Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Veranda 12 Ft. - HP Composite Capped Grooved Decking - 21% off $24.72

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 2:34 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 9, 2015
12 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

[Home Depot] Veranda 12 Ft. - HP Composite Capped Grooved Decking - 21% off $24.72

Home Depot has the Veranda 12 Ft HP Composite Capped Decking 21% off right now for $24.76, which is $0.72 more than the cheaper Veranda decking. Is this a good deal?

Another option I like is the Leadvision from Rona. Has anyone used either?
Images
  • 57294095_431308791014202_6613868582046531584_n.png
Last edited by sedawk on Apr 18th, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Newbie
Feb 7, 2007
78 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
sedawk wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 9:58 pm
Home Depot has the Veranda 12 Ft HP Composite Capped Decking 21% off right now for $24.76, which is $0.72 more than the cheaper Veranda decking. Is this a good deal?

Another option I like is the Leadvision from Rona. Has anyone used either?
Built my 12x16 deck with leadvision from Rona and I love the stuff. The clip system isn't my favourite but the deck itself is beautiful but maybe a little on the sensitive side. I found it marks up easier than my in-laws Trex decking but there's also a huge difference in price.

I have no hesitation in recommending leadvision.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2007
1032 posts
391 upvotes
I know nothing about this stuff, but am interested in any replies. Veranda is HD's own line. They gave me an estimate recently in this and it's about 3-4000 cheaper than the Trex Transcend I had my eye on. The hidden fasteners were much cheaper as well.
Jr. Member
Jan 15, 2013
176 posts
96 upvotes
Midland, ON
I used the Veranda HP Capped Composite Decking in the redwood colour to rebuild my deck last year.

I was originally looking at Trex and while the Enhance was the cheapest in their line, it looked the cheapest as well. The pattern repeated too often and looked like tiger stripes and it just felt really plasticy. Anything in the higher lines was just way too much money which was why I went for Veranda.

The decking looks beautiful. It’s nice quality, the colour is great and the wood grain pattern looks natural. I’m not much of a builder, just a self-taught handyman but I found it easy to work with apart from the boards being a bit heavy, which is a good thing really. The hidden fasteners were easy to use and I also bought the Coretex screws with the colour matched plugs for the spots I couldn’t use the hidden fasteners (the stairs, the cocktail railing, the picture frame edges). My deck gets a lot of direct sun and my old pressure treated deck was impossible to walk on barefoot because of the heat but I found this composite decking to be better for that and it also feels a lot smoother to walk on obviously. I kept the deck shovelled all winter (plastic shovel) and during a wind storm a part of my fence broke off and landed on my deck so I was worried about how it would hold up. Now that spring is here I just mopped it with a bit of soapy water and it looks great. Just like new.

When I ordered my decking I waited until Home Depot was having one of the credit card offers so I ended up getting 10% off the entire order. For anyone interested that would make this deal even better.

I attached a picture from before I finished the railing on the stairs.

Edit: Fixed the name of the basic Trex decking.
Images
  • 0FDC5429-5A62-4635-9157-6E131446EB3B.jpeg
Last edited by MVallee on Apr 18th, 2019 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie
Feb 22, 2017
58 posts
70 upvotes
toronto, ON
MVallee wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:29 am
I used the Veranda HP Capped Composite Decking in the redwood colour to rebuild my deck last year.

I was originally looking at Trex and while the Transcend was the cheapest in their line, it looked the cheapest as well. The pattern repeated too often and looked like tiger stripes and it just felt really plasticy. Anything in the higher lines was just way too much money which was why I went for Veranda.

The decking looks beautiful. It’s nice quality, the colour is great and the wood grain pattern looks natural. I’m not much of a builder, just a self-taught handyman but I found it easy to work with apart from the boards being a bit heavy, which is a good thing really. The hidden fasteners were easy to use and I also bought the Coretex screws with the colour matched plugs for the spots I couldn’t use the hidden fasteners (the stairs, the cocktail railing, the picture frame edges). My deck gets a lot of direct sun and my old pressure treated deck was impossible to walk on barefoot because of the heat but I found this composite decking to be better for that and it also feels a lot smoother to walk on obviously. I kept the deck shovelled all winter (plastic shovel) and during a wind storm a part of my fence broke off and landed on my deck so I was worried about how it would hold up. Now that spring is here I just mopped it with a bit of soapy water and it looks great. Just like new.

When I ordered my decking I waited until Home Depot was having one of the credit card offers so I ended up getting 10% off the entire order. For anyone interested that would make this deal even better.

I attached a picture from before I finished the railing on the stairs.
Nice looking deck, but is shoveling it in winter recommended/required for this product? That's a huge negative - I have enough to shovel!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3013 posts
2441 upvotes
Kareth wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:50 am
Nice looking deck, but is shoveling it in winter recommended/required for this product? That's a huge negative - I have enough to shovel!
Only if you plan to use the deck in the winter, or you're worried about the extra weight. Otherwise I don't see why you'd have to shovel it.

