Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4177 posts
2067 upvotes
Milton, ON.

Home made ham / deli meat.

Many times ppl come here asking for "healthy" alternative to deli meat, or that it so expensive to buy etc. Simple solution, make your own. It's really is easy, simple and anyone can do this in their kitchen. All you need is your meat of choice, some spices and ham maker. I have been doing this for years with turkey / chicken when on sale and love it. In addition, i smoke whole breasts and again slice for sandwich meat. Highly recommend everyone pick up a ham maker from Amazon and get going. You won't be buying deli meat in the store. You know and control everything that goes into this.
IMG_20210915_104406.jpg
24 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14221 posts
8994 upvotes
Markham
Nice. Perhaps you could share some recipes of the ones you do most frequently? I always kind of hate looking for recipes especially the ones which use "cure" as the amounts vary.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1640 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Yep. You have my interest. I'm go ogling now. But also looking forward to more info from the OP.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10418 posts
4529 upvotes
Who the heck downvotes this?

Great idea for a new thread IMO.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46690 posts
9782 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Ham Maker - Stainless Steel Meat Press for Making Healthy Homemade Deli Meat with Thermometer and Recipes https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MCT96EN/ref ... WDZ24W2XPB

Ham maker eh?
So as long as the meat is squished tightly and cooked i like that, it will stay?

I always thought you had to use something to bind the meat.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1640 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Gutty96 wrote: Who the heck downvotes this?

Great idea for a new thread IMO.
Vegans driving Tesla's who perceive that they are sdving the world.

It may be offensives to those who don't eat meat you know.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11975 posts
1761 upvotes
I'm intrigued. Would be interested in a video or series of pictures of the whole process and machine.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2172 posts
1653 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I will upvote. Sadly, deli meat is one of my guilty pleasures

@cRaZyRaVr I am intrigued in the process. Are you able to quickly summarize the process? It sounds like shove spiced meat in and press? Does the meat have to be cooked or can it be raw? Is curing salt a must? Is there any heating involved, I saw a review on the sous vide being used.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46690 posts
9782 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
KevinM56081 wrote: Vegans driving Tesla's who perceive that they are sdving the world.

It may be offensives to those who don't eat meat you know.
Oh the Tesla crowd always tries to start a downvote party on all the ICE threads.
Then the ICE crew downvotes EV threads into oblivion. The EV crew always loses and it becomes these huge downvote parties.
Its a vicious cycle.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10418 posts
4529 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Oh the Tesla crowd always tries to start a downvote party on all the ICE threads.
Then the ICE crew downvotes EV threads into oblivion. The EV crew always loses and it becomes these huge downvote parties.
Its a vicious cycle.
But only one side cries to the mods.....

Wanna guess which side?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14221 posts
8994 upvotes
Markham
Funny how this thread went sideways.

Back to the thread. The pic from Amazon reminds me of "head cheese" I used to buy at European Meats in Kensington Market.

And if you're not happy with your ham,

YOUR FAMILY’S HEALTHY DIET IS OUR #1 PRIORITY – We confidently back our stunning meat press with a premium, hassle-free, 30-day money back guarantee.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46690 posts
9782 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gr8dlr wrote: Funny how this thread went sideways.

Back to the thread. The pic from Amazon reminds me of "head cheese" I used to buy at European Meats in Kensington Market.

And if you're not happy with your ham,

YOUR FAMILY’S HEALTHY DIET IS OUR #1 PRIORITY – We confidently back our stunning meat press with a premium, hassle-free, 30-day money back guarantee.
I wonder can i squish a bunch of left over brisket and make delimeat like that.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14221 posts
8994 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote: I wonder can i squish a bunch of left over brisket and make delimeat like that.
You can squish it and make it "head cheesy" like with that aspic/meat jelly. Having said that, Brisket sliced up is already deli meat and sandwich'able.

Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1966 posts
1465 upvotes
GTA West
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Many times ppl come here asking for "healthy" alternative to deli meat, or that it so expensive to buy etc. Simple solution, make your own. It's really is easy, simple and anyone can do this in their kitchen. All you need is your meat of choice, some spices and ham maker. I have been doing this for years with turkey / chicken when on sale and love it. In addition, i smoke whole breasts and again slice for sandwich meat. Highly recommend everyone pick up a ham maker from Amazon and get going. You won't be buying deli meat in the store. You know and control everything that goes into this.

IMG_20210915_104406.jpg
Here's a very easy, simple cold cut my father used to make that does not need curing. Get a whole liver and boil it in seasoned water. Cook it until it firms up but is still pink for 50% of the inside, don't overcook. (As best I can recall - I am going by memory here). Into the fridge and when cool slice thinly for sandwiches that have been spread with a bit of butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sliced tomatoes are also a good addition.

