Home Depot

Wyze cam v3 back in stock $43.98

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2021 12:07 am
Oct 16, 2007
749 posts
692 upvotes
Montr
I see there's a battery powered one for 80. Which is better, Wyze or Blink?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11152 posts
5261 upvotes
tokiwadai wrote: Ordered! Thanks OP.

How is this thing powered? Battery or electricity-wired?
Plug into wall
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
May 29, 2017
902 posts
589 upvotes
Canada
frederixx wrote: I see there's a battery powered one for 80. Which is better, Wyze or Blink?

Thanks
If you have the option, as we discussed in the previous thread, you can buy up to 40ft USB Flat Style cable and run it where you need, I would go with Wyze V3, at the end of the day changing / charging batteries on a cameras is just another chore and you may miss out on a event if you forget to do so.

Here is some more info for those of you that are interested, OP if you can add it to post...I think would be extremely useful.

- V3 has amazing night vision for this price point camera and beats out many others that cost more as well.
- V3 Officially supports 32GB MicroSD but people like myself are running this 128GB perfectly fine (Kingston / Sandisk Brands)
- Continious recording 24/7 with Event notifications [5 minute cool down between notifications if you do not have the paid CamPlus Subscription/ CamPlus has no gaps in notifications and no time limit either)
- You can run a cable up to 40feet, no problem, been tested and used by many of us. [Amaozn has plenty]

- MicroSD card continuously locally 24/7 in HD Quality:

16GB = 1-2 Days
32GB = 3-4 Days
64GB = 5-8 Days
128GB = up to 14 days

Some other FAQ:

Q: How long does it record each alert? How much can it record to cloud?

A: 12 seconds for the FREE tier, if you have CamPlus, then it will record full length, some of my events are like 1-2 minuets long on my camera I see. However since I do have a 128GB SD Card [32GB Officially supported], I can review the footage of that entire time frame if needed before during and after the alert.

Q: Can this send activity alert notifications to text or email for example, or just to their phone app? It sounds like there is like 10 sec. delay to receive the notification, and there is a 5-minute cooldown (only one notification every 5 minutes)?

A: No, it does not and will not send activity alerts through text or email, only through app, however you can share it with other family members so everyone can see alerts etc. There is a few second delay, I dont think its 10 seconds, I think its more like 2-5 seconds. As for events, if there are continuous events occurring, you will only get notification once every 5 minutes with the free tier. If you have CamPlus there is no delay/cool down period.

Q: How to mount?

A: You can mount it directly, the camera has a built in screw hole, and a screw is provided, I used that to mount it nicely above my front door, you can also put the screw under your soffit and hook the cam in, as long as the screw is close to surface, it will be nice and tight, won't go anywhere, I got all my cameras mounted like this. If you are at all paranoid about that screw not being enough, you can pickup one of many available mounts on Amazon, that screw into the bottom of the unit [no modifications needed] and may give you a better angle if needed. I like my cameras as close as possible to the wall/ceiling so that is why I never mounted it with a 3rd party mount.

Q: Will it be ok outside with -xx Temps?

A: Yes, this camera is designed for indoor AND outdoor use, up to -20 however based on my own experience, I don't think its going to have any issues with even colder weather as long as its mounted in a dry place and not directly exposed to elements. I have had the V2 mounted under my covered front porch and under soffit above garage for almost 2 years without any issues in South Western Ontario and it didn't skip a beat.

Q:Can you review the recordings through the app?

A: Yes, you can review the recordings through the iOS / Android app from anywhere, as long as the camera has connection to the internet and all without taking out the MicroSD card from the unit. You can also save clips etc right to your phone from the app.

Q: How does Continious recording work?

A: It will overwrite on the oldest content first, it's a loop and thats exactly how loops work, once SD card is full, it starts to write over the oldest content and so forth.

Q: Got multiple Wyze Cam's, whats the best app?

A: Wyze app!, Put them in a group [option available on the first tab, top left where you normally go to "ADD a Device" and you can view all at once instantly [they will all load together immediately and its much better than viewing 1 camera at a time]

My Experience:

Had a V2 for 2 years, mounted outdoor with a cover from Amazon, worked fine

Now I have 5x V3 [3 Mounted Outdoor and Active / 2 New in Storage], 1x Pan Indoor on Latest Firmware.

I also pay for 4x CamPlus Subscription and it has been great, I got it during their promo time for $50.

I had 1x V3 that I got first, brick on me after a firmware update two firmware versions ago as of Sep 16, 2021, Amazon did a replacement, no issues since. All Cameras running 128GB MicroSD Kingston Brand from Visions.
Last edited by Samshares on Sep 16th, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 8GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
Aug 9, 2013
320 posts
260 upvotes
Mississauga
I just got one and hooked it up. I could never get the V2 to work but this one was easy.

