Toro 721E snowblower (GTA)~ PM at Home Depot for $764

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2022 11:59 am
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2589 posts
629 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
how does the chute direction work? controlled up at the handle or have to reach down and manually readjust ?
Saving money on things I don't need since 2009. thanks RFD

Woodstock, ON
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2618 posts
666 upvotes
Ottawa
A single stage will wreak havoc on a concrete driveway. They leave scuffs and if you have ANY cracks, they will be going for a tour through the chute.

I modified mine by adding suitcase wheels to the front so it sits a quarter inch higher.
Dec 27, 2010
113 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
ah_long wrote: It depends on the model of the single stage that you have. The small ones will definitely struggle.

No issues with the storm with a Toro 721, Honda HS720 and Honda HS621

I had 2 stage blowers before; for typical GTA weather, single stage is better for both storage and speed in which you can operate the machine at. You are limited to the speed on how fast a 2 stage would move while you can go much quicker on more typical snowfall with a quality single stage.
Great point. Me and my wife went out and cleared our driveway with shovels while a neighbour that was already at it with a 2 stage was still outside by the time we came in. Oh, and we have a 6 car driveway and his is a 4 car.
Aug 25, 2021
36 posts
50 upvotes
2kaccordcoupe wrote: Everyone that had a single stage unit in my neighbourhood struggled to clean up after the dumping the GTA got this week.
In contrast a run of the mill nothing special 2 stage was cleaning with relative ease.

I know property size, storage etc are all considerations to make. I'm just providing a first hand point of reference / data point for others to consider.
Have a single-stage Toro 821 QZE. Cleared everything in my 3-car wide x 2-car long driveway with no issues including massive end of driveway dump. Took about 20 minutes.

Ended up doing my 2 adjacent neighbors driveways & plow piles. One has a 2-stage blower but couldn't maneuver it out from behind his cars parked in the garage (couldn't pull out his car due to snow, was struggling to shovel a path to pull out his car to be able to move the blower.) The other has an electric and didnt bother taking it out. Toro 821 totally killed it, very happy I went with single stage. I also bought a 721 qze for my parents a few years ago and they had no issue using it this week to clear all the snow in one go.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1267 posts
704 upvotes
My 2 stage Sno-Tek has no issues with fresh snow, so I'm assuming all snowblowers will do fine. I did not baby it and still going strong after a few years of use. However the plow pile at the end of the driveway, depending on the conditions, was always an issue. Especially if it heavy snow with lots of ice chunks.
So yeah, depending on the size of the driveway a 2 stage might be a better choice and can be found for the same price. Obviously not a Toro/Ariens but still...
Hindsight, should have gotten a higher end one given how much I used it, but it was a good deal and a decent machine
Last edited by govas19 on Jan 21st, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 19, 2015
275 posts
231 upvotes
Ajax, ON
2kaccordcoupe wrote: Everyone that had a single stage unit in my neighbourhood struggled to clean up after the dumping the GTA got this week.
In contrast a run of the mill nothing special 2 stage was cleaning with relative ease.

I know property size, storage etc are all considerations to make. I'm just providing a first hand point of reference / data point for others to consider.
My toro 721QZR did an amazing job. For size of storage, id never use 2 stage, too big!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4121 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
I have the Toro Powermax 724 and it struggled a bit during the big one earlier this week in Toronto!

Kinda off topic, but it's been backfiring sometimes. Any suggestions to fix that?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16209 posts
4631 upvotes
Toronto
Just make sure you use non ethanol fuel as this can cause issues to the system otherwise:

Choose the right fuel for your snow blower. For best starting results use Non-ethanol fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2959 posts
699 upvotes
AtlsNBP wrote: A single stage will wreak havoc on a concrete driveway. They leave scuffs and if you have ANY cracks, they will be going for a tour through the chute.

I modified mine by adding suitcase wheels to the front so it sits a quarter inch higher.
You have a pic of the suitcase wheels setup, so I can possibly look into doing same, thx
Jun 21, 2009
321 posts
306 upvotes
ah_long wrote: It depends on the model of the single stage that you have. The small ones will definitely struggle.

