Expired Hot Deals

[Home Depot] WeMo plug 19.00/light switch 26.95 liquidation YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 5:53 pm
Aug 23, 2007
451 posts
134 upvotes
I have these plugs since launch, For me, they do not work with the BIG RED's internet gateway, Once I switch it over to bridge mode and use my own router, they magically started to work the way they should.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
ceredon wrote: Would that even work. How would it draw power from the ground?
I was wondering the same thing, but unless i read it wrong ppl claim this method works well
i guess borrow a neutral from another circuit isn't a good idea either, so I gave up.
Feb 1, 2015
68 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thefragger wrote: Waterloo, Kitchener, and Cambridge locations have had them on for $19 this week as well. Guelph wants $37 on clearance lol

The Belkin app is crap, but Home Automation picks them right up for use.
I've had two of these for years now. Yeah, the Belkin app is trash... and these things can be really frustrating to configure. When they got Google Home support they became much more useful.
Feb 1, 2015
68 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ceredon wrote: Would that even work. How would it draw power from the ground?
For an typical 120VAC circuit there is a Hot, Neutral, and Ground. Only hot has power on it. Neutral is there to complete the circuit. Connecting the the neutral of the Wemo switch to ground would likely work but wouldn't be code. Ground is not intended to be a current carrying conductor under normal circumstances.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11578 posts
6107 upvotes
Brampton
CarsonKT wrote: I assume you refer to connect both neutral and ground from switch to ground in box
is this way safe and comply with code? don't' want anyone get hurt
And that would largely not be compliant with code.

Ground is never supposed to carry a current during normal situations.

Someone who doesn't know about this could get a nice surprise working on your house.

You're also not supposed to tie to another neutral as you could potentially overload that as well.
Jan 27, 2015
30 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hd Ancaster has about 20 switches left in the aisle with the doorbells towards the back floor level and they scan in at $49 but the cashier was kind enough to get a manager over and approved 2. Very YMMV so don't be greedy and you might get lucky. Thanks OP! I have one I use with SmartThings and it's handy!
[OP]
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
tebore wrote: And that would largely not be compliant with code.

Ground is never supposed to carry a current during normal situations.

Someone who doesn't know about this could get a nice surprise working on your house.

You're also not supposed to tie to another neutral as you could potentially overload that as well.
I guess so, and finally i realized that's where the smart bulb has its placeSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
wait for phillip hue gu10 pack on sale if that will ever happen
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4700 posts
1375 upvotes
Ottawa
CarsonKT wrote: I guess so, and finally i realized that's where the smart bulb has its placeSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Yes, it happened 2 years ago, I got 3 pack of gu10 kits for $50 each ( I sold the bridges for $30 each), total 9 bulbs, those are 1 gen though, that's my first love of hue lights , after that I can't stop buying these
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4700 posts
1375 upvotes
Ottawa
CarsonKT wrote: I guess so, and finally i realized that's where the smart bulb has its placeSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Oct 14, 2015
317 posts
270 upvotes
Halifax, NS
8 switches and 8 plugs at Halifax

Also Bluetooth bulb Electric Light Bulb 11 bucks. On my mobile will post pics shortly
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18330 posts
8167 upvotes
Oakville
bigdukesixer wrote: 8 switches and 8 plugs at Halifax

Also Bluetooth bulb Electric Light Bulb 11 bucks. On my mobile will post pics shortly
I assume that was the Homebrite bulbs? Saw those yesterday on sale:

Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1833 posts
996 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
tyrrell wrote: Just an fyi. The switch does require a neutral wire. Otherwise it will not work.

I've been looking for a wifi switch that doesn't, as I'm looking to use it for my fireplace. No luck so far though.
You can use this switch to control your millivolt fireplace. Wire the switch with 110v 2-conductor Romex from a grounded box to control a 24v transformer. Wire the transformer to control a relay in a separate location which switches the millivolt on/off. Keep 110v as far away from the millivolt as possible to prevent a voltage from being induced.

If you don't understand this then call someone who is qualified to do electrical.

** the switch you are looking for doesn't exist. A powered switch can't run in the hot line only unless it is battery operated.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
No WeMo in Richmond BC. HD there hasn't had any stock for a long time.
Jun 18, 2003
189 posts
89 upvotes
For those in the GTA. There is 1 light switch and 1 dimmer which scan at the sale prices at HD Mississauga West. I've been using them to price match at other stores. Please don't be that person who buys the 1 left and ruins price matching for everyone else. Home this helps anyone still looking.