Mounted on the very top of the staircase looking down and while the view is boring as all hell, no one can move around the house without getting detected....and getting an alert.

It's going to get plugged in when we leave and shut of when we are at the house.

The picture quality is OK but not on the same planet as my HikVision night vision cameras. The camera lens is tiny so it's never going to gather enough light to give you good quality facial recognition. Broad daylight is OK, but deteriorates at low light.

Bottom line....great for the price and it will detect motion and sound...then warn you. That's it. If you want high resolution and real night vision, it's going to start at $700 for an nvr and night vision camera.
Jul 1, 2006
492 posts
218 upvotes
GTA
Grabbed couple. Will be retiring my V2 to maybe garage cam.

Here is an in-depth review of this cam, including app setup. hope it's helpful.

Jul 1, 2006
492 posts
218 upvotes
GTA
truly amazing, check this video out:

Apr 24, 2015
38 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've been eyeing the Tapo C100 for an indoor, day-night security camera. It's cheaper than the Wyze v3. But what makes the Wyze v3 a better option, or why is the Tapo a worse option?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
2968 posts
2514 upvotes
BC
Schnake wrote: I've been eyeing the Tapo C100 for an indoor, day-night security camera. It's cheaper than the Wyze v3. But what makes the Wyze v3 a better option, or why is the Tapo a worse option?
All depends on your own needs... Buy and try both and determine which is better for your situation.

There is no right answer...
Feb 22, 2009
238 posts
146 upvotes
Montreal
These V3s are meant for the Canadian market as French text can be found on the box and I am guessing that the cameras should be from a different batch.

Can someone please confirm or infirm that the static issue over the audio is still present for these V3 cameras ?
Aug 18, 2005
489 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
I just grabbed a couple from Amazon... about the same price.

Remember, the rating is to -20C (I believe) which we can get colder than. I picked up a couple of external cases as well from Amazon. Those plastic legs won't last long.

Wasserstein has a flood light for the v3 as well... I ordered one off their website and was told "Not available in Canada" and I'm waiting for them to refund my order.

I haven't hooked it up yet... but the reviews are super impressive.
Sep 27, 2009
308 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
thanks op - in for one. is this easy to mount outdoors? i want to install one near my entrance.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4518 posts
1097 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Can I use the V2 USB power supply for this one? Wanted to swap locations of existing V2 cam and then use V2 cam with V3 usb power supply.
Feb 26, 2007
248 posts
283 upvotes
sixer wrote: Can I use the V2 USB power supply for this one? Wanted to swap locations of existing V2 cam and then use V2 cam with V3 usb power supply.
Yes. Same power supply. Go ahead.
Oct 24, 2019
219 posts
277 upvotes
Frameboy wrote: Remember, the rating is to -20C (I believe) which we can get colder than. I picked up a couple of external cases as well from Amazon. Those plastic legs won't last long.

Wasserstein has a flood light for the v3 as well...
Just a rating, many people use it in far colder weather year round.

I see no point for the spotlight in most cases. Night sight is awesome unless your are just trying to bring attention to the Camera which can be a good thing in most cases.
Oct 27, 2013
24 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
Frameboy wrote: I just grabbed a couple from Amazon... about the same price.

Remember, the rating is to -20C (I believe) which we can get colder than. I picked up a couple of external cases as well from Amazon. Those plastic legs won't last long.

Wasserstein has a flood light for the v3 as well... I ordered one off their website and was told "Not available in Canada" and I'm waiting for them to refund my order.

I haven't hooked it up yet... but the reviews are super impressive.
Which case you end up buying off Amazon? Have you received it and if so, do you like it? I want to get a case and mount, but haven't decided on one yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4572 posts
1505 upvotes
Vancity
Schnake wrote: I've been eyeing the Tapo C100 for an indoor, day-night security camera. It's cheaper than the Wyze v3. But what makes the Wyze v3 a better option, or why is the Tapo a worse option?
I have the C100. Its picture quality is significantly better than a Wyze v1/v2. Night vision is fine. I have not tested many other features of the C100. The C100 is currently $26.99, but it was as low as $24.99 recently. If the v3 is going to go up even more in price, I won't even consider it.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14237 posts
4867 upvotes
RFD
So am I doing something wrong? I initiate the time lapse and it completes but when I try to download the time lapse it says some error such as the File doesn't exist. What gives? I'm on the same network so that's not an issue.
Jan 18, 2012
906 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
what brand of high endurance memory cards are you getting for this camera?
Oct 24, 2019
219 posts
277 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: So am I doing something wrong? I initiate the time lapse and it completes but when I try to download the time lapse it says some error such as the File doesn't exist. What gives? I'm on the same network so that's not an issue.
May just be an error in the file. I think 1 of my 10 or so Time Lapse videos did not turn out. Now I have not idea what my neighbours were up to that day.