No issues with the storm with a Toro 721, Honda HS720 and Honda HS621

I had 2 stage blowers before; for typical GTA weather, single stage is better for both storage and speed in which you can operate the machine at. You are limited to the speed on how fast a 2 stage would move while you can go much quicker on more typical snowfall with a quality single stage.
Zero issues with my Honda HS720 single stage at home. My HSS928 which I keep at the cottage would laugh at the 50 cm we got in the city

Last edited by blue dragon on Jan 21st, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2183 posts
569 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote: I have the Toro Powermax 724 and it struggled a bit during the big one earlier this week in Toronto!

Kinda off topic, but it's been backfiring sometimes. Any suggestions to fix that?
Hav you changed the oil or looked at the spark plug? If no, I'd look into changing the oil, also pull the spark plug and give it a blast with contact cleaner.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1466 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto
vr_nguyen wrote: Best investment ever. I do not regret buying this... I only regret not buying it sooner.
On the flip side, does anyone regret buying a snowblower?

I'm on the fence about it due to:
-the inevitable maintenance of it (gas, oil, starter)
-space it takes up in the garage 98% of the time when its not being used
-and what to do if it stops working 1 day (its not like I can lift it and put it in my sedan to bring to a repair shop)
Oct 23, 2014
493 posts
373 upvotes
Laval, QC
foxtrot1 wrote: Great point. Me and my wife went out and cleared our driveway with shovels while a neighbour that was already at it with a 2 stage was still outside by the time we came in. Oh, and we have a 6 car driveway and his is a 4 car.
i dont know what kind of snow blower this guy is using(or how he is using it) ,but if he is not done before manually shoveling a driveway with a good amount of snow on it , something is wrong..
I could clear my driveway (4 car) with 20 cm of snow in around 10 minutes..
Nov 7, 2005
687 posts
439 upvotes
Winnipeg
hightech wrote: Just make sure you use non ethanol fuel as this can cause issues to the system otherwise:

Choose the right fuel for your snow blower. For best starting results use Non-ethanol fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher.
I don't know where to get non-ethanol gas any more. Shell used to be my goto, but they've started using ethanol in their premium too! :(
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3555 posts
3109 upvotes
GTA
dacrusher wrote: I don't know where to get non-ethanol gas any more. Shell used to be my goto, but they've started using ethanol in their premium too! :(
I believe Esso 91 octane is ethanol free (at least it used to be).

Local Petro Canada station near me has Ultra 94 and I use that.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2618 posts
666 upvotes
Ottawa
rogerrabbit168 wrote: You have a pic of the suitcase wheels setup, so I can possibly look into doing same, thx
I got the idea from:

Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3617 upvotes
West GTEH!
skyrink wrote: On the flip side, does anyone regret buying a snowblower?

-and what to do if it stops working 1 day (its not like I can lift it and put it in my sedan to bring to a repair shop)
I had the same thoughts/questions(?)

Here's my opinion owning a Toro 721R SS SB:
- For all Motorized Equipment (Lawnmowers, SB, your vehicles,etc), there will ALWAYS be maintenance. (oil change, spark plugs, etc) Part of ownership.
- You have to store it somewhere. Again, part of owning a SB.
- If you maintain it, then you shouldn't have to worry about this. At the end of Winter Season I make sure to burn off all the Gas. Before the Next Winter Season, check the Spark Plug, maybe change the oil, do a qiuck look-over of the SB, etc)

I've owned my SB for 5 years now and as vr_nguyen wrote, I should've bought it sooner. For me it's a backsaver. ( I've had a Back Sports injury for over 20 Years)
Last edited by Webhead on Jan 21st, 2022 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3617 upvotes
West GTEH!
dacrusher wrote: I don't know where to get non-ethanol gas any more. Shell used to be my goto, but they've started using ethanol in their premium too! :(
I use Costco 91 Gas and it's worked well for my Toro SB.
😎
Mar 22, 2017
85 posts
100 upvotes
I'm a total noob when it comes to snowblowers - can anyone comment on how an electric snowblower would stack up to this one? And if it can handle dumps like the one we just got? Really tempted to get this, but want to reduce the carbon footprint and not need to worry about maintenance
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2183 posts
569 upvotes
skyrink wrote: On the flip side, does anyone regret buying a snowblower?

I'd prefer an electric for the points mentioned, but when I bought my single stage battery powered ones we're powerful enough. I'm not going to toss my gas blower now though. I fill one 6L jerry gas of premium once a year and it handles my lawn mower and snow blower.

If you get a good brand, like Toro or Honda, its hard to kill the engines. My mower is a sears mower with a Honda engine, it must be at least 30 years old.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?