Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Tilex Soap Scum Remover & Disinfectant Spray, Lemon, 946 ml $0.86 in store (Price Error)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2019 5:11 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2780 posts
4017 upvotes
Toronto
bobcat99 wrote: In this case it wasn't higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store,
So SCOP doesn't apply.
huh?? Its displayed on the website at the location I was at at 86 cents. it scanned in at 4 bucks.... if you say the store sticker was still at 4 bucks, it doesn't matter. If the store has the same item placed in 2 different location, one location has a lower price sticker, u'd still go with the lower price sticker at the second location right? This happens all the time in stores... like duct tape in home depot... in this case, the "second" location is on their own website.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DoorCrasher wrote: As I said in an earlier post, water should not go through the walls / through the floor if the shower / bathroom have been well built, respecting construction code. Unless it is a very old house, never had renos, and bleach been poured on the tiles grout every week for many many years, and that underneat the tiles there was nothing to seal the walls/floor like a membrane
Use what you want. My wife works regularly with home inspectors, lots not code. Also bleach is irritating, not good in an enclosed shower, some people can develop allergies to it. Two of my coworkers can’t even be in a room, one gets immediately tachycardic.
Jan 22, 2009
180 posts
247 upvotes
Went to Park Royal store at West Van. Cashier first said no price match but they could offer 10% off the scanned price $4.16

Then she double checked with her co-worker and eventually matched the $.86 price online.

Grabbed 2 bottles.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
AncasterRFD wrote: Use what you want. My wife works regularly with home inspectors, lots not code. Also bleach is irritating, not good in an enclosed shower, some people can develop allergies to it. Two of my coworkers can’t even be in a room, one gets immediately tachycardic.
First, you are right when you say that bleach is irritating for the respiratory system. That's the main reason why I do not use it.

Now…
AncasterRFD wrote: I would avoid sitting bleach in the shower, it dries out the grout and the continuous water seepage can rot the beams underneath, creating mildew on the drywall the floor below. Scrub with baking soda and vinegar, work better, rinse immediately.
Not true
Zen wrote: What happened if you don't dilute the bleach?
AncasterRFD wrote: Grout dries out, becomes porous, water goes under the tiles, eventually past the barrier into the beams etc. I saw mold on my neighbour’s garage ceiling. I said your shower above that? Yep. Use bleach? Yep. Needs to re-grout and seal. Redo the ceiling drywall.
well if this is true, your neighbor must have a very old house. Newer houses are built respecting the construction code, and there must be a barrier between the tiles and the drywall. First, in a bathroom, you should install moisture resistant drywall. Over the drywall you should install a membrane. There is liquid membrane for where you can't install one.

AND… stops spreading falsehoods. Bleach is an alkaline chemical. What harms the grout is acid chemicals… So, technically, bleach would be good to clean grout. I would if it was not the fact that bleach is an irritant for the respiratory system. I use Mr. Clean to clean the grout in my kitchen and in my bathroom (it is an alkaline cleaner) as it is recommended by the Tile Council of north America. From their website: Keep in mind though, that grout is based primarily of cement and sand. Sand, like glass, is unaffected chemically by most cleaners. Cement is not - rather it is alkaline based and is dissolved by acids. As baking soda and vinegar react, so do grout and vinegar. Accordingly, it is better to clean grout with an alkaline cleaner (Spic and Span, Mr. Clean, etc.) than an acid based cleaner. https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/39-grout.html#faq37
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
yashgandhi wrote: Baking soda + white vinegar
do not use vinegar on grout…

Keep in mind though, that grout is based primarily of cement and sand. Sand, like glass, is unaffected chemically by most cleaners. Cement is not - rather it is alkaline based and is dissolved by acids. As baking soda and vinegar react, so do grout and vinegar.
from https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/39-grout.html#faq37
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DoorCrasher wrote: First, you are right when you say that bleach is irritating for the respiratory system. That's the main reason why I do not use it.

Now…

Not true

well if this is true, your neighbor must have a very old house. Newer houses are built respecting the construction code, and there must be a barrier between the tiles and the drywall. First, in a bathroom, you should install moisture resistant drywall. Over the drywall you should install a membrane. There is liquid membrane for where you can't install one.

