Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Triple Mix $2.47

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2016 1:57 am
Tags:
Jun 7, 2013
448 posts
353 upvotes
KANATA

[Home Depot] Triple Mix $2.47

Big thread on this when it went to 1.79 in 2010:
hd-vigoro-triple-mix-weed-free-28l-1-79-a-1477595/

Best deal I've see so far and I'm going to need it soon to lightly cover new grass seed.

Inflation...dollar...this price looks very appealing for something with compost, peat and humus AND "weed free".
88 replies
Jun 7, 2013
448 posts
353 upvotes
KANATA
Canadian tire comparable by circle-h-farms (3.99 - no sale):
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/outdoor-l ... 4507p.html
Canadian tire comparable by CIL (4.99 - no sale):
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/outdoor-l ... 4596p.html
Lowes comparable by Premier (3.99 - no sale):
https://www.lowes.ca/potting-mix/premie ... 01354.html
Rona comparable by Vitanium (4.99 - no sale):
http://www.rona.ca/en/soil---3-in-1-soil
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2984 posts
2445 upvotes
Mississauga
Haha I was just looking into this. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be picking some up on Wednesday
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1306 posts
1543 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fyi so this works out to 83 bucks for a cubic yard, which is actually expensive compared to bulk delivery. Guess if you need a few bags its okay

I ordered 8 cubic yards delivery all in can range from 250 to 285 depending on your location from Miller Compost on Bloomington. In comparison if I was to bring this home I would be paying 750
Nov 11, 2004
140 posts
32 upvotes
Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with 8 cu yards? Resodding?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
OP thanked.

Is this good for potting? I have a lot of flower pots that I re-pot by spring. Have been using top-soil/black earth in the past and doused with Miracle-gro in the beginning.

sirxterminator wrote: fyi so this works out to 83 bucks for a cubic yard, which is actually expensive compared to bulk delivery. Guess if you need a few bags its okay.
I ordered 8 cubic yards delivery all in can range from 250 to 285 depending on your location from Miller Compost on Bloomington. In comparison if I was to bring this home I would be paying 750
I'm like 5 minutes from a dude on Danforth Road who adamantly wants about $65-75 delivery. Can't remember if it's per yard or. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
Samwfive wrote: OP thanked.

Is this good for potting? I have a lot of flower pots that I re-pot by spring. Have been using top-soil/black earth in the past and doused with Miracle-gro in the beginning.
Uhhh no, this is not that good for repotting. With using triple mix (or soil of any kind) you are going to have drainage problems (and weight issues) in your pots. Unless you are very careful with your watering regime and have addressed the drainage issue, you will probably have less than optimal plantings.

What you want to look for is a potting mix kind of thing, very high in peat moss, quite a bit of compost, some drainage aids and minimal humus. You can make you own - if you are so inclined - I use 65% peat moss, 35% well rotted compost and set up a drainage aid in the bottom of the pot. But, I plant some very large pots
Sep 24, 2008
756 posts
355 upvotes
Oakville
Is triple mix good for top dressing a lawn? Or should I use compost instead?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
clementma wrote: Is triple mix good for top dressing a lawn? Or should I use compost instead?
I think the 99 cent /20L bag of topsoil is more appropriate.
Dec 26, 2007
604 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
if you live near garden centre (on lougheed highway, burnaby), they have $5 per 40L bag, or buy 5 bags for $20, soil is fresh and many choices (you can mix and match). I got some manure and the stuff is good.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
clementma wrote: Is triple mix good for top dressing a lawn? Or should I use compost instead?
Either is good - but it shouldn't be deeper than 1/4 - 1/2 an inch
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2727 posts
419 upvotes
Nepean
I don't know if it was just my bad luck but when I used this triple mix on my lawn 2 years ago to reseed, I found it had lots of weeds coming up wherever I used it. I had issues with the cheaper $1/bag black heart or topsoil stuff though. Anyone else? If it has weeds in it, I don't want to use it in my veggie garden.
Nov 14, 2014
72 posts
48 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I believe Costco has 85L potting soil bag for $10.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Samwfive wrote: I think the 99 cent /20L bag of topsoil is more appropriate.
Thanks, but where is this 99 cent deal available?
Home Depot?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2588 posts
2052 upvotes
Clarington
southnam wrote: I don't know if it was just my bad luck but when I used this triple mix on my lawn 2 years ago to reseed, I found it had lots of weeds coming up wherever I used it. I had issues with the cheaper $1/bag black heart or topsoil stuff though. Anyone else? If it has weeds in it, I don't want to use it in my veggie garden.
This triple mix is weed free. Some are and some aren't. Keep in mind also, you are effectively fertilizing everything that is there, grass AND weeds, which is why you typically notice higher weed growth.

Anyone that compares this to the $1 bags of black earth is just silly. The $1 bags of black earth are just top soil. This is top soil with significant amounts of compost, humus, moss. It is a far superior product.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
In the West, this deal is HOT. Normally, even the cheapo top soil is about $2 per bag on sale (we never see anything approaching $1 per bag).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
craftsman wrote: In the West, this deal is HOT. Normally, even the cheapo top soil is about $2 per bag on sale (we never see anything approaching $1 per bag).
Tell me about it.
Plus, if you do find $1 bags anywhere, it's complete garbage soil!
I just went and grabbed 20 bags of this from my local HD out in Coquitlam, plus a 20kg bag of Lime for $6.98.
In-and-Out within 10 mins.
AWESOME timing, as I was just about to switch over to a micro-clover lawn to try and combat the Grubs/Chafer Beetles.

Thx OP!