Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] warm- RYOBI 40V Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer and Blower / Sweeper Combo Kit

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1848 posts
384 upvotes
Lévis

[Home Depot] warm- RYOBI 40V Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer and Blower / Sweeper Combo Kit

Came across that combo in store. Not a hot deal IMO but the trimmer alone is 230$ with a 1,5 Ah battery. The combo include a 2,6 Ah battery. Of course, worth it if you need both tools...
Images
  • p_1000858339.jpg
Pourquoi pas?
6 replies
Feb 16, 2017
61 posts
57 upvotes
New Brunswick
Not really a great deal. Older gen battery non Brushless Motor so 40V at 2.5AH you won't get much run time. The Ryobi Brushless version with 18V ONE+ battery with 4-5 ah battery would be much better but the set has been OOS for weeks. Seems like they are trying to get rid of old stock without putting it on sale.
Sep 8, 2010
55 posts
25 upvotes
Jedi66 wrote: Not really a great deal. Older gen battery non Brushless Motor so 40V at 2.5AH you won't get much run time. The Ryobi Brushless version with 18V ONE+ battery with 4-5 ah battery would be much better but the set has been OOS for weeks. Seems like they are trying to get rid of old stock without putting it on sale.
thanks for this info. I was planning to pick this up over the weekend but I will hold off.
Would the 18V ONE+ battery with 4-5 ah battery be a lot less powerful?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3674 posts
957 upvotes
Great price but I can't pull the trigger when the trimmer has auto line feed. Many lower end trimmers auto feed on every trigger pull. It's kind of crazy.
Feb 16, 2017
61 posts
57 upvotes
New Brunswick
The Brushless Motor delivers the power faster and uses less power. All the higher end models are now Brushless and many use 18V AND Milwaukee and DeWalt. (Some say 20V max but they actually run at 18 when under load so that's pretty much Marketing) honestly I can't give you first hand comparison but plenty of YouTube videos showing the Ryobi 18v ONE vs the 40V. The Brushless Motors should also last longer by design. A big advantage to the Ryobi 18V One is that the batteries are compatible with just about any tool you can think of. If you already have a bunch of battery power tools and equipment then that may not matter but if you're thinking of buying other tools it's worth investing in their Battery platform.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1848 posts
384 upvotes
Lévis
Jedi66 wrote: The Brushless Motor delivers the power faster and uses less power. All the higher end models are now Brushless and many use 18V AND Milwaukee and DeWalt. (Some say 20V max but they actually run at 18 when under load so that's pretty much Marketing) honestly I can't give you first hand comparison but plenty of YouTube videos showing the Ryobi 18v ONE vs the 40V. The Brushless Motors should also last longer by design. A big advantage to the Ryobi 18V One is that the batteries are compatible with just about any tool you can think of. If you already have a bunch of battery power tools and equipment then that may not matter but if you're thinking of buying other tools it's worth investing in their Battery platform.
Well, brushless is not that much better than a tool with brushes but it's a debate I don't want to go in. One thing I want to say is 18V and 40V depends on your needs. If you have a Ryobi lawn mower, it's most probably 40V. I, for example, have 2 ridgid 12v tools and a Ryobi 40v lawn mower. I haven't decided yet if I want to go either with Ridgid or Ryobi for the 18V segment (most probably Ridgid). Anyway, the 40V trimmer is compatible with my lawn mower. So going 40V or 18V really depends on the paths peoples will choose.
Pourquoi pas?
Feb 16, 2017
61 posts
57 upvotes
New Brunswick
You're right in that some applications a Brushless motor doesn't have any functional advantage. By design a Brushless motor should last longer as there are no brushes to wear out. Again that's probably only relevant for certain applications. What I like about Brushless Motors is that in general they run significantly cooler. Either way that's the way the industry is going at least at a consumer level.