Expired Hot Deals

[Home Hardware] KN95 Disposable 5-Layer Face Mask (20-Pack) - $47.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 10:04 pm
Aug 25, 2015
189 posts
286 upvotes
Victoria, BC
cahk wrote: No one can tell you which one to buy, simply because there's such a flood of them coming from overseas. There's no way to guarantee the package of KN95 you pick up is actually legitimate and not a knock-off, which is why NIOSH has been very specific to indicate on their reports barring a certificate of authenticity from the manufacturer, they are not using the test result as a "yay or nay" certification.

You can easily find a list of FDA authorized, non-NIOSH approved respirators under Appendix A: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/cor ... pment-euas [And conversely under Appendix B for those no longer authorized]

BYD has plenty of N95s you can buy to your heart's content: https://bydcare.ca/store/ols/products
If money is truly no object, you can find US-made, NIOSH approved N95 respirators (with or without eye shield) at https://readimask.com/readimask-store/
Beware that Readimask is being recalled: https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... 7a-eng.php

Somewhat ironic that you are posting links to NIOSH reports of poor quality masks and at the same time recommending a product that is being recalled.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1572 posts
685 upvotes
Canada
plgqnn wrote: Beware that Readimask is being recalled: https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... 7a-eng.php

Somewhat ironic that you are posting links to NIOSH reports of poor quality masks and at the same time recommending a product that is being recalled.
I am aware of that, and had previously got in touch with the company. The report from NPPTL (in June) stated the product is not NIOSH approved, when in fact, Readimask is actually NIOSH approved (Global Safety First) as of August 10.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/ ... st1-g.html

If you believe their certification has been revoked, feel free to contact NIOSH directly to obtain clarification.
Aug 25, 2015
189 posts
286 upvotes
Victoria, BC
cahk wrote: I am aware of that, and had previously got in touch with the company. The report from NPPTL stated the product is not NIOSH approved, when in fact, Readimask is actually NIOSH approved (Global Safety First).
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/ ... st1-g.html

If you believe their certification has been revoked, feel free to contact NIOSH directly to obtain clarification.
Their product is being recalled (or asked to relabel if you prefer) in Canada and if that is a mistake then it is in the best interest of the company to contact Health Canada and correct that. I'm not interested in their product so it doesn't affect me one way or the other but people that are looking to buy it should be aware of this fact.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3642 posts
2171 upvotes
Toronto
That Readimask is a unique concept with no ear loops or headbands, but I'm somewhat skeptical about having medical adhesive to stuck to your face and if it should fall off for whatever reason (or you need to readjust its positioning if you fail to get it exactly on the first time), that trusting that the adhesive would hold again would be worrisome.

The HH deal on the Fusions seems like a good deal for 20 masks, but the whole KN95 market is filled with question marks - seems like a roll of the dice on which KN95 you should get and can trust.
Feb 10, 2018
164 posts
264 upvotes
i will avoid KN and stick with N,, the reason is very obvious
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1574 posts
1199 upvotes
Bioflare wrote: Ecko canada masks are on the NIOSH recall fyi

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... ason-motif
I guess it depends on what you received from them, I am almost sure all these companies distributing masks are selling whatever generates profit....
Yes, there is no NIOSH-approved KN95 that uses an ear-loop design, so in theory all these masks are failing the certification(s). The report for the ones sold by Ecko https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/respira ... ed-508.pdf shows the efficiency to be above 95% , but it's true they only tested 10 samples so you cannot actually check the quality standards/assurance for these manufacturers (for obvious reasons).

