Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Zircon Stud Sensor HD55 Stud Finder with Bonus Level - $17.98 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2019 10:36 pm
Jun 13, 2008
665 posts
760 upvotes

[Home Depot] Zircon Stud Sensor HD55 Stud Finder with Bonus Level - $17.98 YMMV

I was in need for a stud finder and came across this on the Home Depot website. It looked like a good deal for a well-reviewed model.
Seems like a decent deal with a bonus leveler.

YMMV as stock is very limited throughout Canada.

I located 6 at Kitchener East store and it scanned for $17.98 which is HOTTER than the website price. I did purchase 2 of them.

This unit without leveler sells for $29.97 at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/zircon ... 1000837149

Thread from 2015 when this was $19.98...
home-depot-studsensor-hd55-stud-finder- ... a-1883807/

Good Luck !

Overview
Model # 66273 Store SKU # 1000837149

Stud Sensor HD55 deep-scanning stud finder boasts more design innovations by Zircon. Featuring an enhanced LCD display, it debuts a new Target Spotlight that illuminates on-screen when you've found the edge of a stud. Select from two stud scan modes to find the edges of wood and metal studs to securely anchor mirrors, shelves, and cabinets to the wall while also avoiding live AC electrical wiring.

Translucent base and illuminated "V" marker groove for more accurate marking of stud edge location
Enhanced LCD display with Target Spotlight indicates approaching stud edge and illuminates when stud edge is detected
Stud Scan mode locates the edges of wood or metal studs up to 19 mm deep
Rubber handle for non-slip grip
WireWarning detection indicates the presence of live, unshielded AC electrical wiring up to 51 mm deep
DeepScan mode doubles the scanning depth to 38 mm deep

PHOTO-2019-04-18-21-02-05.jpg
download.png
"The Real RFD'ers would avoid sweating in order to retain moisture in the body so they do not need to purchase water."
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4612 posts
9047 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
ignoring the level... , for people that are cheap,... I use a rare earth magnet as my stud finder. I just skim it along the wall until it grabs a screw/nail and thus I know where the stud is.

I find it faster than a stud finder and more reliable.

YMMV
Jun 13, 2008
665 posts
760 upvotes
Yes, I have utilized similar approach as I didn’t have one until now. There are times where this device can be much more useful.
raskal wrote: ignoring the level... , for people that are cheap,... I use a rare earth magnet as my stud finder. I just skim it along the wall until it grabs a screw/nail and thus I know where the stud is.

YMMV
"The Real RFD'ers would avoid sweating in order to retain moisture in the body so they do not need to purchase water."
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
3111 posts
3201 upvotes
raskal wrote: ignoring the level... , for people that are cheap,... I use a rare earth magnet as my stud finder. I just skim it along the wall until it grabs a screw/nail and thus I know where the stud is.

YMMV
For the true RFDer, just knock on the wall and listen for the sound change of a stud. That's how my dad did it growing up and it was effective 100% of the time.
No politics in sigs - mods
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5335 posts
3149 upvotes
A Place to Stand
I've had it with these things. I pick it up, and the damn thing won't stop beeping. Maybe it'll be more accurate for one of you more homely fella's, but I'm done with them. Its a curse I tells ya.
Nov 26, 2004
663 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
If this works for you, then great! From my experience there are lots of false positives with these single sensor stud finders. I'd highly recommend a Franklin ProSensor with 13 sensors instead. They also have a blue branded version that sells at Costco for a fair price.
As Raskal mentioned, a magnet can help find where the drywall screws are, therefore where the studs are too. But won't work well if you're finding a stud through a tile or similar (i.e. mounting a shower caddy), will need a deep sensing stud finder instead.

+++ath0
NO CARRIER
+++ath0
NO CARRIER
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
Like some of the above posters have said, most of the times these don't work. If you can't knock and find a stud, just use an earth magnet, you will have much better luck with that than these things.

Good luck to those who still want to give this a shot.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1156 posts
148 upvotes
Magnet is useless on drywall that was glued( nailless) to a stud.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
NO CARRIER wrote: If this works for you, then great! From my experience there are lots of false positives with these single sensor stud finders. I'd highly recommend a Franklin ProSensor with 13 sensors instead. They also have a blue branded version that sells at Costco for a fair price.
As Raskal mentioned, a magnet can help find where the drywall screws are, therefore where the studs are too. But won't work well if you're finding a stud through a tile or similar (i.e. mounting a shower caddy), will need a deep sensing stud finder instead.

+++ath0
NO CARRIER
I've used the hd55 to scan thru shower tiles with success.
Last edited by cheapmeister on Apr 18th, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Jan 24, 2007
940 posts
401 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
NO CARRIER wrote: If this works for you, then great! From my experience there are lots of false positives with these single sensor stud finders. I'd highly recommend a Franklin ProSensor with 13 sensors instead. They also have a blue branded version that sells at Costco for a fair price.

+++ath0
NO CARRIER
I recommend that as well. I picked it up back in Nov from costco and it is amazing. a single 2 x4 is about 3 LEDs across so you even know the exact centre of the stud.
Feb 20, 2008
626 posts
842 upvotes
tetris wrote: Magnet is useless on drywall that was glued( nailless) to a stud.
Who's fully gluing drywall in Canada? I thought that was more of a southern States thing...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6109 posts
4783 upvotes

YMMV
Uhmmm, that isn’t a good solution for wooden studs lol.
Nov 26, 2004
663 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
Sejad wrote: Uhmmm, that isn’t a good solution for wooden studs lol.
Sure it is. The magnet will find the drywall screws. Then search down and find the next one.
+++ath0
NO CARRIER
Nov 26, 2004
663 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote: I've used the hd55 to scan thru shower tiles with success.
Didn't work for me at all searching through stone tiles above my fireplace when mounting my TV. Lots of false positives when there was a slight variation in the depth of the stone. So I returned it and got the The Franklin one with 13 sensors across found all the studs and cross bracing easily and shows where the exact centre of the stud is. All my lag bolts hit my studs and not worried about my 75 falling.
+++ath0
NO CARRIER
Jul 9, 2009
452 posts
114 upvotes
Vancouver
Bought this years ago like $10.

Never. ****. Worked.
Jun 13, 2008
665 posts
760 upvotes
I borrowed the same model from a friend in the past and it worked really well. That was my reason to buy this unit.
I have yet to use the new one I bought...will be using it for a small house project next week. Hope it works !
dotCody wrote: Bought this years ago like $10.

Never. ****. Worked.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1156 posts
148 upvotes
tinmack wrote: Who's fully gluing drywall in Canada? I thought that was more of a southern States thing...
it's quite common in new construction in Canada
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
tetris wrote: it's quite common in new construction in Canada
Glue is typically only used where acoustic damping is required, but thankfully that is becoming more common, especially in apartments.

I recently gave up on my electronic sensor and bought a magnet: literally a thousand times better!
Feb 7, 2007
430 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto

YMMV
Been doing this for years, more accurate than the few stud finders I have. And by more accurate I mean 100% accurate

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)