• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2017 11:15 am
Mar 15, 2011
559 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto

At Home Fitness equipment for beginner

Hello,

I'm looking to get an at home ab workout and was considering getting an abdominal roller (online, likely sportchek or amazon). Can anyone recommend a good @ home ab machine/equipment for a newbie?

thanks,
18 replies
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
You dont need much if core is what you are trying to train.

Yoga ball, bosu ball, ab roller, pull up bar, medicine ball.

Yoga ball or bosy ball can be used to planks, there are many variations of this exercise. E.g. 2 legs, 1 leg, 1 arm or 2 arms.. play around with it.
Pull up bar can be used for leg raises. Progress from knee to leg raises. Watch your momentum and try not to swing. You can do static holds or progress to leg raises all the way uo but slowly bringing them down.

Ab roller is self explanatory.

Medicine ball you can do ball slams/throws, overhead tosses while in hook lying position or crossovers while in V-sit position.
Mar 15, 2011
559 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
th12mq wrote: You dont need much if core is what you are trying to train.

Yoga ball, bosu ball, ab roller, pull up bar, medicine ball.

Yoga ball or bosy ball can be used to planks, there are many variations of this exercise. E.g. 2 legs, 1 leg, 1 arm or 2 arms.. play around with it.
Pull up bar can be used for leg raises. Progress from knee to leg raises. Watch your momentum and try not to swing. You can do static holds or progress to leg raises all the way uo but slowly bringing them down.

Ab roller is self explanatory.

Medicine ball you can do ball slams/throws, overhead tosses while in hook lying position or crossovers while in V-sit position.
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering how much to spend on a ab roller/medicine ball. Amazon has ones for $20 and then pricier stuff for $50. Are there any brands you'd recommend.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
I'd just get an ab wheel from Winners or The Treadmill Factory. It's not really a beginner's tool though, IMO. You'd have to have some baseline core strength to avoid trunk extension. Also, be careful with your wrists and shoulders.
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
44 upvotes
If you're truly a beginner, I would just look up a simple ab program that consists of variations crunches/sit-ups/planks/leg lifts/v-ups/etc. Once you get good at those, then you can move on to bosu balls and ab rollers.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
Why is it that you just want to train your abs?
Mar 15, 2011
559 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Dark Phoenix wrote: Why is it that you just want to train your abs?
I do cardio at the gym and then the machine circuit consisting of arms and legs. Its not a full gym, so they don't have ab specific machines, so that is why on my off days, I wanted to throw in some ab exercise.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
You can work out your core and abs without equipment.

Goto the library and borrow some DVD.
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
44 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: You can work out your core and abs without equipment.

Goto the library and borrow some DVD.
Everything is on the internet these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
jesguerra wrote: Everything is on the internet these days.
Have you checked out the work-out DVDs? There may be a difference. If someone made it, they obviously put a lot of thought into it so be more open-minded.

I say this because I checked a number of work-out DVDs last year and there were many different types of work-out. I couldn't try them all because I only have one body.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: Have you checked out the work-out DVDs? There may be a difference. If someone made it, they obviously put a lot of thought into it so be more open-minded.

I say this because I checked a number of work-out DVDs last year and there were many different types of work-out. I couldn't try them all because I only have one body.
Which DVDs are reputable?

DVDs become outdated quickly. Accurate and reliable info is easily available online.
Dec 10, 2007
794 posts
658 upvotes
Arviat
you do not really need special equipment to hit your abs/core.. body weight exercises should be enough for a beginner (ab specific or compound movements, there's a ton of guides on the internet).
Buy nice or buy twice.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
amz155 wrote: Which DVDs are reputable?

DVDs become outdated quickly. Accurate and reliable info is easily available online.
The human body hasn't change that much is not the title.

The favourite one I borrowed from the library was Seven Days, Seven Workouts by Total Body.

Day one was a 30 minutes video about walking.
It featured the following workout enthusiast: Jessica Smith, Janis Saffell, David Snively, lead by 4 others that was not named on the online library catalogue and other work out enthusiast who enjoy working out with them during filming.

