• Aug 15th, 2019 12:20 am
[OP]
Feb 15, 2010
454 posts
271 upvotes
Surrey

[Home Depot] YMMV Milwaukee M18 5pc Tool Set $399

Hi Guys,

Not an expert in the field, just a guy looking for his first set of good power tools for home use, but I found this set for $399 at my local HD in Langley. The website says it's $729 so I don't know if this was my store only, but it was just a regular sticker on the shelf.
Images
  • 20190812_164709.jpg
15 replies
Jul 22, 2015
291 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto, ON
"Unavailable in your area"
after choosing 4 Home depots
Sep 11, 2005
754 posts
48 upvotes
Superjester wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 9:54 pm
"Unavailable in your area"
after choosing 4 Home depots
Shows 1 in stock at Elgin Mills (Richmond Hill) HD, not FUEL though so hard pass from me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6404 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
Mostly Unavailable in Toronto. Some stores like Peterborough are at $729.

Keep in mind this kit has fairly basic quality tools, not Fuel or even Brushless. The circular saw is only 6".
[OP]
Feb 15, 2010
454 posts
271 upvotes
Surrey
Inno wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 10:05 pm
Mostly Unavailable in Toronto. Some stores like Peterborough are at $729.

Keep in mind this kit has fairly basic quality tools, not Fuel or even Brushless. The circular saw is only 6".
I just want to start doing home DIY projects. Is this set worth it for this purpose or should I spend these additional? I know FUEL is overkill.

All these variations (M12 vs M18, FUEL vs non FUEL, brushed vs brushless) makes it difficult to compare properly.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1186 posts
808 upvotes
Montreal
SirLookout4Deals wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 10:22 pm
I just want to start doing home DIY projects. Is this set worth it for this purpose or should I spend these additional? I know FUEL is overkill.

All these variations (M12 vs M18, FUEL vs non FUEL, brushed vs brushless) makes it difficult to compare properly.
I dont know if you are hardcore Milwaukee, but I would consider Ridgid because of two reasons: A) lifetime warranty and B) they offer really good spec and value for their price point
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1707 posts
608 upvotes
Montreal
SirLookout4Deals wrote:

Yes, this set is more than adequate for the occasional DIY projects.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6404 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
SirLookout4Deals wrote:

It's a reasonable deal at $399 IF you're going to use most or all the tools. The other option is to just buy the tools you need, as you need them for a particular job.
Feb 28, 2016
601 posts
249 upvotes
SquadG wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 11:44 pm
I dont know if you are hardcore Milwaukee, but I would consider Ridgid because of two reasons: A) lifetime warranty and B) they offer really good spec and value for their price point
I'd have to agree with the above. From both a value and warranty standpoint, Ridgid has Milwaukee beat, especially when comparing ridgid brushless to base model Milwaukee. Now if you start comparing Milwaukee Fuel to Ridgid quality, Milwaukee has it hands down. I have many 18v Ridgid tools that I enjoy, by my favorite lately has been my M12 Fuel tools for the size and quality of the tools. The M12 Fuel impact driver can do about 90% of what my Ridgid brushless driver will do. The only thing I had a hard time with with the M12 was #10 x 3.5" deck screws into some harder wood.
Jul 18, 2007
319 posts
110 upvotes
Markham
SirLookout4Deals wrote:

just get it.. my first m18kit started with this one... its a sold set... its no brushless, but if your not a pro or contractor.. meh...
its a great solid set.. i still have the cirular saw and receip saw and abused it enough times, and still going strong...
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2286 posts
824 upvotes
Burnaby
For occasional use home user, id pick ridgid for warranty. More than adequate.

For pro, def milwaukee fuel brushless.

I use both, i have the m12 3/8" impact wrench. 250lbs of torque from 12v. And its tiny.
Jan 4, 2013
414 posts
134 upvotes
SirLookout4Deals wrote:

Basic M18 will do the trick, heck if your just doing DIY then look at a Ryobi combo pack. For the price you can't beat it. I have a woodshop at home and some of the Ryobi tools I have bought in recent years I have been really impressed with and for the price its hard to beat at times. Theres no reason for DIY stuff around the house you should spend a bunch of money.
Jun 19, 2017
179 posts
351 upvotes
Bought a pallets worth of the 7 tool combo pack back in nthe day for $100 a unit. Sold them all in a week for $400. Easy couple grand Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Nov 24, 2012
773 posts
515 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
russbarden wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:09 pm
Basic M18 will do the trick, heck if your just doing DIY then look at a Ryobi combo pack. For the price you can't beat it. I have a woodshop at home and some of the Ryobi tools I have bought in recent years I have been really impressed with and for the price its hard to beat at times. Theres no reason for DIY stuff around the house you should spend a bunch of money.
Absolutely, Ryobi is more than adequate for many DIY tasks and their cordless tool collection is quite large, all of which use the same batteries. The price is great, and if you ever want to upgrade a particular tool to a higher-quality make you're not wasting a ton of cash.