Home Depot

Toro 721E snowblower (GTA)~ PM at Home Depot for $764

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2022 11:59 am
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1215 posts
434 upvotes
naimc wrote: FYI, that old spark plug indicates something wrong / off with your engine. It should not look like that after only one season. Looks like it's heavily coated in carbon and oil , carb is too rich or oil is getting in the combustion chamber. ( I would pull out the new one you put after if it got a few hours of runtime and look at it again. and check your oil level more often perhaps. )

For reference i just pulled the plug on my 721RC it must at least 6 years , notice that its dry and not covered in a wet oil gum.

vs your plug

From my understanding, and the pictures you've shown, it appears you have the wrong size spark plug - it's much longer (more thread) than the spark plug referenced in manual. Better double check.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Jan 21, 2021
184 posts
231 upvotes
I was outside during the GTA dump with the Greenworks 22" 80v Costco model ($649 on sale) and my two neighbors used gas. Sure, I had to charge my battery 3 times, but theirs were way louder and had a very strong gas/exhaust smell. Again, it's the once in every 25 year snowfall that we all have to keep in mind.
Jun 4, 2021
12 posts
9 upvotes
MustaciousFlavour wrote: I'm a total noob when it comes to snowblowers - can anyone comment on how an electric snowblower would stack up to this one? And if it can handle dumps like the one we just got? Really tempted to get this, but want to reduce the carbon footprint and not need to worry about maintenance
I have the toro E21 60v electric and it handled the snow we got in the GTA on Monday pretty easily. I can't say how long the battery or machine will last since I just bought it in November. I don't want to deal with maintenance, so that's why I went with electric. Plus I have the 60v lawn mower and trimmer and they all use the same battery.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16690 posts
11419 upvotes
Markham
2kaccordcoupe wrote: Everyone that had a single stage unit in my neighbourhood struggled to clean up after the dumping the GTA got this week.
In contrast a run of the mill nothing special 2 stage was cleaning with relative ease.

I know property size, storage etc are all considerations to make. I'm just providing a first hand point of reference / data point for others to consider.
You might be thinking of those snow brooms not the single stage Toro like the one the OP is posting.

Many ppl on here including myself have a single stage like the one posted and it didn't struggle. In fact my neighbour has a snow cleaning service and they have two or three single stage machines like this and they have no issues.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16220 posts
4647 upvotes
Toronto
dacrusher wrote: I don't know where to get non-ethanol gas any more. Shell used to be my goto, but they've started using ethanol in their premium too! :(
This site might be helpful: https://www.pure-gas.org/
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16690 posts
11419 upvotes
Markham
hightech wrote: This site might be helpful: https://www.pure-gas.org/
There's a snow blower thread in Home and Garden forum and someone mentioned Trufuel which I never heard or knew about. It is a fair amount more expensive than gas [$10/litre or $30/3.25litre] obviously but considering we don't get much snow and so don't use our snow blowers much, it's worth it IMO. No need to source ethanol free gas and no need to recycle older fuel - this has a 2 yr shelf life once opened.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/truf ... s#store=87

TruFuel Premixed Gas & Oil for 2-Cycle Engines is premixed 50:1 [there's also 40:1 mix] and contains no ethanol, which extends the life of rubber and plastic components
Premium fuel for high end brands like Husqvama, Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, Ryobi and Maruyama
Synthetic oil eliminates plug fouling, smoke, and provides advanced lubrication
Acts as a fuel stabilizer for fresh fuel every time, and a water dispersant
Has a 2 year shelf life once opened
Great for use in 2-cycle gas leaf blowers, chainsaws or grass trimmers

Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7167 posts
3631 upvotes
West GTEH!
gr8dlr wrote: There's a snow blower thread in Home and Garden forum and someone mentioned Trufuel which I never heard or knew about. It is a fair amount more expensive than gas [$10/litre or $30/3.25litre] obviously but considering we don't get much snow and so don't use our snow blowers much, it's worth it IMO. No need to source ethanol free gas and no need to recycle older fuel - this has a 2 yr shelf life once opened.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/truf ... s#store=87

TruFuel Premixed Gas & Oil for 2-Cycle Engines is premixed 50:1 [there's also 40:1 mix] and contains no ethanol, which extends the life of rubber and plastic components
Premium fuel for high end brands like Husqvama, Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, Ryobi and Maruyama
Synthetic oil eliminates plug fouling, smoke, and provides advanced lubrication
Acts as a fuel stabilizer for fresh fuel every time, and a water dispersant
Has a 2 year shelf life once opened
Great for use in 2-cycle gas leaf blowers, chainsaws or grass trimmers
Good find for older 2-Cycle SB.

I think most newer Single Stage SB are 4-cycle.
😎
May 28, 2004
819 posts
125 upvotes
Milton
Nope

- for mine I put gas in it. I often forget to burn it off. I've had it serviced once in 5 years.
- yes, it takes room, but a single stage is generally smaller than other options, so its at least a good compact size. Some fold over to reduce room, but yea, this is legit
- Many repair shops will come to you/offer a pickup service. The place I got it done picked it up from my driveway and then dropped it off and put in my garage 2 days later when they were done (changed my garage code for the day and it was safe inside when I came home)
skyrink wrote: On the flip side, does anyone regret buying a snowblower?

