Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

YMMV - Ceiling Panel - Wood 2ft X 2ft Vintage Decorative Panel - $26.68 for 8 Panels (32 sq/ft) - Orig 88.98/ pack

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2022 9:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1372 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto

[Home Depot] YMMV - Ceiling Panel - Wood 2ft X 2ft Vintage Decorative Panel - $26.68 for 8 Panels (32 sq/ft) - Orig 88.98/ pack

Was in the market to install Drop ceiling in my unfinished basement and found this wood ceiling panel for $26.68 for 8 pack (32 sq/ft). This is even cheaper than the cheapest Radar Mineral Fibre panel. For my 500 sq/ft basement, the panel cost is only ~$500.

Despite not being marked down, the wood panel usually goes 88.98 per pack of 8.

In my opinion this is a lava hot level deal if you are looking for drop ceiling panel that are wood and better looking than normal office mineral fiber panels. (I do have the add that they do not look super premium either as the paint on it does have minor imperfections and they are pretty heavy - around 4 lb per panel)

It may be instore only (my store is in Markham, the Highway 7 one beside first markham place). Good luck hunting.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/usg-cg ... 1001494101
20220114_111819.jpg
20220114_111815.jpg
20220114_111832.jpg
Last edited by Real_GM on Jan 14th, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Dec 20, 2007
41 posts
37 upvotes
Thanks OP. Couldn't come at a better time as I'm looking to replace the tiles the previous owner painted black in an already dark basement. Thumbs Up Sign
Mar 22, 2020
83 posts
78 upvotes
kanatacrude wrote: Thanks OP. Couldn't come at a better time as I'm looking to replace the tiles the previous owner painted black in an already dark basement. Thumbs Up Sign
Just get a bucket of white paint Artist Palette
Jun 12, 2018
573 posts
591 upvotes
Ontario
Do you know if they had 2ft x 4ft ones too? Just ordered some replacements from HH but around $2/sqft. This is a hot deal for sure if it fits your application. Shows unavailable online.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1372 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
stevo88 wrote: Do you know if they had 2ft x 4ft ones too? Just ordered some replacements from HH but around $2/sqft. This is a hot deal for sure if it fits your application. Shows unavailable online.
I didn't notice a 2ft X 4ft version. Yeah, I think it is currently instore only. Maybe they are clearing them out.

It is funny how I came across this. I bought 3 packs of the same tiles to test in November 2021 and it rang at 44 bucks even though it was listed as $88 (thought I scored a hidden deal). It was decent and cost effective enough even at 44 bucks I was going to get more this month for the rest of the basement and found the price dropped even further to $0.83 / sqft. Loaded 18 boxes, get my previous order price adjusted, and now installing it.
Dec 20, 2007
41 posts
37 upvotes
LondonBilly wrote: Just get a bucket of white paint Artist Palette
I was thinking that too but I think with the soft fibres some of the paint will be scratched during installation and be a pain to touch up. Certainly lots of white is visible thru the black right now. But yes, still an option...
Aug 23, 2001
388 posts
461 upvotes
NS
These are made of HDF, so not "real" wood. I'd make sure they don't offgas/stink.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1372 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
Mailliw wrote: These are made of HDF, so not "real" wood. I'd make sure they don't offgas/stink.
I haven't notice a strong odor (the intensity is like any other wood products) from the panel yet. I think it is helped by being prepainted so even if it is off-gasing, it is mitigated.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5894 posts
2541 upvotes
Winnipeg
Or you just cut 4x8 sheets of mdf
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1372 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
airmail wrote: Or you just cut 4x8 sheets of mdf
Yup. You absolutely could and before I found this deal, I was even inclined to cut piece of dry wall to 2ft/2ft for panel.

While Material cost for doing that is probably 30 to 40% less (you have to include the paint and primer and stuff), I would hate to do all these cutting to size and waste material if I made a bad cut.

Also, I hate cutting MDF/HDF, it is so freaking dusty and cutting that many panel would filled my whole room with saw dusts (unless I go outside but currently it is not an option). Then you have to prime and paint and do all the detailing work.

If you value your time and sanity, I don't recommend cutting your own panels. But if you are really in a pinch on budget, it is absolutely viable but do consider your time and clean up as a cost if you are going the extreme DIY route.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5894 posts
2541 upvotes
Winnipeg
Real_GM wrote: Yup. You absolutely could and before I found this deal, I was even inclined to cut piece of dry wall to 2ft/2ft for panel.

While Material cost for doing that is probably 30 to 40% less (you have to include the paint and primer and stuff), I would hate to do all these cutting to size and waste material if I made a bad cut.

Also, I hate cutting MDF/HDF, it is so freaking dusty and cutting that many panel would filled my whole room with saw dusts (unless I go outside but currently it is not an option). Then you have to prime and paint and do all the detailing work.

If you value your time and sanity, I don't recommend cutting your own panels. But if you are really in a pinch on budget, it is absolutely viable but do consider your time and clean up as a cost if you are going the extreme DIY route.
I got them to cut on there sheet saw
Nov 30, 2015
557 posts
640 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Great deal. I am looking form a similar option for converting my utility room into an office. I am not sure if I'm a fan of the design on these though. I like a more plain look but with thicker rails kind of like this https://renosemipros.com/diy-accessible-coffered-ceilings/.

Do you have any photos of the completed ceiling? Maybe I'm overthinking the effect of the lines on the tiles.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2556 posts
856 upvotes
Looks like a great deal and i would totally pick this up if I was close to starting my basement.

I want to do drywall for my basement, but at this price I would go this route instead just for the accessibility it gives.
Aug 16, 2020
797 posts
145 upvotes
I am noob in diy.. So wondering how do I put this.. or how do I stick this to ceiling

Do I need to use different type of studs or channels?

Like drywall we use screws and then mudding on top to hide etc
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1372 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
newuserhere wrote: I am noob in diy.. So wondering how do I put this.. or how do I stick this to ceiling

Do I need to use different type of studs or channels?

Like drywall we use screws and then mudding on top to hide etc
They are suspended ceiling tiles and you would need to frame the channels first with Main Tees, Cross Tees and lag eye screws and 12 gauge wires. While it is doable DIY, I made quite a few mistakes measuring and tieing the wire and have to re do. I would get some tools like Laser level for it. A steep learning curve to make it look decent DIY style.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cgc-do ... 1000424353
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cgc-do ... 1000424356

Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1183 posts
617 upvotes
It's been this price for a while.
I saw it at Brampton HD back in Nov.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2566 posts
1049 upvotes
GTA
I had 2x4 ceiling tiles

Can i use 2 of the this 2x2 instead ..??

How difficult to add center bar to make 2x2 grid??
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)