• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 12:49 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
421 posts
280 upvotes

Home Network Help --- MESH & Wired.

Hi RFD,

Need help setting up a simple home network. Simple goals are as follows.

1.) 4 wired ethernet connections 3 for TV and 1 for office
2.) Good wifi signal in all 3 levels of home.

Ideally would like no ugly bulky routers sticking out anywhere. Plan on leaving MESH devices behind TV that mounted to walls

I can’t seem to find answers on the following. Are there any MESH devices that take ethernet input and can output ethernet as well to a peripheral?
- In second floor I want a hard wired ethernet toTV. Do I need to run 2 cat6 cables? One for TV and one for MESH device?
- Same setup for main floor
- In basement where router is I would like to run 2 wired connections

What system would you all recommend? Presently have rogers home internet with Netgear R7000 router.
- Can I use the WIFI from this router and run some MESH devices to main floor?
- If not can I use a MESH device on this router and one MESH device on main floor and not run another MESH device upstairs? House is a small detach home.

Thank you all for your help!

I plan on running the cat6 lines soon through he walls!
Images
  • Network.jpg
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
learsid wrote: I can’t seem to find answers on the following. Are there any MESH devices that take ethernet input and can output ethernet as well to a peripheral?
I'm pretty sure the Unifi AP AC Pro can pass through.
I think lesser models only have a single ethernet port.
What system would you all recommend?
*hugs Unifi*
But I'm not sure I'd buy anything today. Wifi6 just became a thing.
Can I use the WIFI from this router and run some MESH devices to main floor?
Sure. It probably won't be a seamless handoff, but it will hand off.
If not can I use a MESH device on this router and one MESH device on main floor and not run another MESH device upstairs? House is a small detach home.
At a greater expense (ie another AP) this is what I'd do, especially if you traverse floors often with active devices.
If you're not using it actively, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15698 posts
2323 upvotes
learsid wrote: Hi RFD,

Need help setting up a simple home network. Simple goals are as follows.

1.) 4 wired ethernet connections 3 for TV and 1 for office
2.) Good wifi signal in all 3 levels of home.

Ideally would like no ugly bulky routers sticking out anywhere. Plan on leaving MESH devices behind TV that mounted to walls

I can’t seem to find answers on the following. Are there any MESH devices that take ethernet input and can output ethernet as well to a peripheral?
- In second floor I want a hard wired ethernet toTV. Do I need to run 2 cat6 cables? One for TV and one for MESH device?
- Same setup for main floor
- In basement where router is I would like to run 2 wired connections

What system would you all recommend? Presently have rogers home internet with Netgear R7000 router.
- Can I use the WIFI from this router and run some MESH devices to main floor?
- If not can I use a MESH device on this router and one MESH device on main floor and not run another MESH device upstairs? House is a small detach home.

Thank you all for your help!

I plan on running the cat6 lines soon through he walls!
Check out the TP-Link Deco M9 Plus AC2200 if you want small.

A mesh system would replace your R7000.

WiFi 6 is still in draft standard. Spending money on it would be premature and risky, IMHO.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3600 posts
701 upvotes
Kingston
It will be a long time before WIFI 6 becomes standard. First all the routers have to implement it, then you'll need to upgrade ALL your devices (computers, cell phones, media players, etc) to WIFI 6 capable devices. You are looking at yrs before it becomes standard as ppl will be reluctant to upgrade just for a boost in wifi speed when their current device is perfectly fine. There will be the early adopters like the hardcore gamers who care about performance and such, but for the average person that streams say Netflix, 5 Ghz does them just fine. Once they have to upgrade their devices over a few yrs, WIFI 6 will then be more readily available and more and more ppl will buy into it.

So I wouldn't determine my purchase on WIFI 6 when it will probably be yrs before it's the new norm. Sure you could future proof now, but in reality how long do ppl really keep their routers for nowadays? A couple of yrs maybe? Personally, I'd buy what you need now and then in a few yrs when WIFI 6 is more readily available, make the upgrade, but that's just me.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
421 posts
280 upvotes
Thanks guy! Still confused though. I looked into your suggested equipment.

The Unifi AP AC Pro has 2 ethernet. The second one can be used for data transfer. Thus I guess it can be used to connect to an android box
---however with this setup I will only have 2 total wired connections
---or do I connect the first unit to the modem and then a switch to that followed by the other AP?

The TP Link DECO looks like it can plug into the modem then a switch to it. Then followed by the slave AP. Shown in this diagram.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

---some reviews in general could be better for this system.

Am I on the right track?
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
421 posts
280 upvotes
Got the answer after some extensive search! For anyone else wanting to know with MESH networks this is how it is done.

MODEM -> base MESH WiFi ---> switch ----> wired devices & MESH satellites

Netgear ORBI has additional ethernet on them. Thus if you ran 1 cat6 ethernet to your TV area where you have your ORBI satellite you can plug additional WIRED devices in!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12126 posts
6684 upvotes
Brampton
Personally i'd still go Uni Fi AC Pro for the passthru where needed.

AC Lite where you don't

Netgear last I heard still hasn't gotten their crap together on the firmware side of things.
Jun 27, 2018
194 posts
133 upvotes
Let me tell you what I have. It seems our scenarios are similar.

I have 3 ASUS routers bought over the years.

AC68U - my main router Connected to modem.

A Ethernet cable running to basement and AC1900 ASUS iMesh node sits there. It work as WiFi spot and has 4 Ethernet ports used for various purpose such a printers. Now there is a 3 rd AC68U sitting in the bed room , which is a iMesh node. No Ethernet connection going there. It is connected to main router by WiFi. AC 68U has 4 Ethernet ports. I just use one to connect an Apple TV. All works well.

The entire system work well. ASUS mesh system works well , whether you connected with Ethernet or WiFi. It automatically choose better possible path. If you have equipments need Ethernet you can connect them to any of these nodes.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
421 posts
280 upvotes
After spending countless hours on this.

It seems like there is no flawless one. Every manufacturer has their issues.

I think this is partly due to every home being uniquely different.

Some have more features. Some easier to use.

But from what I seen the Orbi RBK50 just continues to impress people. Other than its size.

I just took a chance and ordered a used one from Amazon warehouse deals USA for $260cdn all in.

If it doesn't work I'll just return it.