[Home Hardware] KN95 Disposable 5-Layer Face Mask (20-Pack) - $47.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 10:04 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3379 posts
2046 upvotes
Vancouver
BalancedExchange wrote: Hey guys, thought I would chip in. I ordered KN95 from Goltum. They came out to about 60 bucks shipping included as they sent me a 30% off email (put it in your cart/email included and maybe you can get one).
I have tried it with some perfume after trying to secure it with my hands around the face and could only faintly smell it - though this may have been because I didn't hold it secure enough. I fully intend to add another protective cover including a medical or coated mask. Make what you will...they are chinese made and I bought them as n95s have been impossible to find. The company is not listed on the Health Canada recall list and they do come with a certificate including FDA approval on Goltums site. https://imgur.com/a/WLzBRJm
https://imgur.com/a/i7NGyCc
https://imgur.com/a/s1NMRIf
https://imgur.com/a/7dB5l9Q
https://imgur.com/a/EENYQFJ
Of course you would be able to smell perfume. Odor molecules are about 100 times smaller than what N95 can filter. If you can’t smell the perfume, then there’s something wrong with your nose :).
Mar 21, 2005
398 posts
282 upvotes
GTA
Nowadays, all is need is to put "non-medical use" and the quality can be wild wild west with no control. No one seems to care. Any one can make "non-medical" products and everyone can sell it. Supermarket, hardware store, newspaper stand or even self acclaimed entrepreneur third party seller.
Aug 13, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Ah I only meant I could smell it a little bit compared to without the mask. The 5% would still get through. Theres so much grey area with the masks i wanted to "smell" the filtration differences myself and qualitatively comment on them lol after wearing the masks and handling them several times I'm quite happy with their quality. Mind you, Canada is now making their own and you may be able to support our land if you find them.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1347 posts
1255 upvotes
BalancedExchange wrote: Ah I only meant I could smell it a little bit compared to without the mask. The 5% would still get through. Theres so much grey area with the masks i wanted to "smell" the filtration differences myself and qualitatively comment on them lol after wearing the masks and handling them several times I'm quite happy with their quality. Mind you, Canada is now making their own and you may be able to support our land if you find them.
If you are referencing the 100m mask order from 3M that is not even three per person for all of Canada. Its a start but we need to 10x production or more.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3379 posts
2046 upvotes
Vancouver
wildlele wrote: If you are referencing the 100m mask order from 3M that is not even three per person for all of Canada. Its a start but we need to 10x production or more.
Actual output in Canada will be nowhere near 100 million masks a year. It's a nice photo op and political announcement, but the plant will only hire 30 people. That's because the real bottleneck is the meltblown plastic, which is all manufactured outside Canada.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3379 posts
2046 upvotes
Vancouver
BalancedExchange wrote: Ah no I meant the CN95 masks. I think I got confused that they are the Canadian equivalent to the Kn95 but not sure how they differ now.
Dentx apparently makes them.
https://www.firstaidcanada.com/product/ ... espirator/
Mind you the cost on that website is 2x Kn95 but maybe they can be found cheaper.
There's no such thing as "CN95" except for something they made up. I wouldn't be surprised if they made up "Made in Canada" either to cash in on silly buyers. The vertical flatfold designs are intended to fit Asian facial features, which is why KN95 respirators are shaped that way. So I'm surprised they decided to produce that design here.
Aug 13, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Say what you want to say. Debtex is a reputable Canadian dentist brand and unless someone does an equitable assessment on their standards your personal opinion is sort of up in the air. Like I've already mentioned about the ambguity regarding Cn95 masks, I've offered a viable alternative. Don't know why you are starting some altercation, all I've done is offer my opinion on information I've encountered. Adjust your priorities please and offer an alternate challenging evidence based opinion on the matter at hand instead of just a direct attack.
Oct 27, 2009
511 posts
345 upvotes
Hamilton
x95zsk wrote: if your glasses fogs up when using KN95/N95 masks, you have holes around the nose area and the mask is not a good fit for your face or you are not wearing it properly. in order to use the kn95/n95 you should get fit tested. Every medical personnel in the hospital are fit tested to make sure there are no leaks.
I find no matter what, N95 always fog up my glasses. Even use some pricey ones (moldex) which are better than most, but still not a great seal.

I didn't know they did fit test for n95 masks, but I thought it was for half or full mask respirators, which they test with a gas.

How do they fit test a n95 mask?
Oct 27, 2009
511 posts
345 upvotes
Hamilton
smacd wrote: We use N95 masks in our fire department and were advised, with the current shortages, we can reuse ours up to 10 times and an accumulated 10 hours, if we store them in paper bags in our lockers between uses.
Why is it better to store in paper bags?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2524 posts
3295 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
wildlele wrote: Enjoy the stairs
At least the side benefit is you get a motivated workout to get where you are going :D Just hope you don't work at the CN Tower. :)
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17002 posts
6135 upvotes
stimy wrote: I find no matter what, N95 always fog up my glasses. Even use some pricey ones (moldex) which are better than most, but still not a great seal.

I didn't know they did fit test for n95 masks, but I thought it was for half or full mask respirators, which they test with a gas.

How do they fit test a n95 mask?
You can wash your glasses with a foamy soap and a quick rinse (trying to leave a microscopic bit of soap) often helps. A very small dash of bar soap also works on the washroom mirror if you shower and want to shave afterward.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3379 posts
2046 upvotes
Vancouver
stimy wrote: How do they fit test a n95 mask?
The two most common methods are 1) using a PortaCount machine or 2) wearing a hood and being sprayed with a bitter tasting solution (Bitrex).

Note that if you exhale forcefully, it's common to have you glasses fog up even though your N95 fits well. This is normal. When you exhale, you create a positive pressure inside the respirator and can force air out through the edges. The respirator is only secured to your face using two elastic bands. When you inhale, you create negative pressure within the respirator and the seal will become tight again.