Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot (US)

Rheem Hybrid 50 Gal Hot Water Tank - $799.00 ($US)

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2021 3:46 pm
[OP]
Feb 23, 2018
11 posts
66 upvotes

Rheem Hybrid 50 Gal Hot Water Tank - $799.00 ($US)

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
Expiry:
June 29, 2021
Retailer:
Home Depot (US)
www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-P ... /312742081

This is not a post many will be interested in - some DIY skills and persistence required, however savings for most of us will be in the several thousands of dollars. Mods - feel free to move this if need be. My 9 year old all electric hot water tank was nearing the end of its life and I did some research into its replacement. Relatively new to the market (about 10 yrs), hybrid hot water tanks are not widely used in Canada at all. I've had this tank installed and running for about a month now and it is performing as advertised. There are numerous you tube videos available which describe its install and performance, but basically, there is a small heat pump which sits on top of the tank which heats the water, rather than the two elements normally used to heat the water. I repeat - it is performing as advertised and will save me about 40% of the costs of hot water. For me, that equates to about $50/mth. This tank has a ten year warranty. Depending on your final install costs, the payback should be 2 1/2 to 3 years.

This is the closest, similar model sold in Canada:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rheem- ... ?rrec=true
It has leak detection and automatic shut off, which mine do not. It is also 40 gal vs my 50 gal. For those still reading, I can tell you I attempted to order through HD in Canada once. Order accepted, but an email several days later saying cancelled.
I was able to order through HD in Bellingham, Washington and chose the store as the delivery address. I phoned and this was not a problem. I then contacted dwair.com (a freight forwarder in Blaine, Wa.), because of Covid border closure. They picked it up and delivered it to a warehouse in Surrey, BC. I contacted clearit.ca, (customs broker), who looked after the border paper.
Costs (as they appeared on my M/C bill:
Tank: $799 + $79 tax (USD) = $1118.14 CAD (I will eventually be able to recover the $79 USD from the state of Washington).
Freight Forwarding: $165 USD = $207.90 CAD
Customs Broker: $255 CAD (It is something like $49 for their services, a little bit of duty and GST
Miscellaneous pipe/fittings, wire and breaker = $150 CAD

I was about to replace an old electric tank, which would have cost me $450 CAD (self install) In my mind, that must be factored into the overall costs. I did the install myself. I had 3 different plumbers in my home. Two were not interested in selling a heat pump hot water tank. The third quoted me $3500 for install of a natural gas unit. (required install of a new gas line to the tank) I can't speak to the costing of natural gas, but if what you read online is true, these hybrid tanks will still ultimately save $. This particular tank wants 10/2 wire and a 30 amp breaker. Most homes, if equipped with electric tanks, have 12/2 wire on a 20 amp circuit. Again, I did this myself and was not difficult, but I know its not for everyone. BC allows for install of hot water tanks in attached garages, and that makes install easier. My attached garage is insulated and oversize (25x25x 12 feet high). I don't heat the garage and the coolest it got this past winter in my garage, was 8 C. You cannot put these in spaces which freeze and they require access to large spaces of air. This will emit some cool air, but in my garage, if thats 1 or 2 degrees C, thats it. Lots of discussion online about installing these in heated space (say a heated basement) and how you maybe robbing one source of heat to heat your water, but it would be minimal. This tank also requires a drain for the condensate. Noise: There is a small heat pump that runs when heating the water. I would equate this noise to a small box fan running on low. Normal conversation is easy standing right beside it.
The 'hybrid' portion refers to the tanks ability to run on heat pump only, heat pump and elements (as in normal tanks, this one still has the two resistive elements) or elements only. Most of the time, its only the bride and I and the heat pump only mode (most efficient) allows sufficient hot water. I expect when we have company, I'll place it on high demand mode which will kick in the resistive elements if the heat pump cant keep up. All of this is easily done on the included app, which also provides daily, weekly and monthly energy use. Finally, at least in BC, BC Hydro offered a $1000 rebate for install of this unit. But only if done by a contractor. I didn't like the responses/ambivalence I got from the two I spoke to. R and R of this unit for an existing electric hot water tank is well within the capability of most DIYrs. Be gentle ;)
Last edited by coadymd on May 29th, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 replies
May 2, 2010
314 posts
176 upvotes
Not for me, as I have a gas tank, but love this post. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2005
2068 posts
247 upvotes
GTA
hotski7 wrote: Not for me, as I have a gas tank, but love this post. Thanks OP
Agreed! Great post OP
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1289 posts
915 upvotes
Good post OP. As you already hinted, this isn't for everybody. I briefly looked at heat pump water heaters before installing my condensing hot water on demand. There isn't a big market for these in Canada, hopefully that changes though.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1954 posts
1474 upvotes
Langley
paintballdude05 wrote: Good post OP. As you already hinted, this isn't for everybody. I briefly looked at heat pump water heaters before installing my condensing hot water on demand. There isn't a big market for these in Canada, hopefully that changes though.
On a commercial level there is a massive market for these, everything is moving to HP water heaters (at least out west in BC due to our climate) . All new projects we see are looking at this style of heating. I am a rep for several major commercial style heat pump water heaters and I can assure you they will be coming to Canada on a residential level of sizing sooner than later. Commercial/institutional is already here.

