• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 6:35 pm
[OP]
Nov 19, 2004
184 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto

[Home Hardware] HH - 6ft Heavy Duty Step Ladder - 69.99

Pretty decent deal for a heavy duty ladder. Usually a 6ft heavy duty is about a $100~ish.

Picked this up earlier today from the Clarkson HH in Mississauga. They had about 5 left.
Maplegrove in Oakville OOS.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5743 posts
5481 upvotes
BC
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Does heavy duty mean heavy?
Is there any light ones?
6-foot step ladders aren't very heavy, even the heavy duty ones. Probably 25 pounds max.
Jul 25, 2011
71 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
seeing 74.99$ online for Vancouver stores. YMMV?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1022 posts
528 upvotes
Need to firm on saying NO for ladder deals , so many in garage.
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
15543 posts
5912 upvotes
The difference is grading, which is weight capacity.

This one is Grade 1, rated up to 250 lbs.

A 6 foot fibreglass ladder from Home Depot is $65 but Grade 2 (225 lbs). Grade 1 is $115.
Feb 20, 2008
565 posts
762 upvotes
Gotta love a widowmaker on sale.....
[OP]
Nov 19, 2004
184 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
The ladder is made of fiberglass so it is pretty light weight, found it very easy to pick up from the store.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17958 posts
12637 upvotes
Markham
A good ladder is a for life purchase. If you have room to store it, I highly recommend one of the ladders like (every major retailer I think has a version of this ladder).

https://www.rona.ca/en/little-giant-lad ... lsrc=aw.ds

They extend so you get a lot higher reach....20' is ideal (equivalent to 10ft ladder). The wider base narrower top and weight makes it much much more stable than these older more traditional ladders. It's not light but it is safer.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9501 posts
7889 upvotes
Kitchener
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Does heavy duty mean heavy?
Is there any light ones?
You want ultra lightweight but sturdy? HIGHLY recommend the 13lb Gorilla ladder at HD for $74.52. Not your dad's unstable aluminum ladder. About 30% lighter than the OP's Benchmark fibreglass ladder which likely weighs between 18-20lbs.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gorill ... 1000804453

I own this one AND a 21' Little Giant. I ALWAYS reach for the Gorilla ladder unless I need something more versatile. The Little Giant is HEAVY but sometimes you need better reach or more adjustment (on stairs).
Images
  • download.png
Last edited by Rob_EV on Jul 28th, 2020 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8928 posts
4843 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Rob_EV wrote: You want ultra lightweight but sturdy? HIGHLY recommend the 13lb Gorilla ladder at HD for $74.52. Not your dad's unstable aluminum ladder. About 40% lighter than the OP's Benchmark fibreglass ladder.

I own this one AND a 21' Little Giant. I ALWAYS reach for the Gorilla ladder unless I need something more versatile. The Little Giant is HEAVY but sometimes you need better reach or more adjustment (on stairs).
Thanks. I will look into it.
I dont like heavy ladders. I need to carry it walking around a lot.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9501 posts
7889 upvotes
Kitchener
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Thanks. I will look into it.
I dont like heavy ladders. I need to carry it walking around a lot.
The 2 steps are AWESOME to stand on when you're working.

I personally can't stand fibreglass ladders, they're STILL heavy and I don't find any of them sturdy enough for my taste.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Jul 28th, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
4188 posts
4666 upvotes
Ontario
adnan_ahmed wrote: Pretty decent deal for a heavy duty ladder. Usually a 6ft heavy duty is about a $100~ish.

Picked this up earlier today from the Clarkson HH in Mississauga. They had about 5 left.
Maplegrove in Oakville OOS.
Until July 29, Sobeys, Foodland and Safeway has Home Hardware GCs at 10% Off
Sep 5, 2006
655 posts
474 upvotes
Calgary
tinmack wrote: Gotta love a widowmaker on sale.....
You'd have to be pretty idiotic or exceptionally frail to die from using a heavy duty 6' fiberglass step ladder. It's not very high so the chance of falling to your death on regular ground is slim. It's heavy duty, so there's not much of a chance you'll overload it with weight. It's fiberglass so you're less likely to die from electrocution (to ground). And it's a step ladder so the legs shouldn't be able to slide out from under you like an extension ladder.
Jul 15, 2008
747 posts
661 upvotes
Calgary
Rob_EV wrote: You want ultra lightweight but sturdy? HIGHLY recommend the 13lb Gorilla ladder at HD for $74.52. Not your dad's unstable aluminum ladder. About 30% lighter than the OP's Benchmark fibreglass ladder which likely weighs between 18-20lbs.

Can confirm. If you don't need anything higher, the Gorilla ladder is absolutely perfect and the only ladder that I own.