AND… stops spreading falsehoods. Bleach is an alkaline chemical. What harms the grout is acid chemicals… So, technically, bleach would be good to clean grout. I would if it was not the fact that bleach is an irritant for the respiratory system. I use Mr. Clean to clean the grout in my kitchen and in my bathroom (it is an alkaline cleaner) as it is recommended by the Tile Council of north America. From their website: Keep in mind though, that grout is based primarily of cement and sand. Sand, like glass, is unaffected chemically by most cleaners. Cement is not - rather it is alkaline based and is dissolved by acids. As baking soda and vinegar react, so do grout and vinegar. Accordingly, it is better to clean grout with an alkaline cleaner (Spic and Span, Mr. Clean, etc.) than an acid based cleaner. https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/39-grout.html#faq37
Shoddy Landmart 2003, there’s a few people on the street who completely ripped out their moldy showers. Bleach only atracks surface mold, I sometimes use peroxide. I did use vinegar and baking soda once but that was to get a clean surface before re-grouting and sealing the tile, ya don’t use that regularly, thanks for correction.

Can happen old or new, comments about Landmart quality by other RFDers here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/landmart-homes-691977/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
AncasterRFD wrote: Shoddy Landmart 2003, there’s a few people on the street who completely ripped out their moldy showers. Bleach only atracks surface mold, I sometimes use peroxide. I did use vinegar and baking soda once but that was to get a clean surface before re-grouting and sealing the tile, ya don’t use that regularly.

Can happen old or new, comments about Landmart quality by other RFDers here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/landmart-homes-691977/
I see that the builder is this reliable, and the house is not that old… You say the problem came from using bleach on the bathroom grout. I say that bleach is alkaline, and alkaline chemicals have no bad effect on the grout, as said by the Tile Council of North America. His problem may came from a bad plumbing system? this can happen, even with the most recommended contractors. Anyway, the purpose of my post was to put real infos from a reliable source like the Tile Council of North America who says that acid products (like vinegar!!) will dissolve a small layer of grout,, there are tile installers that remove very stubborn stains on grout with an acid (like straight vinegar or a stronger acid). There they have elected to dissolve the top layer of grout molecules so the stain is no longer attached to anything. While this works, it is not recommended by the grout manufacturers - needing to regrout is sometimes the result. and using an alkaline product (like bleach, although I do not suggest bleach because it is really irritating for the respiratory system) is the best way to get rid of the dirt. They even suggest to use cloths Removing stains from cementitious grout is similar to removing stains from clothing. The same cleaners you might use on clothes to get out a stain should also work on grout.

Italic and bolded are copied from https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/39-grout.html#faq37 and you should really read it.
Jul 16, 2019
42 posts
41 upvotes
Peterborough
Great catch OP. Can imagine the head honcho looking at his sales figures for the weekend 10,000 bottles of tilex....nice, 10,000 bottles of pledge, ooh really nice. Then he goes to review his emails and voicemails..........WTF!!!!
Mar 13, 2012
45 posts
9 upvotes
EDMONTON
Thank you OP
Picked up 2 in North Edmonton.
The price scanned at regular price ($4.xx) the store attendant had no issues honoring the price on the website.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5485 posts
2762 upvotes
im lost in this back and forth.

so if i have some mold and mildew on the grout and caulking, whats the best solution for cleaning?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
BenK wrote: im lost in this back and forth.

so if i have some mold and mildew on the grout and caulking, whats the best solution for cleaning?
For the grout: https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/39-grout.html#faq37. They suggest Spic and Span, Mr. Clean, they even suggest cloths stainn remover... But no acid cleaner, or no vinegar as some suggested...

For the caulk, if you have no success withany cleaner, I'd suggest to take off old caulk, and re-caulk....
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2909 posts
2565 upvotes
Surrey

Oxygen bleach (ociclean)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario

I took a quick skim through the link and didn’t see anything about mold. Use peroxide, bleach only kills surface mold and we have no idea if there’s a breach in the grout/barrier/plumbing etc, by experience it’s not just old homes. At some point re-grout and seal if you see cracks.
Mar 9, 2013
140 posts
54 upvotes
BC
picked up 2 on Friday and immediately tried out in weekend. I think it is good for maintenance every couple of days, but not powerful enough for stubborn stain. Scrub free with bleach is still the best cleaner IMO.