I'm on the fence about it due to:
-the inevitable maintenance of it (gas, oil, starter)
-space it takes up in the garage 98% of the time when its not being used
-and what to do if it stops working 1 day (its not like I can lift it and put it in my sedan to bring to a repair shop)
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
5157 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
I used an electric snow blower to help clear my driveway and it worked out pretty well. It took a bit more time because i bought a weaker underpowered one for $130 on sale. Regardless, it did the job well. Man I was so happy with it, since it completely beats out shoveling. This was the first time I used a snow blower too.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2962 posts
700 upvotes
AtlsNBP wrote: I got the idea from:

cool, thanks. I will look into that, got a few beat up luggage lying around the house also.
Oct 19, 2006
619 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Are these things even worth it? I mean I had a decent size driveway, i was able to clear my driveway with my Sled Shuffle and Regular one, while my neighbors were trying to restart their Toro snowblower over and over again
May 27, 2007
15992 posts
4082 upvotes
Toronto
Was waiting for a Ryobi 40V to go on sale.. but this Toro is tempting. Too bad no stock in the GTA.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
5157 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
DeepFriedTofu wrote: I have the toro E21 60v electric and it handled the snow we got in the GTA on Monday pretty easily. I can't say how long the battery or machine will last since I just bought it in November. I don't want to deal with maintenance, so that's why I went with electric. Plus I have the 60v lawn mower and trimmer and they all use the same battery.
Mine is a weaker corded one. It just took a bit more time but it got the job done and done well too. But I wouldn't recommend my snow blower to those who are old, frail and or weak. Mainly because you kind of need to be a bit forceful and spend more time out in the cold.
Nov 5, 2018
556 posts
643 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Good find for older 2-Cycle SB.

I think most newer Single Stage SB are 4-cycle.
TruFuel and other non-gasoline fuels come in pre-mix and straight varieties. Most stores will carry both. There are a number of brands available, TruFuel, Aspen, Stihl and Husqvarna are common, and I think Princess Auto carries VP.
Nov 5, 2018
556 posts
643 upvotes
skyrink wrote: On the flip side, does anyone regret buying a snowblower?

I'm on the fence about it due to:
-the inevitable maintenance of it (gas, oil, starter)
-space it takes up in the garage 98% of the time when its not being used
-and what to do if it stops working 1 day (its not like I can lift it and put it in my sedan to bring to a repair shop)
The 18inch single-stage Toro units solve many of these problems. They require little maintenance if treated well, such as emptying the fuel at the end of the season. They're the smallest units you can get that still have the power to be useful, and the handles fold down easily. Finally, they're light enough to be picked up by one or two people, and will fit in a trunk (the lid might not close, but with the handle folded it fits in my hatchback).
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16690 posts
11419 upvotes
Markham
bb320 wrote: Are these things even worth it? I mean I had a decent size driveway, i was able to clear my driveway with my Sled Shuffle and Regular one, while my neighbors were trying to restart their Toro snowblower over and over again
I bought my single stage snow blower almost 20 yrs ago when I bought my current house with a bigger driveway [4 car].

The way I looked at it - this is gonna last the rest of my life [20 yrs and still going] if I somewhat take care of it and this is gonna save my back and body on those bad snow days. FYI Back in the day, there was a lot more snow than we've been getting now. If you've ever injured your back shovelling snow, this money is worth it.

I have a snow sleigh as well for days where we get sub 6" or if the snow is light. Snow falls of 6" can also be hard even for the sleigh if it's heavy wetter snow.

Jul 23, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
100% worth it. I have had this model for a year now. I was able to clear all of the snow this past week, and also the snow that got pushed onto my driveway from the city’s snow plow. Took a few turns but it was easy and convenient.

All my neighbours had a gas snowblower, and they didn’t have gas on hand when the snow hit this past week. While gas is likely more powerful, the electric version is so much more convenient
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7167 posts
3631 upvotes
West GTEH!
gr8dlr wrote: I bought my single stage snow blower almost 20 yrs ago when I bought my current house with a bigger driveway [4 car].

The way I looked at it - this is gonna last the rest of my life [20 yrs and still going] if I somewhat take care of it and this is gonna save my back and body on those bad snow days. FYI Back in the day, there was a lot more snow than we've been getting now. If you've ever injured your back shovelling snow, this money is worth it.

I have a snow sleigh as well for days where we get sub 6" or if the snow is light. Snow falls of 6" can also be hard even for the sleigh if it's heavy wetter snow.
So True. Definitely a Back-Saver (Thought I'd save some $$ and do it the old-fashion way with a manual snow shovel. What was I thinking).

I should've bought my Toro SB sooner, than Later. I can't believe I survived all those Years without a SB and having to deal with the sore muscles/pain.
Now I can't do without my Toro SB.

As someone said to me: Work Smart, not Work Hard.
😎
Jun 7, 2007
837 posts
380 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Catenary wrote: TruFuel and other non-gasoline fuels come in pre-mix and straight varieties. Most stores will carry both. There are a number of brands available, TruFuel, Aspen, Stihl and Husqvarna are common, and I think Princess Auto carries VP.
My parents' old hand me down Toro single stage use Aspen 2 Fuel (it's a 2 cycle so uses 50:1 mix). Bought it at local power equipment shop. When it was handed down it didn't work, had to clean up carburetor and when used old gas it was spewing terrible white smoke. After adding Aspen fuel it was clean and starts easily. I'm assuming all the other non-gasoline fuel work in the same sense. Good thing about these is you can leave the fuel in there for the season and it will still work well and not gunk up the carburetor.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2461 posts
1997 upvotes
GTA West
2kaccordcoupe wrote: Everyone that had a single stage unit in my neighbourhood struggled to clean up after the dumping the GTA got this week.
In contrast a run of the mill nothing special 2 stage was cleaning with relative ease.

I know property size, storage etc are all considerations to make. I'm just providing a first hand point of reference / data point for others to consider.
Actually, I had no problem and if anything I was able to work a little faster than my 2 stage neighbours, in my double driveway, because it is so agile. And it seems to throw the snow a bit farther. I even got the windrow cleared with it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)