Personal Finance

Home office expenses - personal taxes. Moving?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 1:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4508 posts
4922 upvotes

Home office expenses - personal taxes. Moving?

I've been claiming home office expenses as I have been eligible for several years. That said, I moved in 2018. I know we have to deduct the percentage of home use off of what we claim, and that makes sense, but the % of home vs business use has changed given my home floor plan has changed.

What numbers do I use when I file my 2018 taxes in 2019? The new home or the old home, or can I choose?

E.g. Old home: 25% was claimed for business (Sq footage of home office versus home, used 100% of the time)
New home: 10% is going to be claimed for business (sq footage of home office versus home, used 100% of the time)

Do I use 25%, or 10%, or will the online tools (HR block etc) force me to enter the relevant expenses for both addresses?

Thanks
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5131 posts
5084 upvotes
Ottawa
Claim your actual expenses. From the previous home you claim the actual 25% up to the date of the move and then claim 10% from the date of occupancy in the new house. As you have put in a change of address with CRA, it knows that you have moved.