Toro 721E snowblower (GTA)~ PM at Home Depot for $764

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2022 11:59 am
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2465 posts
2001 upvotes
GTA West
Nice one, except that I want the chute rotation control up on the handle, when I get my next Toro.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2465 posts
2001 upvotes
GTA West
gr8dlr wrote: There's a snow blower thread in Home and Garden forum and someone mentioned Trufuel which I never heard or knew about. It is a fair amount more expensive than gas [$10/litre or $30/3.25litre] obviously but considering we don't get much snow and so don't use our snow blowers much, it's worth it IMO. No need to source ethanol free gas and no need to recycle older fuel - this has a 2 yr shelf life once opened.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/truf ... s#store=87

TruFuel Premixed Gas & Oil for 2-Cycle Engines is premixed 50:1 [there's also 40:1 mix] and contains no ethanol, which extends the life of rubber and plastic components
Premium fuel for high end brands like Husqvama, Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, Ryobi and Maruyama
Synthetic oil eliminates plug fouling, smoke, and provides advanced lubrication
Acts as a fuel stabilizer for fresh fuel every time, and a water dispersant
Has a 2 year shelf life once opened
Great for use in 2-cycle gas leaf blowers, chainsaws or grass trimmers
That is all I use now, since 3 or 4 years ago. Expensive, but trouble free and saves all the hassle of keeping a gas can with mix. A small luxury when we don't get much snow.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2465 posts
2001 upvotes
GTA West
AtlsNBP wrote: A single stage will wreak havoc on a concrete driveway. They leave scuffs and if you have ANY cracks, they will be going for a tour through the chute.

I modified mine by adding suitcase wheels to the front so it sits a quarter inch higher.
On the other hand, the rubber paddles will leave a very clean surface if it is smooth. I have big cracks but no loose asphalt, so the paddle bumps over it but doesn't throw any paving. But a colleague was complaining about scuffs on his concrete walkway too, after his worn paddle was replaced, which I never experienced on my own sidewalk. I wonder if people are using cheap aftermarket paddles that cause this?
Nov 11, 2003
458 posts
125 upvotes
Scarb
Been using Aspen fuel the past few years. No issues storing. Have had our Toro 621QZ for 6 years, first few years I used ethanol free gas (yay Shell), ran the snowblower empty end of season, also added fuel stabilizer before hand and we would run into startup issues the next season. Ran on choke but shutdown without so had to take apart and clean carb, etc. With Aspen, it starts fine next winter.

Our Toro handled the Monday snowstorm well, some effort was required to take care of the 1m+ high windrow mess, thanks city, but it would have taken way more without it.

Would definitely recommend this snowblower (although mine has the chute control on handle).
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2935 posts
879 upvotes
Scarborough
dacrusher wrote: I don't know where to get non-ethanol gas any more. Shell used to be my goto, but they've started using ethanol in their premium too! :(
WHAT?
Care to share a link? Search didn't show up...TIA

Many replies here to a whambulance post...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1323 posts
467 upvotes
skyrink wrote: On the flip side, does anyone regret buying a snowblower?

I'm on the fence about it due to:
-the inevitable maintenance of it (gas, oil, starter)
-space it takes up in the garage 98% of the time when its not being used
-and what to do if it stops working 1 day (its not like I can lift it and put it in my sedan to bring to a repair shop)
I don't regret it. I have had a Toro 721E for 6 years. At the beginning of a season it might take 3-4 pulls to start the engine but after that it always starts with one pull. It can handle the windrow although a bit slowly. Breaking up the windrow with a shovel first helps.

Maintenance: Did 2 oil changes; checked spark plug once; added fuel stabilizer to regular gas (with ethanol); used up all gas at end of season.
Storage: It lives in the garage in winter and sleeps in the backyard shed rest of the year (swapping places with mower).
Repair: Never needed any.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Jan 6, 2008
332 posts
145 upvotes
ontario
I have moved away from gas everything, last being selling my 31" 11hp Craftsman 2-stage for a Toro e21 60v battery single stage a few months ago. I was going to wait for their new 2-stage electric, but glad I did not spend $2400 for one of those. Best move I made. No more fuel, no more oil changes every year, grease gun, cleaning carb. etc.

We received 45-50 cm here in Ottawa with that last storm, and my Toro handled that dump like a champ. I did in two passes....about half way through the storm and then again when snow was basically done. Would probably have done the same with my gas blower. Handled the pile from the plow without issue. Sure my Craftsman might have been a bit faster with the wider opening, and might have more easily chewed through the mountain at the end of the driveway, but no where near enough of an advantage to make me want to go back. Super small footprint in my garage compared to my 2 stage. This thing is so light it's not funny. I so easily placed it in the back of the truck and took to my son's who was away to clean his snow. And I can easily lift to store on my hanging 4x8' shelf up in my garage. Easy peasy.

