[Home Hardware] SEAFOAM 473ml Motor Treatment - $7.47

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2020 2:02 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2008
386 posts
282 upvotes

[Home Hardware] SEAFOAM 473ml Motor Treatment - $7.47

In store only, sale ends Nov 18, 2020. Can be price matched at Canadian Tire based on a few posters...on front page of flyer https://www.homehardware.ca/en/flyer

Clean, control, lubricate, and stabilize
Can be added to gasoline and diesel fuel, oil crankcases, and gasoline induction/vacuum systems
Clean injectors, intake valves, and carb jets
Quiet noisy lifters
Stabilize fuels for up to 2 years
Clean out deposits and passageways
Control moisture in fuel systems
Liquefy gum and varnish
Add lubricity and protection to fuel
De-ice and anti-gel
Anti-corrosive
Lube upper cylinders
Clean pistons
Petroleum-based
Last edited by second2 on Nov 11th, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
71 replies
Mar 15, 2005
751 posts
601 upvotes
Thanks op, this stuff is great to add to small engines like lawn mowers or snow blowers that are not running well.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2019 posts
669 upvotes
Markham
It is also good for vehicles that don't run during winter.
Dec 8, 2009
251 posts
144 upvotes
London
Thanks OP. Bought some recently at Princess Auto when it was on sale. I'll grab some more.
My leaf blower was not running well at all, threw some Seafoam in it and now it runs great. Also put some in my Truck which I store in the winter as well as my generator. Once I put away the lawn equipment I'll put some in those as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6200 posts
2599 upvotes
West GTEH!
Thanks OP.
Good price.
I use this to stabilize fuel in my Jerrycan for my Snowblower during winter.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3910 posts
3081 upvotes
Ottawa
Excellent price - I used to buy Stabil fuel stabilizer until I found out about SeaFoam this season. It does a lot more than stabilizing fuel so it's good to have some on hand. I have it in the jerry can for year round use, lawn equipment in the summer and snowblower in the winter. I use strictly ethanol-free gas in small engines but it still goes stale and won't start without stabilizer.

Napa usually has it on sale every few months but Napa is far away for me and it's more convenient for me to get it from HH.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4296 posts
2837 upvotes
I'm probably opening up a whole new discussion here that isn't directly related to the OP, but aren't small engines better off being stored without fuel?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6200 posts
2599 upvotes
West GTEH!
SizzleChest wrote: I'm probably opening up a whole new discussion here that isn't directly related to the OP, but aren't small engines better off being stored without fuel?
Yes. For my SB, at end of winter I run it until the tank is empty.
😎
Nov 9, 2016
65 posts
70 upvotes
Lloydminster
SizzleChest wrote: I'm probably opening up a whole new discussion here that isn't directly related to the OP, but aren't small engines better off being stored without fuel?
Correct, This is especially true with fuel containing ethanol and carbureted engines.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
Thanks OP I use this stuff all the time GDI engine
Nov 5, 2009
854 posts
134 upvotes
Montreal
As much as I hate to do it, I price matched the sea foam at Canadian tire. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1132 posts
590 upvotes
Markham
Price is great and product works great.

However, I found myself switching to use Marvel Mystery Oil as a cost-effective substitute since it performs relatively the same.
Seafoam ($7 - 473mL) recommends using a whole bottle as a fuel additive (50L car fuel tank) for cleanup, MMO (946mL) requires only 4oz which is 1/8 of the bottle ($11).
Used the same relative smaller proportions for the lawnmower and snowblower for fuel stabilizer and cleanup.

Was just much cheaper overall and worked about the same.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1627 posts
601 upvotes
Markham
Just FYI
Ryan from fortnine made a very good video about fuel stabilizers including seafoam.
Apr 20, 2016
54 posts
60 upvotes
lildevilx wrote: Just FYI
Ryan from fortnine made a very good video about fuel stabilizers including seafoam.
Incredible video, thanks for sharing!
My .02
no gas is best. A lot of carbs have a drain on the bottom of the bowl. Use it! Also only run regular in your vehicle. Everything else premium!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4499 posts
1844 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
My only gas items are a John Deere riding mower and a snowblower as everything else I’ve converted over to EGO. I do buy ethanol free for my machines as I value keeping them in good shape, and never store with fuel in them. Having said that would there still be any benefit to adding some Seafoam to the fuel for these machines every once in awhile? It seems to me it would be beneficial but please correct me if I’m wrong. I’ll happily grab a couple cans on sale (assuming it’s a product you can store for months - otherwise I’ll just buy again on a future sale).
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2079 posts
2654 upvotes
GTA
TeamRapo wrote: Incredible video, thanks for sharing!
My .02
no gas is best. A lot of carbs have a drain on the bottom of the bowl. Use it! Also only run regular in your vehicle. Everything else premium!
I think you mean run ethanol free. Most premium is not ethanol-free. Esso is not, Petro-Canada is not.
Shell is. There are others that I have forgotten as they are not in my area.

I thought the engine on my lawn aerator would be ok with ordinary gas; nope. I'm cleaning out carb jets on the Honda GX120. sigh.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1132 posts
590 upvotes
Markham
karlb wrote: I think you mean run ethanol free. Most premium is not ethanol-free. Esso is not, Petro-Canada is not.
Shell is. There are others that I have forgotten as they are not in my area.

I thought the engine on my lawn aerator would be ok with ordinary gas; nope. I'm cleaning out carb jets on the Honda GX120. sigh.
Esso 91 is ethanol free. There is also Costco 91 and Canadian Tire 91 in Ontario that are ethanol free.
https://www.pure-gas.org/
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4296 posts
2837 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: My only gas items are a John Deere riding mower and a snowblower as everything else I’ve converted over to EGO. I do buy ethanol free for my machines as I value keeping them in good shape, and never store with fuel in them. Having said that would there still be any benefit to adding some Seafoam to the fuel for these machines every once in awhile? It seems to me it would be beneficial but please correct me if I’m wrong. I’ll happily grab a couple cans on sale (assuming it’s a product you can store for months - otherwise I’ll just buy again on a future sale).
I'm not saying Seafoam isn't a good product, but I've used it on three vehicles and noticed nothing. All were running fine before and after but did have a lot of years and miles on them.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2079 posts
2654 upvotes
GTA
Expliciate wrote: Esso 91 is ethanol free. There is also Costco 91 and Canadian Tire 91 in Ontario that are ethanol free.
https://www.pure-gas.org/
Thanks. I thought Esso 91 contained Ethanol in the past; good to see it does not, as it is another option for this. (their 87/89/93 does).
I'm guess Costco and CanTire get their gas from Imperial Oil.
Last edited by karlb on Nov 6th, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2079 posts
2654 upvotes
GTA
SizzleChest wrote: I'm not saying Seafoam isn't a good product, but I've used it on three vehicles and noticed nothing. All were running fine before and after but did have a lot of years and miles on them.
"All were running fine before"

You generally don't notice any difference when something is running fine. iow, it wasn't worth the expense. Larger engines (like cars) have larger injectors that don't clog as easily. Your tiny 2 stroke (string trimmer, etc) has tiny carb jets that easily clog. The latter greatly benefit from good gas, not leaving stale gas in them, running them empty with some fuel stabilizer in the last tank before storage and a bit of luck, cause sometimes you do all the above and they still don't start the next season.

Save the Seafoam and others for when things are not good; like the small engine i neglected. :(