The one I mentioned above give viewers a glimpse of a variety of fun ways to work out! Each day features a different instructor.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: The human body hasn't change that much is not the title.

The favourite one I borrowed from the library was Seven Days, Seven Workouts by Total Body.

Day one was a 30 minutes video about walking.
It featured the following workout enthusiast: Jessica Smith, Janis Saffell, David Snively, lead by 4 others that was not named on the online library catalogue and other work out enthusiast who enjoy working out with them during filming.

The one I mentioned above give viewers a glimpse of a variety of fun ways to work out! Each day features a different instructor.
I was asking which DVDs featuring ab/core workouts you think are good. A thirty minute video about walking isn't about abs.
Dec 1, 2017
0 posts
An ab roller is great! Sometimes, it can be hard on the lower back so be careful!

Abs don't need a ton of equipment, you can do most exercises with no equipment.

That being said, if you want abs, your diet is most important! Eat healthier, drink more water, reduce your carb intake, and eat more protein. That mixed with an increase in direct ab work will help tone your midsection!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
amz155 wrote: I was asking which DVDs featuring ab/core workouts you think are good. A thirty minute video about walking isn't about abs.
I am sorry, your previous question did not specify that you wanted ab/core workouts (and you are not OP)

All the workouts I do and DVDs I've watched usually have 10 to 15 minutes dedicated to ab/core. You can give the one I mentioned a try first to see the ab/core section featured each day.

I generally do full body workouts. When you have strong abs and core, a lot of exercise movements become easier. For example, you might not be able to to do some Tae Bo move (either Day 3 or Day 4 of the DVD I mentioned).

Be more opened minded. It's hard to identify all movements that work the abs and core.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
kab.work wrote: Hello,

I'm looking to get an at home ab workout and was considering getting an abdominal roller (online, likely sportchek or amazon). Can anyone recommend a good @ home ab machine/equipment for a newbie?

thanks,
What is your fitness goal exactly?

I have gotten great results with yoga and calisthenics, no equipment needed except a yoga mat and your body weight for calisthenics.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: I am sorry, your previous question did not specify that you wanted ab/core workouts (and you are not OP)

All the workouts I do and DVDs I've watched usually have 10 to 15 minutes dedicated to ab/core. You can give the one I mentioned a try first to see the ab/core section featured each day.

I generally do full body workouts. When you have strong abs and core, a lot of exercise movements become easier. For example, you might not be able to to do some Tae Bo move (either Day 3 or Day 4 of the DVD I mentioned).

Be more opened minded. It's hard to identify all movements that work the abs and core.
I'm not looking for workouts.

What do you mean by 'be more open minded'? I'm pretty familiar with how to strengthen and build core. It's frustrating for newbies to be able to separate bad from good advice so that's why I was wondering which DVDs you're trying to suggest. Most people don't need a full 10-15 mins dedicated to abs/core. And loads of people could benefit from starting with things like bird dogs, RKC planks, dead bugs, etc but those movements seem 'too easy' or boring to the untrained eye ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
amz155 wrote: I'm not looking for workouts.

What do you mean by 'be more open minded'? I'm pretty familiar with how to strengthen and build core. It's frustrating for newbies to be able to separate bad from good advice so that's why I was wondering which DVDs you're trying to suggest. Most people don't need a full 10-15 mins dedicated to abs/core. And loads of people could benefit from starting with things like bird dogs, RKC planks, dead bugs, etc but those movements seem 'too easy' or boring to the untrained eye ;)
You will see from my initial posting that I was suggesting the OP look into DVDs for at home ab/core exercises. I never said I knew which DVD featured such exercises. By looking at those videos, OP can have an idea what at home equipment he/she may need and could be good for home.

I see lots of ab/core at home equipment collecting dust at people's home because people don't know how to use them.

FYI, I have a flat stomach and I don't want a visible 6 pack. That's why I never looked into ab/core exercises.

OP, you can always buy some basketball and ask someone at home to throw it to your stomach. That works too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)