Expired Hot Deals

[Home Hardware] KN95 Disposable 5-Layer Face Mask (20-Pack) - $47.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 10:04 pm
[OP]
May 26, 2020
102 posts
315 upvotes
CDN_Blizzard wrote: Are there other labels on that box? Manufacturer, distributor?
Manufacturer: Quanzhou Qixing Packing Science Co., Ltd.
Distributor: Fusion Products Ltd. (Cambridge, ON)

No mention of either company on any recall notice that I've read so far.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2868 posts
404 upvotes
Just my 2 cents: Despite the Newegg masks being a significantly better value and potentially coming from the same places of origin, one thing to consider is that these are repackage/resold by a Canadian entity that has an MDEL#, going through a local retailer - Adds a touch of legitimacy and gives you a storefront to interact with if the masks are subpar/defective. I've never had to contact Newegg, but I imagine it'd be easier to talk to a cashier/manager at a retailer.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1572 posts
1199 upvotes
Most of these masks sold as KN95 are supposed to meet the standards from EU, China and US. I have researched some masks I purchases from Ecko (yes, the clothes brand - they also sell KN95 masks) and I found out they are listed as part of the FDA recalled ones. The recall applies to a vast range of Chinese-made KN95 masks, but bear in mind that the FDA recall (and Canadian as well since they use the FDA as well) was issued because the FDA could not confirm the manufacturing standards of these tons of Chinese mask manufacturer. The model I purchased passed all tests (10 samples were supplied to FDA and they have been found to filter 98-99%) but as FDA says, they cannot confirm these masks are mass produced within the same norms as the ones provided to FDA for testing.

However, IMHO, these recalled KN95 should still provide way more protection than the typical mask worn by most people (the blue/white ones that hardly cover your face properly). To conclude, I think that even if FDA has put a lot of these masks on the recall from May 7th 2020, they do offer a much better fit and protection as well than any "generic" non N95 mask.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1369 posts
925 upvotes
Calgary
smackioio wrote: Most of these masks sold as KN95 are supposed to meet the standards from EU, China and US. I have researched some masks I purchases from Ecko (yes, the clothes brand - they also sell KN95 masks) and I found out they are listed as part of the FDA recalled ones. The recall applies to a vast range of Chinese-made KN95 masks, but bear in mind that the FDA recall (and Canadian as well since they use the FDA as well) was issued because the FDA could not confirm the manufacturing standards of these tons of Chinese mask manufacturer. The model I purchased passed all tests (10 samples were supplied to FDA and they have been found to filter 98-99%) but as FDA says, they cannot confirm these masks are mass produced within the same norms as the ones provided to FDA for testing.

However, IMHO, these recalled KN95 should still provide way more protection than the typical mask worn by most people (the blue/white ones that hardly cover your face properly). To conclude, I think that even if FDA has put a lot of these masks on the recall from May 7th 2020, they do offer a much better fit and protection as well than any "generic" non N95 mask.
but for the price you are paying, shouldn't they be passing FDA?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1572 posts
1199 upvotes
lord wayne wrote: but for the price you are paying, shouldn't they be passing FDA?
yes and no...officially the N95 masks should not be even sold but given to first responders, so I find it hard to believe these companies are allowed to sell them. Most of them though have added a "non-medical" wording somewhere in there to kind of avoid being tagged for selling medical grade equipment. So my belief is that 95% of the market now is just composed of KN95 masks that have failed to obtain the official certification (not saying they cant do a good or decent job).
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3370 posts
2042 upvotes
Vancouver
x95zsk wrote: if your glasses fogs up when using KN95/N95 masks, you have holes around the nose area and the mask is not a good fit for your face or you are not wearing it properly. in order to use the kn95/n95 you should get fit tested. Every medical personnel in the hospital are fit tested to make sure there are no leaks.
I got fit tested just last week and have been wearing N95s at work for nearly a decade.

Again, fogging is expected for many N95 designs due to exhalation. When you exhale, the moist air passes through the respirator and can rise to your eye level.
Sep 23, 2019
118 posts
30 upvotes
I had experience in wearing an industrial N95 for half an hour and even with that limited amount of time, I struggled with breathing. I wonder if KN95 would be more breathable?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41281 posts
6441 upvotes
tenthirteen78 wrote: Be weary of this 3M N95 Knock off mask. Theres a recall on this type

“The recalled masks are made to the Chinese standard, KN95, which is also supposed to filter out more than 95 per cent of particulates. But NIOSH tests found that some masks filtered out as little as one per cent“

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... 7a-eng.php

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatch ... -1.5568734
gyggyg wrote: You say there’s a recall on this type, but can you confirm how you know the masks in this deal are of this recall?

I couldn’t find any info on “Fusion” brand masks being a company in the recall
OP any takes? @AriGold89
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 21, 2016
96 posts
79 upvotes
abbotsford
djemzine wrote: OP any takes? @AriGold89
Not OP, but I can update you that I searched that other users links and still couldn’t find the manufacturer (I searched for the Chinese corporation name rather than “Fusion”). I still couldn’t find it. Although there was a few that had very similar names.

The issue is that there are more lists out there, so I’m not sure if it’s in any of those
Feb 27, 2011
989 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Notice that all of these KN95 look identical and have NO BRANDING on the masks themselves (unlike 3M, KC, and other reputable brands). Such makes it impossible to identify the original manufacturer. It is highly likely that these were rejects for medical use and were then repackaged to be resold under a different brand name and a different manufacturer so that they could not be tracked back to a previously blacklisted manufacturer whose products failed government testing.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1572 posts
685 upvotes
Canada
smackioio wrote: However, IMHO, these recalled KN95 should still provide way more protection than the typical mask worn by most people (the blue/white ones that hardly cover your face properly).
Not necessarily - NIOSH has reported some KN95s to have a filtration rate of 1%. For example: this report https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/respira ... ed-508.pdf
lord wayne wrote: but for the price you are paying, shouldn't they be passing FDA?
FDA only approves surgical mask/surgical respirators. NIOSH approves all other respirators.