• Sep 1st, 2021 5:51 pm
[OP]
Jul 14, 2006
573 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto

Home Network Advice

Hey RFD,

Thought i'd ask here before reaching out to a networking forum since i'm more active here.

I have about 15 devices connected on my network, mainly via WiFi.

Original Setup
Coax -> Rogers Ignite XB7 Modem (WiFi - 10.0.0.1)
---------> MoCA Adapter -> OpenWRT TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Router
..............------------------> Network Switch -> Computer 1
........................................-------------------> Computer 2
........................................-------------------> Computer 3

Initially, I had my network set up as above and the OpenWRT router was set as a "Dumb AP" where all connections are resolved via the Rogers Ignite Modem/Router (so everything is on the 10.0.0.1 subnet).

For some reason, the Rogers router doesn't seem to support that many devices connected at one time so random devices on my network would lose internet connectivity.

I resolved this by putting all of my IOT devices (about 12 devices) onto my OpenWRT Router on a separate subnet (192.168.0.1).

New Setup
Coax -> Rogers Ignite XB7 Modem (WiFi - 10.0.0.1)
---------> MoCA Adapter -> OpenWRT TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Router (WiFi 192.168.0.1)
..............------------------> Network Switch -> Computer 1 (10.0.0.XX)
........................................-------------------> Computer 2 (10.0.0.XX)
........................................-------------------> Computer 3 (10.0.0.XX)

This resolved the disconnection problem I was having with everything being resolved via the Rogers Modem/Router.
The new problem is now that my IOT devices are on 192.168.0.1, my apple homekit integration does not work at all.

Questions:
1) Anyone have any ideas why my Rogers Modem/Router disconnects some devices in my original setup?
2) For my new setup to work, do i need a newer router to support homekit? The TP link router is about 10 years old now. If so, any recommendations?
3 replies
Dec 6, 2020
542 posts
536 upvotes
SBGoose wrote: The new problem is now that my IOT devices are on 192.168.0.1, my apple homekit integration does not work at all.
Apple Homekit probably expects both the IoT devices and your controlling devices (phones, computers, etc) to be on the same subnet.
Questions:
1) Anyone have any ideas why my Rogers Modem/Router disconnects some devices in my original setup?
Greed on Rogers behalf. They either don't want to spend the money on more capable routers or want to force people to upgrade to more expensive hardware to support more devices.

The least invasive solution for you would be to put your Rogers modem/router into bridge mode then use your TP-Link device as a router. This will bypass Rogers' device limits and will put all your devices on the same subnet.
[OP]
Jul 14, 2006
573 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
middleofnowhere wrote: Apple Homekit probably expects both the IoT devices and your controlling devices (phones, computers, etc) to be on the same subnet.
So HomeKit was working fine when I was off the wifi in my original configuration. It seems with this new configuration where the IOT devices are on 192.168.0.1, those devices can't communicate to HomeKit (only HomeKit isn't working outside of wifi. Alexa, EcoBee, Google Home are still working fine).
middleofnowhere wrote: The least invasive solution for you would be to put your Rogers modem/router into bridge mode then use your TP-Link device as a router.
I'll try that tonight, i'm wondering if MoCA will still work if i set my modem in bridge mode.
Dec 6, 2020
542 posts
536 upvotes
SBGoose wrote: I'll try that tonight, i'm wondering if MoCA will still work if i set my modem in bridge mode.
There's no good reason MoCA would stop working.