However, keep in mind that we use these masks to provide a better protection than the cheap ones that don't fit to your face/skull (like the Newegg ones for 5$, or Walmart/Costco ones). One buys these KN95 for their fit and extra protection, whether that is 90% or 95 -98% one does not care so much IMHO. I wore them for a month and I am pretty much satisfied with their fit and capacity of filtering (as I feel it, no measurement here :) ). So in the end, I guess they do offer a much better protection and that should maybe (again maybe) even offer protection against the COVID and not only protecting if you are the one sick or asymptomatic. Again, it's just a level up compared to the regular ear looped masks that sell for less $, so kind of personal preference. If you are a very high risk person with obesity, heart disease and so on then by all means try to isolate as much as possible and try to purchase a valid/certified set of masks.
May 19, 2009
648 posts
891 upvotes
Vancouver
LarryT778370 wrote: Now seems like every type of masks is in stock and with reasonable price point. I am wondering if the government didn't recommend or enforce the use of mask a few months ago is due to the lack of stock..
Yup, that's likely the reason why. Back then health care providers were pretty much told to wear the same surgical mask the whole day unless soiled, to preserve stock.
smacd wrote: We use N95 masks in our fire department and were advised, with the current shortages, we can reuse ours up to 10 times and an accumulated 10 hours, if we store them in paper bags in our lockers between uses.
Out of curiosity, why paper bag and not something like a plastic container where you can seal it?
reyoasian wrote: I still remember my co-worker (50+ yr old Caucasian) arguing with me back in February that masks don't work and that the governments/doctors advise people not to wear a mask.
Oh yeah, back in Feb I had colleagues who were saying "masks don't work" too (I have always been in the "everyone should wear a mask" camp) but now most if not all of them jumped to the "hospitals should mandate masks" ship with me Face With Tears Of Joy
May 19, 2009
648 posts
891 upvotes
Vancouver
djemzine wrote: I want ones that one can easily breathe
Surgical mask. Both N95 and KN95 have a tight seal around your face so that there is no air leak. You cannot easily breathe through them. Not to mention that you're supposed to be fit-tested to use these so that you know that the seal is adequate and that the masks can protect you. I mean, unless you regularly get within 1.5 meter distance with strangers who are not wearing masks (I do, work in health care, and all I get is surgical mask + eye goggles), wearing even those non-medical "surgical" blue masks should be good enough protection for you.
northernale1 wrote: i will avoid KN and stick with N,, the reason is very obvious
Would love to know where you can find them... because N95s are so hard to find/buy now. I use the long one white (forgot model number) and the hospital can't even find a steady supply of it anymore so I got fit tested with the KN95 instead =\
Feb 13, 2015
213 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
sherri-chan wrote: Would love to know where you can find them... because N95s are so hard to find/buy now. I use the long one white (forgot model number) and the hospital can't even find a steady supply of it anymore so I got fit tested with the KN95 instead =\
This guy knows what he is talking about. N95 are rarer by the day (gotta get fitted for new models every month or two at the hospital) but I think KN95 have been in general now pulled out from the hospital supplies if I remember correctly. I got fitted for a KN95 and then was told will never need to use one. I guess depends on health authority. I have seen some non-3M N95s now in Emerg as of last week.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34034 posts
19899 upvotes
Ottawa
sherri-chan wrote: Surgical mask. Both N95 and KN95 have a tight seal around your face so that there is no air leak. You cannot easily breathe through them. Not to mention that you're supposed to be fit-tested to use these so that you know that the seal is adequate and that the masks can protect you. I mean, unless you regularly get within 1.5 meter distance with strangers who are not wearing masks (I do, work in health care, and all I get is surgical mask + eye goggles), wearing even those non-medical "surgical" blue masks should be good enough protection for you.
Would love to know where you can find them... because N95s are so hard to find/buy now. I use the long one white (forgot model number) and the hospital can't even find a steady supply of it anymore so I got fit tested with the KN95 instead =\
sj2222 wrote: This guy knows what he is talking about. N95 are rarer by the day (gotta get fitted for new models every month or two at the hospital) but I think KN95 have been in general now pulled out from the hospital supplies if I remember correctly. I got fitted for a KN95 and then was told will never need to use one. I guess depends on health authority. I have seen some non-3M N95s now in Emerg as of last week.
Non-3M N95 respirators are readily available from China, just need ON to fast track approvals.

B.C. secures new supply of surgical masks that exceed Health Canada standards

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5596418
Feb 13, 2015
213 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Non-3M N95 respirators are readily available from China, just need ON to fast track approvals.
I dont want to make this in a N95 debate thread. I depend on N95s for a living including several patients last week I needed an N95 for. Since the paper/pulp for 3M is only really sourced from BC, most of my colleagues and I will prefer not to use the made in China ones unless rigorously tested until we have no other choice.

This is not an antichina approach. We will happy wear everything else made in China but the different between a perfect N95 vs. a compromised N95 will mean whether I catch TB from the next TB positive patient I am examining with my face a few inches not feet from their mouth.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34034 posts
19899 upvotes
Ottawa
sj2222 wrote: I dont want to make this in a N95 debate thread. I depend on N95s for a living including several patients last week I needed an N95 for. Since the paper/pulp for 3M is only really sourced from BC, most of my colleagues and I will prefer not to use the made in China ones unless rigorously tested until we have no other choice.

This is not an antichina approach. We will happy wear everything else made in China but the different between a perfect N95 vs. a compromised N95 will mean whether I catch TB from the next TB positive patient I am examining with my face a few inches not feet from their mouth.
Did you even bother to read the link I posted?
Health Canada approved!
Exceeds standards!
Feb 13, 2015
213 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Did you even bother to read the link I posted?
Health Canada approved!
Exceeds standards!
Health Canada is not intubating patients. They are there to set the bare minimum not the optimum standards.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34034 posts
19899 upvotes
Ottawa
sj2222 wrote: Health Canada is not intubating patients. They are there to set the bare minimum not the optimum standards.
Are you trolling?
Sounds like you need a break, as you're not thinking clearly.
Approved by Health Canada, being used by BC healthcare and you still have the audacity to argue effectiveness?