• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2016 10:16 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
97 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I was quite shocked at how crisp baking soda made skin but last time I tried it with a chicken, there was a horrific bitter metallic taste to it.
I think I used far too much and didn't apply it in a good manner.
Never had that problem. 1:1 kosher salt to baking POWDER (not soda). 2 tsp of the mix per pound of wings.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
death_hawk wrote: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XHRCGvg.jpg[/IMG]

Nothing beats a deep fryer.

EDIT: Bonus points if your fryer is filled with lard. Gives it a more delicious flavor that no other cooking method can replicate.
Damn, those look great. Do you do a double fry or just a single fry? I really need to get a deep fryer, I fry my wings in a wok on the stove occasionally but I dont think it maintains the heat well enough to get results like that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Astin wrote: Never had that problem. 1:1 kosher salt to baking POWDER (not soda). 2 tsp of the mix per pound of wings.
I might try it again on a whole chicken and with table salt so it distributes better.
Random spots were decent but I got a large spot of baking powder in some places.
BongoBong wrote: Damn, those look great. Do you do a double fry or just a single fry? I really need to get a deep fryer, I fry my wings in a wok on the stove occasionally but I dont think it maintains the heat well enough to get results like that.
Single fry.

Raw wings -> dredge in flour -> shake -> fryer for 12 minutes -> drain -> serve

To be honest, unless you have an apartment stove you should get better results in a wok than you would with 99% of deep fryers on the market.
I only get spectacular results because I have a commercial fryer.
Most residential fryers are just junk. Between hilariously low oil capacities, thermostats that don't reach temp, and various other things that make them terrible I can't blame most people for hating on a fryer.

But when you find one that's good, it's a world of difference.
I've spent well over a grand in my life on deep fryers and have finally settled on one that doesn't suck.
Too bad it's 220V. I had to spend another $300 just to power the stupid thing.
Nowadays I have a 110V one that runs off a normal circuit. Here it is if you're curious: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco ... 20120.html
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Single fry.

Raw wings -> dredge in flour -> shake -> fryer for 12 minutes -> drain -> serve
Yep that's pretty much what I do, only I never shake--does that help at all? Maybe it prevents clumping/makes for a more even coating?
death_hawk wrote: To be honest, unless you have an apartment stove you should get better results in a wok than you would with 99% of deep fryers on the market.
I only get spectacular results because I have a commercial fryer.
Most residential fryers are just junk. Between hilariously low oil capacities, thermostats that don't reach temp, and various other things that make them terrible I can't blame most people for hating on a fryer.
: shrug : I have a T-Fal and it seems to work well enough for me, though I'm not exactly trying to run a restaurant with it lol. Letting the oil get nice and hot, frying small batches, and giving time in between to reheat seems to work fairly well for me. I'm sure a commercial unit is much better but I still like the convenient filter/drain function which other fryers don't have (I'm guessing patented).
death_hawk wrote: I've spent well over a grand in my life on deep fryers and have finally settled on one that doesn't suck.
Too bad it's 220V. I had to spend another $300 just to power the stupid thing.
Nowadays I have a 110V one that runs off a normal circuit. Here it is if you're curious: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco ... 20120.html
Yeah that's a nice unit, not too pricey either at $100 US. If I ever need a better fryer I guess I'll know where to look--thanks!

1750W--talk about pushing it though 14.6A on a 15A outlet, yikes. Most modern kitchen outlets are 20A but you'd have thought they would have put the 20A plug on this thing so as not to be able to plug it into a standard outlet. (Though as said I still wouldn't want it in the kitchen lol.) Notably the Waring 120V ones are a full 15A even. Also the 3500W unit is basically two of them side by side, but yeah that's gonna be interesting to try to power too--need two circuits if you wanna use the whole thing. At that kind of power, 220V is probably not a bad idea though yes it limits the number of place you can plug it in unfortunately.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yep that's pretty much what I do, only I never shake--does that help at all? Maybe it prevents clumping/makes for a more even coating?
Keeps the oil clean.
If you don't shake you get far more residual flour which means it falls off in the fryer and burns.

: shrug : I have a T-Fal and it seems to work well enough for me, though I'm not exactly trying to run a restaurant with it lol. Letting the oil get nice and hot, frying small batches, and giving time in between to reheat seems to work fairly well for me. I'm sure a commercial unit is much better but I still like the convenient filter/drain function which other fryers don't have (I'm guessing patented).
I could swear there's a flaw with the T-Fal where it drains oil incorrectly somehow and manages to spill everywhere.
Most fryers have some sort of flaw to them. Oil capacity is the biggest one. Flimsy baskets are the 2nd.
Stupid temperature control is the 3rd.
I was tired of all of it so I moved to a commercial unit.
It's easy enough to clean too. Dump oil, toss everything but the head into the dishwasher.

Yeah that's a nice unit, not too pricey either at $100 US. If I ever need a better fryer I guess I'll know where to look--thanks!
Yeah i was surprised too.
My 220V was like $300 for the fryer alone plus install.
But $100USD is well within the budget for most people.
1750W--talk about pushing it though 14.6A on a 15A outlet, yikes. Most modern kitchen outlets are 20A but you'd have thought they would have put the 20A plug on this thing so as not to be able to plug it into a standard outlet. (Though as said I still wouldn't want it in the kitchen lol.) Notably the Waring 120V ones are a full 15A even.
Yeah i wonder how they get away with it since you're not supposed to use more than 80% .
20A wouldn't really help I don't think since this is built for restaurants and most restaurants only have 15A.
I'd take a 20A fryer but I don't think I've ever seen one.
Also the 3500W unit is basically two of them side by side, but yeah that's gonna be interesting to try to power too--need two circuits if you wanna use the whole thing. At that kind of power, 220V is probably not a bad idea though yes it limits the number of place you can plug it in unfortunately.
Yeah this is even more ridiculous. Very few people would ever have this capacity.
Restaurants would even be hard pressed unless they installed custom wiring.

But at this point you may as well get a full sized fryer....
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
How do you prevent the cooking oil from becoming a disgusting mess from the flour?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Keeps the oil clean.
If you don't shake you get far more residual flour which means it falls off in the fryer and burns.
Ahh gotcha, thanks for the tip!
george__ wrote: How do you prevent the cooking oil from becoming a disgusting mess from the flour?
Well, like he said above, shaking off the wings helps. Also having the fryer as hot as you can get it (and using an oil with a very high smoke point), is also a good idea--will cook the flour onto the wing before much of it has a chance to get in the oil. You're still going to get some of it in there, but it's really not that bad.