Expired Hot Deals

[Home Hardware] HOME GARDENER 1kg Overseeding Grass Seed bag for $4.97

  • Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2020 6:31 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 24, 2013
907 posts
3884 upvotes
MILTON

[Home Hardware] HOME GARDENER 1kg Overseeding Grass Seed bag for $4.97

HOME GARDENER 1kg Overseeding Grass Seed bag is half off.
  • A quick germinating mixture excellent for repairing bare spots and thickening your existing lawn
  • Overseeding annually makes turf healthier and is a natural way of fighting weeds
  • Self-repairing Perennial Ryegrass added allows for the turf to regenerate itself, naturally filling in bare spots
  • Contains some coated seed for faster germination and early seeding success with less water
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
I'm very wary of discount seed. Once the seed's in, if it sucks you have to live with it. Good quality grass has a better colour, better greenup, better disease resistance, better drought resistance, better density, better leaf texture, better insect resistance, better growth habit, etc. If you plant really good seed, which is still pretty cheap, it pays off for as long as you have the lawn.

I don't know anything about this seed, but I wonder what percentage is annual ryegrass (dies in high heat and dies over the winter), and if the seed is certified weed free. I also wonder if the PRG is a good quality cultivar. I also wonder how fresh the seed is.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2596 posts
1910 upvotes
grumble wrote: I'm very wary of discount seed. Once the seed's in, if it sucks you have to live with it. Good quality grass has a better colour, better greenup, better disease resistance, better drought resistance, better density, better leaf texture, better insect resistance, better growth habit, etc. If you plant really good seed, which is still pretty cheap, it pays off for as long as you have the lawn.

I don't know anything about this seed, but I wonder what percentage is annual ryegrass (dies in high heat and dies over the winter), and if the seed is certified weed free. I also wonder if the PRG is a good quality cultivar. I also wonder how fresh the seed is.
Beyond varietal types and the proportions (which are usually listed on the package and can be compared), how can you tell which brand is superior to another? Even with KBG there's many different kinds. And as you said there's so many different variables, likewise there's a lot of different variables in growth conditions, soil types, PH, nutrients temperature humidity pressure etc. A lot of the reviews are very subjective and don't list very many specifics about their setup. What works great for one person may end up a total disaster for another. Unless somebody does a side-by-side comparison experiment (double-blind placebo-controlled), how can you tell if any of the words used on the packaging (which are all very non-concrete, relative, and subjective) are anything more than marketing?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Beyond varietal types and the proportions (which are usually listed on the package and can be compared), how can you tell which brand is superior to another? Even with KBG there's many different kinds. And as you said there's so many different variables, likewise there's a lot of different variables in growth conditions, soil types, PH, nutrients temperature humidity pressure etc. A lot of the reviews are very subjective and don't list very many specifics about their setup. What works great for one person may end up a total disaster for another. Unless somebody does a side-by-side comparison experiment (double-blind placebo-controlled), how can you tell if any of the words used on the packaging (which are all very non-concrete, relative, and subjective) are anything more than marketing?
Honestly, it's a great point.

The first issue is price - to hit a cheap price point, they usually have to use cheap seed. The cheapest seed is annual ryegrass, which has an extremely high yield so is cheap to produce - it also germinates fast, which makes homeowners happy (until they see it die that year). The high-end cultivars with the great characteristics tend to be more expensive because the patent owners want to make money from all their development efforts, so are pricier. I feel that price isn't all that matters, and bad seed can be expensive, but good seed is rarely this cheap.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 8, 2005
744 posts
124 upvotes
Ryder Nation
Thanks op for posting this deal.

I used these seeds last year (not overseeding) and they were pretty bad. Mostly grew weeds. Might be ok for overseeding though.
Pentium II @ 233MHZ overclocked to 488MHZ | TURBO Button Enabled | 128mb RAM |MAXTOR 1024MB HDD | Nvidia Riva 128 (4MB of SGRAM)
Sr. Member
Jul 28, 2007
826 posts
1265 upvotes
Calgary
grumble wrote: Honestly, it's a great point.

The first issue is price - to hit a cheap price point, they usually have to use cheap seed. The cheapest seed is annual ryegrass, which has an extremely high yield so is cheap to produce - it also germinates fast, which makes homeowners happy (until they see it die that year). The high-end cultivars with the great characteristics tend to be more expensive because the patent owners want to make money from all their development efforts, so are pricier. I feel that price isn't all that matters, and bad seed can be expensive, but good seed is rarely this cheap.
What seed do you recommend?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
Dunderhead wrote: What seed do you recommend?
Speare seeds (premium blends) if you can find it, they often private label too. Grass seed from a good-quality garden center is often private label from speare or a sod farm.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19416 posts
5698 upvotes
Not enough sun hits the walkway between my neighbour's and my house, resulting in moss growing but little to no grass. Been that way for 10 years now. Tried a bunch of different brands, all failures. I might as well put in a stone walkway instead. But thanks...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14535 posts
3498 upvotes
grumble wrote: Honestly, it's a great point.

The first issue is price - to hit a cheap price point, they usually have to use cheap seed. The cheapest seed is annual ryegrass, which has an extremely high yield so is cheap to produce - it also germinates fast, which makes homeowners happy (until they see it die that year). The high-end cultivars with the great characteristics tend to be more expensive because the patent owners want to make money from all their development efforts, so are pricier. I feel that price isn't all that matters, and bad seed can be expensive, but good seed is rarely this cheap.
I am looking for seeds that will grow back next year and not annual...any suggestion or recommendation or which one do u use?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
superscoots wrote: Can I buy it online?
Don't think so shipped, but can contactless pickup from garden centers and some home hardwares.
Member
Jan 22, 2007
492 posts
275 upvotes
grumble wrote: Don't think so shipped, but can contactless pickup from garden centers and some home hardwares.
everyone is open for business this weekend

Top