Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Thermacell area repellent

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 3:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38202 posts
24389 upvotes
Center of Universe
Alexdubzz wrote: They work really good but got knows what chemicals you are inhaling with them, the smoke they give off smells like a drug lab.
Can't be any more harmful than the bug spray that you apply on your skin.
Apr 19, 2017
219 posts
194 upvotes
Just came back from a cottage week using the Thermacell Radius, it ended up working really well when there was no wind. When there was a gentle breeze I'd say it was still pretty effective, but there would be the occasional mosquito buzzing around (still much less than no repellent at all). These products rely on you basically being stationary, so I would hesitate to recommend one for backpacking.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8996 posts
2276 upvotes
Mont-Royal
what chemicals do they put inside?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Dec 24, 2017
405 posts
391 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Can't be any more harmful than the bug spray that you apply on your skin.
Yeah fair enough it's probably many times better than using deet or something g similar.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38202 posts
24389 upvotes
Center of Universe
Alexdubzz wrote: Yeah fair enough it's probably many times better than using deet or something g similar.
I clip it on the backside of my pants when walking on the trails or wooded area where mosquitoes are out in full force.
Quitter
Nov 22, 2012
232 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP.

Picked up from woodbine and 7 (still a bunch left - none with the sticker though. Cashier was aware of the price though) . Was debating this for a bit, but at $15 it's worth trying out.
Oct 26, 2009
75 posts
105 upvotes
NL
Just as a note on effectiveness, works great for mosquitoes, but most definitely not against Newfoundland's black flies.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10424 posts
11100 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. Two left at HD @ 7 & Woodbine
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3074 posts
2163 upvotes
I bought this and used it while bear hunting this spring. My stand was 20 feet up and, prior to using this, the mosquitos swarmed unbelievably. I wore net mesh over a sweater in the hot weather with a hat under the mesh to keep them away from my skin where the mesh rested. When I used Thermacell...not a mosquito and, in fact, I could strip down to bare chest for a few minutes just to eliminate the sweat. Got so comfortable that I fell asleep in the stand and missed seeing a mother and cubs followed by another 2-year old male. This is a still from the video taken while i was sound asleep...Look at Momma bear looking up. She knew I was there...snoring. Thermacell.
Images
  • 0035.jpg
205 upvotes
Toronto
stoked84 wrote: I too would like to know if thermocell works for a patio. I live in Durham so it gets pretty buggy at night in the summer.
Durham too.
I’ve been using the lantern version. It’s very noticeable how well it works. I was skeptical about it at first, but it works amazingly.
It’s been extra buggy lately. Forgot to turn it on one day, got a ton of bites. Turned it on and the next day and no bites. Been on ever since.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2023 posts
1416 upvotes
I tried the patio this last weekend at the cottage. Noticed no difference.
Dec 13, 2004
670 posts
189 upvotes
CamGuy85 wrote:
Durham too.
I’ve been using the lantern version. It’s very noticeable how well it works. I was skeptical about it at first, but it works amazingly.
It’s been extra buggy lately. Forgot to turn it on one day, got a ton of bites. Turned it on and the next day and no bites. Been on ever since.
djpr wrote: I tried the patio this last weekend at the cottage. Noticed no difference.
Maybe silly question - I don't understand how lantern, patio or the backpack versions differ in terms of how well they work to repel mosquitoes? They all work on the same principle of heating a pad that's soaked with repellent just in different shapes? Are just some of the heating elements hotter than others?
Jan 31, 2013
47 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton
Some words of warning,as these can/will come with reliability issues. the portable tabletop/backpack versions spring that keeps the butane valve open weakens and fails and will not allow ignition.I also purchased a RFD thermocell radius last year with plans to use it this year from Canadian Tire. I tried to charge it this April to use it but it was D.O.A right out of the box.Battery would not charge.

I have contacted Thermocell for warranty by Email and phone calls with the same consistant lack of resolution.i have been made to start a new ticket each time and send copies of reciept and pictures of device each time with promises to call back or respond.it has been four months now,the brand new device is dead out of the box and i am out $70.i paid by visa and no help from them after 3 months also the same for canadian tire.
Jan 16, 2011
30 posts
12 upvotes
Picked one of these up from CT. Been using when docked overnight on our sailboat. Leave it on deck and within a 20 minutes of igniting all the mosquitoes are gone. Pretty impressive.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4049 posts
1479 upvotes
Ontario
d_chow wrote: Maybe silly question - I don't understand how lantern, patio or the backpack versions differ in terms of how well they work to repel mosquitoes? They all work on the same principle of heating a pad that's soaked with repellent just in different shapes? Are just some of the heating elements hotter than others?
pretty sure they are all the same power just different styles. the one the op posted is a really old version. it probably still works fine, but just fyi. CT had the MR450 on sale for $25 about a month ago. AFAIK, the heating element and pads are all the same sizes.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3644 upvotes
GTA
Do I get this or not? I never seem to get bitten, but the GF is a magnet. I guess I should be a good BF and get it for her since she is the reason mosquitos never bite me.
Nov 30, 2013
841 posts
1116 upvotes
It is a good deal. But if you really using this, then buy the backpack version and do the refill dipping hack. That will save you a ton of money compared to this butane cartridge version (which can also be hacked but a lot more effort).
Nov 23, 2018
38 posts
19 upvotes
I’ve got a couple of the belt clip style thermacells...even where I live, it’s performance is underwhelming...certainly not worth the cost.
A citronella candle from Dollarama works as well or better.
Also those coil bracelets that are mossy repellent work pretty well.

Hope the area ones or lanterns work better.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)