• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2019 8:26 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6056 posts
2093 upvotes

[Home Depot] USA Deal - 2 x 20 Lbs Charcoal Briquettes $9.99 USD

Saw this at Home Depot in Niagara Falls NY today - they have 174 two packs in stock.
Gets mixed reviews with many saying performs no different than Kingsford in burning.
I bought it to use with my bullet smoker - my Kamado gets lump only.

NB some Home Depot stores are showing $14.99 - others show $9.99

Obviously not worth making a trip to USA for charcoal briquettes but if you are there on a shopping trip anyway....
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2309 posts
1233 upvotes
Durham
won't take advantage of this deal since i don't live near the border...

anyone know if charcoal usually goes on sale at the end of the season? just bought a charcoal grill for the first time
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7451 posts
2677 upvotes
Markham
plymouthhater wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 9:27 pm
Saw this at Home Depot in Niagara Falls NY today - they have 174 two packs in stock.
Gets mixed reviews with many saying performs no different than Kingsford in burning.
I bought it to use with my bullet smoker - my Kamado gets lump only.

NB some Home Depot stores are showing $14.99 - others show $9.99

Obviously not worth making a trip to USA for charcoal briquettes but if you are there on a shopping trip anyway....
Other than maybe capacity, why do you have a bullet smoker and a Kamado...I thought the Kamado is very good at holding temps and long burns for smoking?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6056 posts
2093 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 11:52 am
Other than maybe capacity, why do you have a bullet smoker and a Kamado...I thought the Kamado is very good at holding temps and long burns for smoking?
Capacity is one issue - I have a Visions Kamado from Costco (when they cleared them out a couple of years ago for $600) - it's got a useless 2 tiered shelf that's a PITA for accessing stuff on the lower grill.
My Brinkman $20 on Kijiji bullet smoker has been modded to 3 shelves + I did the user recommended mod of moving the legs to the outside - I can smoke double the amount of food that I can on the Kamado and it's so easy to add charcoal when the bowl (which I also modded with air holes and a grate at the bottom to allow air under the charcoal vs the Kamado where I'd have to remove some food to raise the hinged grates) is sitting on a couple of bricks...all I have to do is lift the smoker off - dump in more charcoal and wood chunks and lower the smoker back over the bowl of charcoal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7451 posts
2677 upvotes
Markham
plymouthhater wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 6:27 pm
Capacity is one issue - I have a Visions Kamado from Costco (when they cleared them out a couple of years ago for $600) - it's got a useless 2 tiered shelf that's a PITA for accessing stuff on the lower grill.
My Brinkman $20 on Kijiji bullet smoker has been modded to 3 shelves + I did the user recommended mod of moving the legs to the outside - I can smoke double the amount of food that I can on the Kamado and it's so easy to add charcoal when the bowl (which I also modded with air holes and a grate at the bottom to allow air under the charcoal vs the Kamado where I'd have to remove some food to raise the hinged grates) is sitting on a couple of bricks...all I have to do is lift the smoker off - dump in more charcoal and wood chunks and lower the smoker back over the bowl of charcoal.
El cheapo Brinkman! I have a masterbuilt aka Cabela's 7 in 1 grill/smoker.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 8, 2019
16 posts
6 upvotes
timonwong wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 10:05 pm
won't take advantage of this deal since i don't live near the border...

anyone know if charcoal usually goes on sale at the end of the season? just bought a charcoal grill for the first time

It might do in some places, I do know that Kingsford Original goes down to $10 for the big bag at the start of the summer in home depot.
That's when I usually stock up.

The briquettes give a more even, predictable temperature which is good for smoking / indirect heat and for starting to learn how to grill with charcoal.