Only reason I shovel mine is because of the dog.
Jr. Member
Jan 15, 2013
176 posts
96 upvotes
Midland, ON
Kareth wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:50 am
Nice looking deck, but is shoveling it in winter recommended/required for this product? That's a huge negative - I have enough to shovel!
I only shovelled it because I have a dog that needed to go outside. I just mentioned it because by spring the stain on my old pressure tested deck used to be all chipped from shovelling.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4090 posts
766 upvotes
Wat
Has composite decking come down alot in price? I remember it being $6 a foot. Even the regular price of $2.50 a foot is looks good to me..
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 9, 2015
12 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MVallee wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:29 am
I used the Veranda HP Capped Composite Decking in the redwood colour to rebuild my deck last year.

I was originally looking at Trex and while the Transcend was the cheapest in their line, it looked the cheapest as well. The pattern repeated too often and looked like tiger stripes and it just felt really plasticy. Anything in the higher lines was just way too much money which was why I went for Veranda.

The decking looks beautiful. It’s nice quality, the colour is great and the wood grain pattern looks natural. I’m not much of a builder, just a self-taught handyman but I found it easy to work with apart from the boards being a bit heavy, which is a good thing really. The hidden fasteners were easy to use and I also bought the Coretex screws with the colour matched plugs for the spots I couldn’t use the hidden fasteners (the stairs, the cocktail railing, the picture frame edges). My deck gets a lot of direct sun and my old pressure treated deck was impossible to walk on barefoot because of the heat but I found this composite decking to be better for that and it also feels a lot smoother to walk on obviously. I kept the deck shovelled all winter (plastic shovel) and during a wind storm a part of my fence broke off and landed on my deck so I was worried about how it would hold up. Now that spring is here I just mopped it with a bit of soapy water and it looks great. Just like new.

When I ordered my decking I waited until Home Depot was having one of the credit card offers so I ended up getting 10% off the entire order. For anyone interested that would make this deal even better.

I attached a picture from before I finished the railing on the stairs.
Thanks so much for this insight! This is exactly what I was hoping to read!! Beautiful deck! Thanks for attaching a pic!

I might pre-purchase the deck boards and store them in my garage until build time. Good point on the HD credit card offer!!

Anyone else have experience with them? Any gotchas or tips you might feel like sharing? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Newbie
Feb 22, 2017
58 posts
70 upvotes
toronto, ON
MVallee wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 9:21 am
I only shovelled it because I have a dog that needed to go outside. I just mentioned it because by spring the stain on my old pressure tested deck used to be all chipped from shovelling.
Ah ok, that makes sense, ha ha.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2007
1032 posts
391 upvotes
MVallee wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 8:29 am
I used the Veranda HP Capped Composite Decking in the redwood colour to rebuild my deck last year.

I was originally looking at Trex and while the Transcend was the cheapest in their line, it looked the cheapest as well. The pattern repeated too often and looked like tiger stripes and it just felt really plasticy. Anything in the higher lines was just way too much money which was why I went for Veranda.

The decking looks beautiful. It’s nice quality, the colour is great and the wood grain pattern looks natural. I’m not much of a builder, just a self-taught handyman but I found it easy to work with apart from the boards being a bit heavy, which is a good thing really. The hidden fasteners were easy to use and I also bought the Coretex screws with the colour matched plugs for the spots I couldn’t use the hidden fasteners (the stairs, the cocktail railing, the picture frame edges). My deck gets a lot of direct sun and my old pressure treated deck was impossible to walk on barefoot because of the heat but I found this composite decking to be better for that and it also feels a lot smoother to walk on obviously. I kept the deck shovelled all winter (plastic shovel) and during a wind storm a part of my fence broke off and landed on my deck so I was worried about how it would hold up. Now that spring is here I just mopped it with a bit of soapy water and it looks great. Just like new.

When I ordered my decking I waited until Home Depot was having one of the credit card offers so I ended up getting 10% off the entire order. For anyone interested that would make this deal even better.

I attached a picture from before I finished the railing on the stairs.
Some general mentions,
the Trex Transcend is their most expensive line currently, not cheapest.
Wood has a lower heat absorption/density, so your PT deck should have been many times cooler unless you had painted it very dark. Stay away from dark PVC or dark Composite decks unless you get very little direct sun.
Jr. Member
Jan 15, 2013
176 posts
96 upvotes
Midland, ON
Drizzt wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 10:51 am
Some general mentions,
the Trex Transcend is their most expensive line currently, not cheapest.
Wood has a lower heat absorption/density, so your PT deck should have been many times cooler unless you had painted it very dark. Stay away from dark PVC or dark Composite decks unless you get very little direct sun.
Sorry I mixed up the Trex names. It was the Enhance line I considered originally that looked cheap. I did get a quote on the Transcend after and was blown away by the cost. I think it was about 4x the price of my complete deck and that didn’t include any railings. That was also with a Lowe’s Buy more save more sale.

As for the colour my old deck was stained a redwood colour and the Veranda decking I used was almost identical in tone (just a bit more vibrant). The deck still gets warm but it’s not like walking on hot coals anymore. I just mentioned it because I was originally worried about composite getting too hot.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 27, 2004
1533 posts
97 upvotes
sedawk wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 9:58 pm
Home Depot has the Veranda 12 Ft HP Composite Capped Decking 21% off right now for $24.76, which is $0.72 more than the cheaper Veranda decking. Is this a good deal?

Another option I like is the Leadvision from Rona. Has anyone used either?
missing an "h" from your deal link :)
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 9, 2015
12 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
etherboy wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 11:51 am
missing an "h" from your deal link :)
Fixed! Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Top