• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 9:04 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2725 posts
3499 upvotes
Edmonton
najibs wrote: So that's all I need to do for a toilet in a basement that doesn't work well? I moved into my house abotu 3 year ago and the toilet in the basement only gets used for #1's because it's not really powerful enough for #2's. So, we hardly use the basement bathroom. It's a house form the 70's. Will buying this toilet fix that issue or is it a plumbing problem? I've tried drano and all that stuff and nothing has made it better.
Hard to know for sure if without checking the lines but if the toilet is bad this should fix it.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1551 posts
2857 upvotes
Markham
Apparently it's completely out of stock at HD, supplier isn't manufacturing it anymore. (It's showing out of stock for elongated, and the round one still seems like you can buy, but it won't actually ship)

A really good price, will probably end up going to Home Comfort Center for it.
Feb 9, 2007
10 posts
3 upvotes
Great customer service at plumbingonline.ca. I purchased three Toto toilets in 2017. I didn't realize one was broken until I opened the boxes, a month after they'd been delivered. The company shipped a new toilet the day after I sent pictures of the broken one.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2785 posts
1801 upvotes
Toronto
etrex wrote: any good toilet that is of low maintenance? i just hate always have to change the handle or the rubber seal after a few years
The one we're discussing is great. 6 years and no maintenance. That being said, I have two Kohler Bancroft toilets in my house, and 10 years later haven't replaced any parts.

So I don't know what sort of toilets you've been buying, but I'd stop buying them.
Oct 1, 2018
118 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
My Toto has been living up to expectations the past few years. Only issue was had to replace the flapper twice the past 4 years. Always thought they should have longer lifespans
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4476 posts
5293 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Blubbs wrote: For a basement toilet without much gravity to help out I was very happy to find this.
You experience different gravity between your basement and other floors?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4476 posts
5293 upvotes
Toronto, ON
torontotim wrote: The one we're discussing is great. 6 years and no maintenance. That being said, I have two Kohler Bancroft toilets in my house, and 10 years later haven't replaced any parts.

So I don't know what sort of toilets you've been buying, but I'd stop buying them.
The problem may be the user also.. flapper is pretty normal replacement part, but handle?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2725 posts
3499 upvotes
Edmonton
er34er34 wrote: You experience different gravity between your basement and other floors?
Have you ever jackhammered a basement slab before? The drains run sideways at a very small pitch until they reach the main sewer out.

On the second level, my poo gets to fall down a two story pipe through a utility wall.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4476 posts
5293 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Blubbs wrote: Have you ever jackhammered a basement slab before? The drains run sideways at a very small pitch until they reach the main sewer out.

On the second level, my poo gets to fall down a two story pipe through a utility wall.
The point is - the experienced gravity is the same 1g. And further, this toilet won't make the poop travel any faster in said plumbing because as it's still just a regular siphon jet toilet. You may have a point if this were a pressure-assisted toilet, which it isn't.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1176 posts
206 upvotes
Yes, toilets are science we don't think about much. I did my research back in the day and went with 3 EAGOs.
We would generally plug up one particular toilet on a weekly or biweekly basis. Now probably once in six months.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2725 posts
3499 upvotes
Edmonton
er34er34 wrote: The point is - the experienced gravity is the same 1g. And further, this toilet won't make the poop travel any faster in said plumbing because as it's still just a regular siphon jet toilet. You may have a point if this were a pressure-assisted toilet, which it isn't.
No, your point is that gravity is 1g. My point is, go do some high school force diagrams to see how gravity affects acceleration and velocity in a freefall vs on a grade of 1/8" per foot.

I can't believe I'm debating poo physics on RFD.

It flushes better than most toilets with more ability to clear mass in independent testing, therefore it will be pushing things down the pipes better. This isn't rocket science. It's poo science.
Aug 26, 2010
948 posts
207 upvotes
Brampton
good price but I prefer the 1 piece toto's like the Ultramax II. The lowest I see them go for is $400 all in on kijiji wholesale sellers.
Only have to clean them like once a month with soap/vinegar mix.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4379 posts
955 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: It's a Toto. Between the brand name and how anal (haha) Japanese are about making a quality product, this thing is a steal. Kohler isn't even in the same ballpark; sorry you paid for a Kohler.
Have to disagree with you. We've got both Toto (Drake 2) and Kohler (Elmbrook) and I have to say I prefer the Kohler. I think it has a better, stronger and quieter flush.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

geminixl