that the extra 10% would apply as this is online only? I've been trying to call support but can't even get though to their number!? Can't seem to find chat either - looks like they removed it?

Thinking about getting this even though I've already got the Ryobi pole saw (unused). Sun Joe version seems to have a longer reach although it needs to be plugged in... Ryobi is cordless (battery power)... decisions, decisions... Thinking Face
I can't afford to save that much!
Mar 3, 2018
30 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
Just ordered it. + 1% cashback from Rakuten.
Oct 26, 2015
35 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
Were yo able to price match it?
or just ordered from wal-mart?
Feb 22, 2010
497 posts
493 upvotes
Home Depot website mentions the extra 10% doesn't apply with online price-match. Good if you got it, but otherwise, order from Walmart if still possible.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4971 posts
896 upvotes
Burlington
Have they shortened the online delivery timeframe since the stores have now opened?
Jul 28, 2005
21 posts
65 upvotes
Kingston
I’ve been trying to call Homehardware since Friday about an order. Can’t even wait for a customers service rep, say phone lines are at capacity and hangs uoPouting Face
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3138 posts
1750 upvotes
Mississauga
Success through online chat
$98.62 all in shipped to Ontario by 27th
Op thanked
Jun 11, 2015
173 posts
210 upvotes
London Ontario
I must be stupid... I've tried several browsers and i can't seem to get live chat to work.

Even incognito where adblocker doesn't run... Where does it show up for people?
Dec 30, 2015
23 posts
5 upvotes
White Rock, BC
They will beat it by 10%. Only price matching is only for online-only stores. So any store that has brick and mortar location they will beat by 10%.

I just got it by going into the store and getting them to order it for me. Phone was on hold for way too long.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3138 posts
1750 upvotes
Mississauga
picklefingers wrote: I must be stupid... I've tried several browsers and i can't seem to get live chat to work.

Even incognito where adblocker doesn't run... Where does it show up for people?
Did it in chrome incognito on my droid phone
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes
I was looking at these until I saw the new dewalt 15 foot 20v XR 8” pole saw and dropped the $200 on it! But for half the dough this is a good deal.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Nov 25, 2008
296 posts
508 upvotes
I own this and used for past 2 summers. Works well and can reach really high. Sure beats doing it manually.

Only complaint is the oil leaks out and gets messy. I always fill it to minimum amount each time. Read this problem in a review before I bought it too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1101 posts
782 upvotes
Waterloo
deals46 wrote: Thanks OP! Might suggest putting YMMV as it not certain that the extra 10% would apply as this is online only? I've been trying to call support but can't even get though to their number!? Can't seem to find chat either - looks like they removed it?

Thinking about getting this even though I've already got the Ryobi pole saw (unused). Sun Joe version seems to have a longer reach although it needs to be plugged in... Ryobi is cordless (battery power)... decisions, decisions... Thinking Face
The Sun Joe doesn't reach much higher than the Ryobi that I saw. Descriptions are a bit misleading. The Sun Joe says 15' which includes the 9'4" of the unit AND your estimated height of 5'8". If I recall the Ryobi says 9' so really only 4" higher. The extra cutting length is beneficial for larger limbs as well as more teeth to do the cutting (longer between sharpening for same work in theory).

I prefer Ryobi batteries and tools because I have a bunch. I missed the Ryobi for $88 but would prefer this unit, even though corded, for similar price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1101 posts
782 upvotes
Waterloo
DraKoLich wrote: I own this and used for past 2 summers. Works well and can reach really high. Sure beats doing it manually.

Only complaint is the oil leaks out and gets messy. I always fill it to minimum amount each time. Read this problem in a review before I bought it too.
Given it's electric I assume you mean the bar/chain oil? All saws will expel the fluid because it's trying to keep things lubricated when cutting. My other chainsaws (when properly working) do the same. Is this one worse somehow when using proper oil?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1101 posts
782 upvotes
Waterloo
Redfisher wrote: I was looking at these until I saw the new dewalt 15 foot 20v XR 8” pole saw and dropped the $200 on it! But for half the dough this is a good deal.
"The DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Brushless Cordless Pole Saw comes equipped with an 8 in. Bar and Chain to handle all of your pruning needs"

"The well balanced design and durable pole shaft extends up to 10 ft. for a total reach of 15 ft."

20V MAX* XR CORDLESS POLE SAW KIT

When I really looked closely at pole chainsaws, nobody delivered over 10' tool only length (9'-10' range) and 10" bar was seemingly large.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5156 posts
2580 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Stranger wrote: Given it's electric I assume you mean the bar/chain oil? All saws will expel the fluid because it's trying to keep things lubricated when cutting. My other chainsaws (when properly working) do the same. Is this one worse somehow when using proper oil?
These things are notorious for leaking bar/chain oil. No matter the brand it seems. They flip and flop due to their awkward design, and you can almost guarantee you'll need a good supply of chain lube to refill the reservoir almost every time you need to use it, because despite your best intentions on storing these things properly, the oil has leaked out when you go and grab it to use it the odd time you need it. My experience anyways, with several of these things.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3928 posts
1825 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Stranger wrote: The Sun Joe doesn't reach much higher than the Ryobi that I saw. Descriptions are a bit misleading. The Sun Joe says 15' which includes the 9'4" of the unit AND your estimated height of 5'8". If I recall the Ryobi says 9' so really only 4" higher. The extra cutting length is beneficial for larger limbs as well as more teeth to do the cutting (longer between sharpening for same work in theory).

I prefer Ryobi batteries and tools because I have a bunch. I missed the Ryobi for $88 but would prefer this unit, even though corded, for similar price.

Agreed... rather misleading. I was just about to comment/post on that.

When I read the description this morning, I saw 15' and thought that was the length of extension. As you've mentioned, I have researched more and realize that there is not a big difference in reach between the Ryobi and Sun Joe models.

I also have Ryobi as my primary tools and batteries. Anyway, as per RFD motto, buy first, decide later.

Thanks OP!
I can't afford to save that much!
Nov 25, 2008
296 posts
508 upvotes
Stranger wrote: Given it's electric I assume you mean the bar/chain oil? All saws will expel the fluid because it's trying to keep things lubricated when cutting. My other chainsaws (when properly working) do the same. Is this one worse somehow when using proper oil?
What midget_man said. I find it drips when it is upright (bar/chain aiming up). Havent noticed the dripping when operating it, just in storage.

Again, I compensate for it by filling it a little and not have much left in reservoir before storing it. Just hope its adequately lubricated when I use it...