• Sep 11th, 2021 12:36 pm
[OP]
Dec 11, 2012
3 posts
2 upvotes

[Home Hardware] $99 10pc KURAIDORI Stainless Steel Cookware Set - incl Lids

HOME HARDWARE: YMMV
FIRST TIME POSTER...

Regularly priced at Home Hardware for $399.99 a set but is now on sale at the store for $99.99. This store is in Invermere, BC.

KURAIDORI Stainless Steel Cookware Set - with Lids, 10 Piece

3 ply layer distributes heat evenly and avoids hot sports while cooking
Can be used on electric, gas, ceramic and induction heat sources
INCLUDES:
(1) 1 qt. saucepan with stainless steel lid
(1) 1.5 qt. saucepan stainless steel lid
(1) 2.2 qt. saucepan with stainless steel lid
(1) 3 qt. saucepan with stainless steel lid
(1) 6.7 qt. dutch oven with stainless steel lid

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/10-piece ... /p/4030857
Images
  • PXL_20210909_191256574.jpg
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 9th, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited retailer field
16 replies
[OP]
Dec 11, 2012
3 posts
2 upvotes
"2.3 mm 3 ply body consisting of 304 S/S, aluminum and 430 S/S"

304 is generally more expensive than 430 because of the chemical composition. Notably, 304 contains between 8 – 10.5% nickel whereas 430 contains 0%. The inclusion of nickel in 304 makes the metal more corrosion resistant than 430 however it is an expensive element which is one of the main reasons for the difference in cost between the 2.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3597 posts
1515 upvotes
Toronto
NANI??????????????????????????
Jul 8, 2018
113 posts
142 upvotes
looks like you have to get lucky and have it be at your local store.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1292 posts
2980 upvotes
KURAIDORI is quite possibly the worst homesware brand I've ever had the displeasure of buying. Purchased a garlic press where two of the blades shot out and cut open my thumb; and a salad spinner that got rusty as hell within two uses.
All of their crap is totally worthless junk with a quick pipeline to the dump.
Nov 15, 2019
149 posts
137 upvotes
talkshop wrote: "2.3 mm 3 ply body consisting of 304 S/S, aluminum and 430 S/S"

304 is generally more expensive than 430 because of the chemical composition. Notably, 304 contains between 8 – 10.5% nickel whereas 430 contains 0%. The inclusion of nickel in 304 makes the metal more corrosion resistant than 430 however it is an expensive element which is one of the main reasons for the difference in cost between the 2.
Nickel has some biocompatibility issues. Lots of people have nickel allergies (around 10% of women are allergic to nickel). It is also a carcinogen. I don't know the risks of cooking with nickel, but I know there are risks with medical implants.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1933 posts
368 upvotes
'sauga
The 430 SS ply is likely added so it can be used with induction stovetops.

But the 2.3mm overall thickness is pretty darn thin...not sure I'd consider this a quality set.
Dec 28, 2019
111 posts
42 upvotes
Joedest wrote: Nickel has some biocompatibility issues. Lots of people have nickel allergies (around 10% of women are allergic to nickel). It is also a carcinogen. I don't know the risks of cooking with nickel, but I know there are risks with medical implants.
That's only for leachable nickel. If they don't leach, it is fine.
Nov 15, 2019
149 posts
137 upvotes
BadBichLover wrote: That's only for leachable nickel. If they don't leach, it is fine.
Anything acidic or salty will leach ions from from substrate. It's low risk, but for people with known nickel allergies, I would avoid cheap cookware and sick with enamel coated cast iron.
Dec 28, 2019
111 posts
42 upvotes
Joedest wrote: Anything acidic or salty will leach ions from from substrate. It's low risk, but for people with known nickel allergies, I would avoid cheap cookware and sick with enamel coated cast iron.
There are consumer product testing just for that iirc (cookware for leachable metal, jewelry and watch for leachable lead, different test method). But certainly whether they actually test it or not and if the custom check it or not, that's another issue. I remember that in cbc marketplace, some jewelry for kids have some problem I can't remember. So...there is a law...
Apr 7, 2015
571 posts
422 upvotes
Vancouver Island
abstract808 wrote: The 430 SS ply is likely added so it can be used with induction stovetops.

But the 2.3mm overall thickness is pretty darn thin...not sure I'd consider this a quality set.
My KitchenAid Tri-Ply Copper is 2.5 and All-Clad is 2.6, so 2.3mm honestly doesn't sound too bad, especially since just a frying pan for either of those sets costs more than this entire kit.
May 27, 2007
177 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Are these ones made in Canada? I have a small kuraidori sauce pan which is pretty nice. It's not triple ply at this price but is decently thick.
Apr 7, 2015
571 posts
422 upvotes
Vancouver Island
happyfish wrote: Are these ones made in Canada? I have a small kuraidori sauce pan which is pretty nice. It's not triple ply at this price but is decently thick.
One of the reviewers mentioned being surprised that they weren't made in Canada, so I'm guessing China.

My KitchenAid copper set is made in China, and it's spectacular, so I wouldn't be too quick to say pots are crap based on that alone.