Expired Hot Deals

[Home Hardware] Kidde Smoke Detector - $7.47 (in store only)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2020 7:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1130 posts
624 upvotes
Burlington

[Home Hardware] Kidde Smoke Detector - $7.47 (in store only)

This battery-powered, ionization smoke alarm is on sale at Home Hardware. Available in store only. My local store in Burlington had a scratch promotion going which gave me an additional 15% off, but YMMV. Good opportunity for anyone looking to replace a bunch of aging or expired detectors like I was.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1852 posts
719 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
mwahahaa wrote: This battery-powered, ionization smoke alarm is on sale at Home Hardware. Available in store only. My local store in Burlington had a scratch promotion going which gave me an additional 15% off, but YMMV. Good opportunity for anyone looking to replace a bunch of aging or expired detectors like I was.
The good: Fantastic price.
The bad: Not wired and no CO.

You cannot legally replace wired fire alarms with non-wired fire alarms. You also need one fire alarm and one CO detector per level.

So these are good for the extra fire alarms you have added, or if you have an older house without fire alarm wiring and you use separate CO detectors.

I find it sad that manufacturers of fire alarm do not need to include this inflation. The average home owner really has no clue. Otherwise you wouldn't go into stores like Costco and see them only selling the wireless fire alarms. All the average owner know is there fire alarm beeped that it needs replacing, and they just assume the only reason they were wired is because batteries used to not last so long.
Last edited by facebook259 on Feb 9th, 2020 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1765 posts
291 upvotes
Pluto
facebook259 wrote: The good: Fantastic price.
The bad: Not wired and no CO2.

You cannot legally replace wired fire alarms with non-wired fire alarms. You also need one fire alarm and one CO2 detector per level.

So these are good for the extra fire alarms you have added, or if you have an older house without fire alarm wiring and you use separate CO2 detectors.

I find it sad that manufacturers of fire alarm do not need to include this inflation. The average home owner really has no clue. Otherwise you wouldn't go into stores like Costco and see them only selling the wireless fire alarms. All the average owner know is there fire alarm beeped that it needs replacing, and they just assume the only reason they were wired is because batteries used to not last so long.
That is interesting, none of mine are wired. So all newer houses are built with wired ones?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1130 posts
624 upvotes
Burlington
Do most people have smoke alarms in all the bedrooms these days? Our house didn't have any in the bedrooms when we bought it, so I purchased a few extra units to add in. But, I thought the red light flashing every 40 seconds (as these do) might be distracting in a dark room.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1852 posts
719 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Purgatory wrote: That is interesting, none of mine are wired. So all newer houses are built with wired ones?
I am not sure when it became law. Our house was built in 1997 and has wired smoke detectors.

I see the lastest building code not only required them to be wired, but one for each sleeping room... This is were topically people have been adding the wireless detectors, for increased safety...

http://www.buildingcode.online/254.html

Oh and I see for CO alarms the requirement is only adjacent to sleeping areas:

https://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english ... QandA.html

Every level is recommended and may be required by your home owners insurance.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1852 posts
719 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
mwahahaa wrote: Do most people have smoke alarms in all the bedrooms these days? Our house didn't have any in the bedrooms when we bought it, so I purchased a few extra units to add in. But, I thought the red light flashing every 40 seconds (as these do) might be distracting in a dark room.
There is no requirement to retrofit. If you sleep with bedroom doors open it seems unnecessary so long as you have one it the adjacent hallway.

But usually if something is added to the building code there is good reason. I might pickup some of these to add to my bedrooms.
Feb 23, 2017
291 posts
227 upvotes
I wouldn't count on the scratch and save since it's not supposed to apply to sale items. Ops store just made a mistake.

Source : work at home hardware
Oct 17, 2013
258 posts
130 upvotes
Elysianlight wrote: I wouldn't count on the scratch and save since it's not supposed to apply to sale items. Ops store just made a mistake.

Source : work at home hardware
Bought two of these and did not get scratch and save but thanks OP