• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 10:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1393 posts
361 upvotes

[Home Depot] Wink Hub - $24.98 YMMV

I know that the Hub 2.0 and Smartthings hubs are much better than this, but I was just at my local Home Depot (Winnipeg) and saw the original Wink Hub for $24.98 down from $50. Last year it was $25, $17 at Home Depot and Habitat, but this is the first time I was able to find the Wink Hub 1.0 for a reduced price in my city. So I bought one and hoping to try it with the new Ikea smart bulbs. I've read that they do but you lose the ability to use the Ikea switch.
Last edited by tatung on Feb 22nd, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Jan 26, 2018
961 posts
562 upvotes
not bad, but it's really YMMV
I already have a ST, but always want to get a cheap wink to play with, my local HD had that @ 50 for a looooooooooooong time and never went below
all of sudden sometime after new year they are all gone.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1393 posts
361 upvotes
keshan wrote: not bad, but it's really YMMV
I already have a ST, but always want to get a cheap wink to play with, my local HD had that @ 50 for a looooooooooooong time and never went below
all of sudden sometime after new year they are all gone.....
Yes you are correct. Very YMMV anytime this is on sale. There were quite a few left. About 10 in the store.
Aug 24, 2011
558 posts
215 upvotes
i never got mine to work properly and i had it replaced twice, i was always stuck with "updating firmware" even though it had already updated. after awhile i just gave up and returned mine. I know a lot of you were able to use this and thats great since this is cheap enough to play with.
Feb 15, 2013
147 posts
57 upvotes
Edmonton
I dabbled with Wink and am now running HomeAssistant+PiHole+HomeBridge and it's a much better solution on a Raspberry Pi2.
Apr 15, 2010
184 posts
21 upvotes
azaelus wrote: i never got mine to work properly and i had it replaced twice, i was always stuck with "updating firmware" even though it had already updated. after awhile i just gave up and returned mine. I know a lot of you were able to use this and thats great since this is cheap enough to play with.
I had this problem with both the wink hub and the wink relay. The trick is to not update the firmware over your home wifi. Instead hotspot them to you phone and it’ll work. Just ensure your phone is on LTE and not your home wifi. Once your hub is on a newer firmware future updates will work on the wifi.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15293 posts
4386 upvotes
Scarberia
what is the HD sku thx
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Dec 5, 2004
373 posts
51 upvotes
nesta1 wrote: I had this problem with both the wink hub and the wink relay. The trick is to not update the firmware over your home wifi. Instead hotspot them to you phone and it’ll work. Just ensure your phone is on LTE and not your home wifi. Once your hub is on a newer firmware future updates will work on the wifi.
Same problem I had, another option to this is to call their customer support, they will put your device to a special list, which will continues update mode, after a day or two , it updated mine wink successfully
Jul 28, 2010
782 posts
418 upvotes
khangt1 wrote: I dabbled with Wink and am now running HomeAssistant+PiHole+HomeBridge and it's a much better solution on a Raspberry Pi2.
I have a z-wave device that needs a hub, will that work for me? Was debating getting a z-wave stick to use with my pi.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1393 posts
361 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: what is the HD sku thx
869518000106 PWHUB-CA17 is on the receipt.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
3028 posts
898 upvotes
How does it perform vs. Wink hub 2?

worth while waiting for hub 2 to go on sale? I still have bit of time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1393 posts
361 upvotes
rapashoo wrote: Sorry OP. I looked into those generic reviews already. Anyone got a real life experience on first gen? I can't expect direct comparison between the two as no one will have both of them operating at the same time in real life.
Check the old threads. I seem to remember people who had both.
Feb 15, 2013
147 posts
57 upvotes
Edmonton
BlueLightSpecial wrote: I have a z-wave device that needs a hub, will that work for me? Was debating getting a z-wave stick to use with my pi.
I'm not sure about this specifically with the Z-Wave support. Try asking in www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/ ? I got the Wemo stuff working with Apple HomeKit without needing to buy the Belkin Wemo bridge device. It's more elegant and community-maintained and we don't have to support that dumb will.i.am guy.
May 20, 2008
106 posts
76 upvotes
rapashoo wrote: Sorry OP. I looked into those generic reviews already. Anyone got a real life experience on first gen? I can't expect direct comparison between the two as no one will have both of them operating at the same time in real life.
Been running Gen 1 for about two years now, it works great, just don’t put it near your wifi router it tends to stop working.
Aug 17, 2015
75 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP can you post a receipt, please?!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
V.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1393 posts
361 upvotes
ViQSingh wrote: OP can you post a receipt, please?!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
V.
Images
  • 4D93B4F4-7CB9-484F-A88A-5FFC8555DA46.jpeg