• Feb 3rd, 2020 6:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1116 posts
370 upvotes

Home insurance claim question

Hello,
Hoping someone can shed some light whether home insurance would cover water coming into a finished (concrete) crawlspace from the perimeter drains? I'm in BC and we just had a ton of rain and I'm not sure if my perimeter drains failed or just couldn't handle all the rain.
I have some cracks in the crawl space floor and the floor is damp as a result of the excess water. Assuming this is covered would insurance cover the actual perimeter drains/external walls/crawl space floor etc?
I know there are lots of exclusions so just wondering other peoples experiences.
Thanks
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
sc00ter77 wrote: Hello,
Hoping someone can shed some light whether home insurance would cover water coming into a finished (concrete) crawlspace from the perimeter drains? I'm in BC and we just had a ton of rain and I'm not sure if my perimeter drains failed or just couldn't handle all the rain.
I have some cracks in the crawl space floor and the floor is damp as a result of the excess water. Assuming this is covered would insurance cover the actual perimeter drains/external walls/crawl space floor etc?
I know there are lots of exclusions so just wondering other peoples experiences.
Thanks
Most cases I’ve dealt with will only cover damage caused , and will not cover repairing the cause
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1116 posts
370 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Most cases I’ve dealt with will only cover damage caused , and will not cover repairing the cause
Thanks for the reply.....I dont see any damage per se, just a damp floor so really its up to me to find the issue and fix and not really an insurance issue?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
sc00ter77 wrote: Thanks for the reply.....I dont see any damage per se, just a damp floor so really its up to me to find the issue and fix and not really an insurance issue?
Yessir. Home Insurance isn’t an extended warranty plan
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1116 posts
370 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Yessir. Home Insurance isn’t an extended warranty plan
Thanks for your help
Sep 21, 2004
125 posts
79 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
We had to make a claim 2 years ago when our perimeter drain line to the street backed up from roots and caused the level of water around the house to backup when there was a heavy rain storm (we are also in Vancouver). We are slab on grade, so it only came up ever so slightly but enough to come up through the floor drain by the washing machine. Led to replacing the floor in a few rooms and cutting out drywall at the bottom to ensure the walls could dry out. Luckily we caught it right away so the damage was somewhat limited - but still very annoying.
When we had spoken with our insurance broker they had mentioned that because it came up through the storm drain - that we were covered. Had it come through the foundation wall we would not have been covered. Difference being an upset condition vs. a pre-existing condition that should have been taken care of ahead of time I suppose based on our insurance plan and what we had coverage for.
In the end we were fully covered. The crappy part is that had we know about this (first time home owners) I would have installed this stupid thing (Backflow preventer for the drain line) when we first bought the house and potentially been covered. $20 bucks to save a lot of headache - the more you know!
flood.png
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1116 posts
370 upvotes
BouncyBall wrote: We had to make a claim 2 years ago when our perimeter drain line to the street backed up from roots and caused the level of water around the house to backup when there was a heavy rain storm (we are also in Vancouver). We are slab on grade, so it only came up ever so slightly but enough to come up through the floor drain by the washing machine. Led to replacing the floor in a few rooms and cutting out drywall at the bottom to ensure the walls could dry out. Luckily we caught it right away so the damage was somewhat limited - but still very annoying.
When we had spoken with our insurance broker they had mentioned that because it came up through the storm drain - that we were covered. Had it come through the foundation wall we would not have been covered. Difference being an upset condition vs. a pre-existing condition that should have been taken care of ahead of time I suppose based on our insurance plan and what we had coverage for.
In the end we were fully covered. The crappy part is that had we know about this (first time home owners) I would have installed this stupid thing (Backflow preventer for the drain line) when we first bought the house and potentially been covered. $20 bucks to save a lot of headache - the more you know!
flood.png
Thanks for your feedback and helpful information

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)