The only thing I miss is not having the chute tilt adjustment at the push handle. I have to go to the side and adjust the tilt on the chute itself, but I have already gotten used to it. Not a deal breaker.

I bet most could easily get away with single stage, whether battery or gas.
May 28, 2004
819 posts
125 upvotes
Milton
Where do you source the Aspen ?
I want the 4 cycle version.
25jai wrote: My parents' old hand me down Toro single stage use Aspen 2 Fuel (it's a 2 cycle so uses 50:1 mix). Bought it at local power equipment shop. When it was handed down it didn't work, had to clean up carburetor and when used old gas it was spewing terrible white smoke. After adding Aspen fuel it was clean and starts easily. I'm assuming all the other non-gasoline fuel work in the same sense. Good thing about these is you can leave the fuel in there for the season and it will still work well and not gunk up the carburetor.
Oct 9, 2019
314 posts
203 upvotes
I bought $64 snowjoe wired snow blower in 2019 when this toro was for 500$. Snow Joe is still working but it’s painful with the wire carrying and was absolute disaster for the winter storm earlier this week.
Will wait for the toro to go on sale again. Hopefully will not have a similar storm again this year.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2003
1300 posts
141 upvotes
luck11 wrote: I have moved away from gas everything, last being selling my 31" 11hp Craftsman 2-stage for a Toro e21 60v battery single stage a few months ago. I was going to wait for their new 2-stage electric, but glad I did not spend $2400 for one of those. Best move I made. No more fuel, no more oil changes every year, grease gun, cleaning carb. etc.
The only hesitation I have with an electric snowblower is 10 years down the road the manufacturer stops producing the battery model at the time you need to replace it. I think this is my sole hesitation to go electric and the sb becomes another piece to add to the trash problem. Is this a legitimate concern?
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22036 posts
691 upvotes
Newmarket
NoFrillBill wrote: I was able to plow through mine and a few of my neighbors driveways no problem with a Toro 221QE blower. It was my 1st time using it since Xmas Eve 4 or 5 years ago to boot.
Same here.
Can’t justify any more of a machine for how little it gets used and how much it sits.
Worse comes to worse, I’ll just do 1 pass halfway through the storm and another when it’s over,
Love the lightweight and manoeuvre ability of a single stage, having owned both.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4992 posts
2614 upvotes
GTA
drey wrote: The only hesitation I have with an electric snowblower is 10 years down the road the manufacturer stops producing the battery model at the time you need to replace it. I think this is my sole hesitation to go electric and the sb becomes another piece to add to the trash problem. Is this a legitimate concern?
It can be a concern but these batteries can also be fixed, its just 18650 cells inside and those you can easily find. Tearing the battery apart and replacing the cells takes some skill and knowledge but can be done.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22036 posts
691 upvotes
Newmarket
gr8dlr wrote: There's a snow blower thread in Home and Garden forum and someone mentioned Trufuel which I never heard or knew about. It is a fair amount more expensive than gas [$10/litre or $30/3.25litre] obviously but considering we don't get much snow and so don't use our snow blowers much, it's worth it IMO. No need to source ethanol free gas and no need to recycle older fuel - this has a 2 yr shelf life once opened.

TruFuel Premixed Gas & Oil for 2-Cycle Engines is premixed 50:1 [there's also 40:1 mix] and contains no ethanol, which extends the life of rubber and plastic components
Premium fuel for high end brands like Husqvama, Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, Ryobi and Maruyama
My small engine mechanic recommends that stuff, esp for storage.
Apr 2, 2009
307 posts
352 upvotes
vancouver
drey wrote: The only hesitation I have with an electric snowblower is 10 years down the road the manufacturer stops producing the battery model at the time you need to replace it. I think this is my sole hesitation to go electric and the sb becomes another piece to add to the trash problem. Is this a legitimate concern?
I think this was a valid concern 10-15 years ago when there were competing battery technologies. Never say never, but I think we've reached the point where battery technology is peaking and manufacturers seem to be making tools backwards-compatible so new battery tech can be used on older tools (Ridgid Octane/Max for example). The caveat being whether the manufacturer will be around in another 10 years. I recently bought the Toro 39901 after a lot of research both on the machine and the battery - Toro is in the game for the long haul, whereas with EGO and Greenworks I have no certainty they'll be here despite positive reviews on their current design and quality. I'm fairly confident in my purchase knowing Toro will support their product long-term, both for the battery and replacement parts.