Some of the Dutch delis used to carry this kind of sliced sandwich liver along with the smoked horsemeat, blood sausage, and other sandwich meat.

I used to love those liver sandwiches, which we made with sausage rolls.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
7754 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
Reminds me of head cheese or a terrine made from the pigs head...still questionable if you can make a ham WITHOUT using nitrates / celery extract which are known to be a carcinogen much like ANY deli / smoked meat.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14221 posts
8994 upvotes
Markham
Ogata wrote: Reminds me of head cheese or a terrine made from the pigs head...still questionable if you can make a ham WITHOUT using nitrates / celery extract which are known to be a carcinogen much like ANY deli / smoked meat.
You can make without cure/celery salt.

But color might not be nice, it might not have as long a shelf life

If you want to go this route of NO's, I'd try using sous vide as time and heat kills the "bad stuff" that your body might not like.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4177 posts
2067 upvotes
Milton, ON.
I should have taken pics of this monday when I made this batch. Wont be making another for few more weeks, but will take steps of the process then. For now, use your imagination lol :)

Ham maker I use and recommend

- I used 1kg of chicken breasts (cut 3/4 of this into 1-2cm chunks and the 1/4 of it as small as you can)
- Throw it all into a bowl
- This is how I like to spice my up, you may or may not like this, the main thing here to use is powdered gelatin. This will make it set and you will get collagen jelly when done to place on your sandwitch :)
- Spices (1tbsp salt + 1tbsp coarse ground pepper + 1tbsp whole peppercorn + 1tbsp smoked paprika + 3tbsp crashed garlic cloves + 2tsp gelatin powder + 100ml cold water.
- Add all this into the meat and with your hands really and I mean really work this in. You will see that after few minutes of kneading the mix it will become thick and sticky. You are done.
- Line the ham maker with the provided bag (or use any high heat safe plastic bags you have such as from your vacuum sealer).
- Stuff the meat in there and plate the lid on top. The spring will make sure that the mix stays compact and the gelatin will act as glue.
- Find a pot that will be tall enough for the ham maker to fit, and fill it with water. Bring the water to 170F and place the ham maker inside. Make sure the water reaches the top.
- Simmer at 175F ( I like to use my SousVide stick for this) for 1.5h
- Remove the ham maker and allow to cool.
- Place into the fridge over night and next day you have nice round ham, with jelly on top :)
- Slice as you like and enjoy quality meat at $2.99 / 3.99 per pound.

Thats it.

I typically cut this into 1/4 and wrap each individually to keep in the freezer. This has no preservatives, it will not start to sweat in your fridge, and it will not last as long. Few days in the fridge max. But I am sure you will be making this weekly once you see how easy this is.

EDIT.
Forgot to add that if I dont have the time to sit and wait, I place the whole thing in the fridge, even overnight, to make the next day. But it doesnt really make any difference in taste, just an FYI.
Last edited by cRaZyRaVr on Sep 16th, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46690 posts
9782 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I should have taken pics of this monday when I made this batch. Wont be making another for few more weeks, but will take steps of the process then. For now, use your imagination lol :)

Ham maker I use and recommend

- I used 1kg of chicken breasts (cut 3/4 of this into 1-2cm chunks and the 1/4 of it as small as you can)
- Throw it all into a bowl
- This is how I like to spice my up, you may or may not like this, the main thing here to use is powdered gelatin. This will make it set and you will get collagen jelly when done to place on your sandwitch :)
- Spices (1tbsp salt + 1tbsp coarse ground pepper + 1tbsp whole peppercorn + 1tbsp smoked paprika + 3tbsp crashed garlic cloves + 2tsp gelatin powder + 100ml cold water.
- Add all this into the meat and with your hands really and I mean really work this in. You will see that after few minutes of kneading the mix it will become thick and sticky. You are done.
- Line the ham maker with the provided bag (or use any high heat safe plastic bags you have such as from your vacuum sealer).
- Stuff the meat in there and plate the lid on top. The spring will make sure that the mix stays compact and the gelatin will act as glue.
- Find a pot that will be tall enough for the ham maker to fit, and fill it with water. Bring the water to 170F and place the ham maker inside. Make sure the water reaches the top.
- Simmer at 175F ( I like to use my SousVide stick for this) for 1.5h
- Remove the ham maker and allow to cool.
- Place into the fridge over night and next day you have nice round ham, with jelly on top :)
- Slice as you like and enjoy quality meat at $2.99 / 3.99 per pound.

Thats it.

I typically cut this into 1/4 and wrap each individually to keep in the freezer. This has no preservatives, it will not start to sweat in your fridge, and it will not last as long. Few days in the fridge max. But I am sure you will be making this weekly once you see how easy this is.
Oh thats way better than $2.99-$3.99 per 100 grams :-0

So its the gelatine that makes it stick.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)