Great post OP
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2010 posts
436 upvotes
Burlington
I had never heard of hybrid electric easter heaters. Watched this video to learn more about them. They are neat!
Nov 10, 2003
149 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
I thought about a heat pump hot water heater, but be careful about what savings you really will get.

If you are going to install the tank in a heated basement, then the heat isn't free, your heating system will be supplying the heat that is used.

In the summer when your heat is off, then OK, the heat is free, and maybe you can cool down your basement which may be nice.

Ideally you would install this type of water heater in an unheated garage where you are not losing your house heat to the hot water tank.

Think about a heat pump system for house heating - would you install the heat pump unit inside your house?
(Answer - definitely not!!)
Feb 16, 2004
863 posts
91 upvotes
This is what I love about rfd. This is useful info I would not get anywhere else. Thank you for your contribution and setting a good example for others to share their knowledge if they can help the community save.
Feb 14, 2021
27 posts
99 upvotes
Neat system.
It won't work for our house, because the heater is in a large closet, essentially.
I am thinking of installing a smaller pre-heater tank instead, hooked up to a ~2-4 kW PV solar panel mounted on the south facing wall.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1936 posts
2842 upvotes
Atlantic
This is an interesting efficiency product but I honestly question the cost benefit analysis of these products. A no frills standard electric water heater is roughly $500-$700. To be paying over $2400 (homedepot.ca) for a heat pump style water heater....that's a lot of savings that need to be made up for with electricity savings.

Maybe that will change with Trudeau's home renovation program........
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8973 posts
6074 upvotes
Kootenays
Using my Montana zip, the 50 gal Performance Platinum comes in at $1450 USD for me.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
1676 posts
89 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: This is an interesting efficiency product but I honestly question the cost benefit analysis of these products. A no frills standard electric water heater is roughly $500-$700. To be paying over $2400 (homedepot.ca) for a heat pump style water heater....that's a lot of savings that need to be made up for with electricity savings.

Maybe that will change with Trudeau's home renovation program........
What happens with utilities pricing over the next several years is what will alter the payback period. We know that the federal carbon tax will add to natural gas bills, but what's not so certain is how electricity charges will fluctuate. That will change the break even point. Local hydro companies will be spending a lot to upgrade and maintain aging infrastructure, which will end pushing up our bills. I think in any case we end up paying more overall, but that electrified heating will be cheaper than natural gas.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1872 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
Greener homes credit will apply to these if purchased in Canada.
Jun 10, 2003
740 posts
149 upvotes
Halifax
If you want to save money and a bit of energy look into a Rheem Marathon tank. It is an all plastic tank with a ton of insulation so it wont rot out on you and it has almost no stand by heat loss. I have mine setup with a timer so it only ever heats the water on cheaper off peak rates, it will also let me use regular solar panels to heat my water when I get them.
Jul 21, 2013
840 posts
532 upvotes
Calgary
I think you got yourself a really good deal because it looks like those things barely go for less than 1500 USD. Which makes importing it less interesting.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3492 posts
2262 upvotes
Montreal
DVS wrote: I thought about a heat pump hot water heater, but be careful about what savings you really will get.

If you are going to install the tank in a heated basement, then the heat isn't free, your heating system will be supplying the heat that is used.

In the summer when your heat is off, then OK, the heat is free, and maybe you can cool down your basement which may be nice.

Ideally you would install this type of water heater in an unheated garage where you are not losing your house heat to the hot water tank.

Think about a heat pump system for house heating - would you install the heat pump unit inside your house?
(Answer - definitely not!!)
My first thought too, it makes sense in warm places, but not where we have to heat our house 6 months of the year.
Dec 1, 2016
21 posts
8 upvotes
This is very interesting. Hybrid water heater is news to me. My home uses natural gas water heater and I am looking to replace it. My water heater tank is right beside my furnace in the house and I actually think that area is excessively warm. Does that hybrid system actually absorb that much heat to have a noticeable difference? I want to explore this option but I don’t want to end up having my furnace working excessively to compensate.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1936 posts
2842 upvotes
Atlantic
NoMoneyForAnything wrote: My home uses natural gas water heater and I am looking to replace it.
It is not trivial to switch from natural gas to an electric water heater. I believe this model requires a 30A circuit - you need to have this available close to your water heater. This may require getting an electrician to install such a circuit assuming that your main electrical panel supports an additional 30A circuit.

At the end of the day - this is an electric water heater with an additional heat pump on top.
Last edited by EasyCompany251 on May 29th, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2018
11 posts
66 upvotes
You could replace the doors with louvered ones to gain the requisite air exchange (per the instructions on the tank).