I don't have a lot of experience with snowblowers, but I've been thoroughly impressed with my 60v e21. Been a champ both in deep snow, ice chunk filled windrows, and slush.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3300 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto

The new Toros like 721/514 don't need mixed gas anymore; just straight gas. Can you still use it in them and not cause any harm?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16727 posts
11468 upvotes
Markham
GSXXRR wrote: The new Toros like 721/514 don't need mixed gas anymore; just straight gas. Can you still use it in them and not cause any harm?
Think you have a 4 cycle model. You can use the stuff I posted in post #90 which is also available at Cdn Tire for more $.

C&P from the website

VP's 94 octane 4-Cycle Small Engine Fuel is ethanol-free and formulated with higher-grade base stocks and components. Therefore, it keeps your fuel systems protected, maximizes performance, and extends the engine life of your outdoor power equipment. It also provides for both easier and more dependable starts while giving your 4-cycle small engine exactly what it needs to operate consistently at peak performance. Best yet, it helps you avoid costly repairs and rebuilds of your outdoor power equipment that result from ethanol-blended pump gas.

Our 4-cycle VP Small Engine Fuel contains no oil. It passes the warranty requirements of all 4-cycle engine manufacturers, including Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda, and many more.

Dump The Pump
If you're using pump gas to power the 4-cycle engine in your lawnmower, generator, pressure washer, or other outdoor power equipment - STOP! You're slowly killing your equipment. You might believe that if pump gas is good enough for your vehicle, it should be perfectly fine for, say, your lawnmower. In reality, this is not the case. The big issue is ethanol, which is an oxygenate additive. Ethanol is fine for cars and trucks, but not for small engines. For one thing, ethanol absorbs water, which promotes corrosion. Corrosion eats away at the vital components of your expensive outdoor power equipment. Before you know it, you're spending hundreds of dollars to get a small engine rebuilt, or perhaps thousands of dollars to buy new equipment.

Moreover, pump gas degrades very quickly and forms gums and varnish faster. Subsequently, you can't store it long-term unless you spend more money on a fuel stabilizer. Keep in mind that while fuel stabilizers do help to a degree, they can't undo any damage already caused by pump gas; the genie is already out of the bottle.

As a result, a 4 cycle engine in outdoor power equipment should ONLY use a specifically designed, high-quality fuel.

If you've been using pump gas and your lawn mower won't start (or any other piece of outdoor power equipment), learn how VP Fix-It-Fuel will easily fix it for you.

Advantages Of VP 4-Cycle Small Engine Fuel
Made by the fuel experts at VP. We make fuel. That's what we do! Power equipment manufacturers who offer small engine fuel make....power equipment
Ethanol-free - prevents ethanol-related corrosion problems and issues that fuel stabilizers can't fix
Provides easier and more reliable starts, burns cleaner, and helps extend the life of your outdoor power equipment
Remains stable 2 years in the tank and 5 years in the sealed container
Protects fuel systems and saves carburetors - no gummy deposits or varnish
Eliminates the need for and cost of adding fuel stabilizers
Contains no extra additives - just what is needed. No more and no less.
We should also mention that if you purchase the one-gallon container of our 4-Cycle Small Engine Fuel, you actually get a full gallon (128 oz.). Well, duh, right? Have you ever checked 4-cycle fuel from the competitors? Take a close look at their gallon container and you'll see right on the label that it contains...110 ounces! That's right, not even a full gallon. Now you know why competing brands seem to be a little less expensive.

In addition, we highly recommend either our 4-Cycle SAE 30wt Small Engine Oil or 4-Cycle SAE 30 / 10W30 Full Synthetic Small Engine Oil. We formulate both for use in outdoor power equipment. Consequently, you get industry-leading performance, unmatched lubrication, and maximum protection for the vital components of your equipment.

Keep that 4-cycle engine in your outdoor power equipment running smoothly and efficiently with VP 4-Cycle Small Engine Fuel.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7173 posts
3634 upvotes
West GTEH!
Dealfiber wrote: I bought $64 snowjoe wired snow blower in 2019 when this toro was for 500$. Snow Joe is still working but it’s painful with the wire carrying and was absolute disaster for the winter storm earlier this week.
Will wait for the toro to go on sale again. Hopefully will not have a similar storm again this year.
Unfortunately, ANY corded SB would've had a tough time with the recent GTA Blizzard.
These corded SB weren't designed for 35cm+ snow.

I bought my 721R and glad I did 5 years ago. After manually shovelling the snow all those years before. A real Backsaver (for me) and money well spent even if I only use it a few times during the Winter.
😎
Aug 21, 2005
422 posts
347 upvotes
North York, ON
Damn, was thinking of getting this but there's basically no stock in southern Ontario outside Kitchener/Waterloo/Woodstock.
Looks like I'll have to wait for another sale.